|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Nervous dog in thunderstorms

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gonecampin

Palmetto, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dog starts shaking terribly when he hears rain or thunder. Im thinking he might put himself into cardiac arrest the way he shakes.His breathing goes very rapid and he starts panting. Does anyone have any ideas on how you calm a dog during rainstorms. I gave him a benadryl thinking that might make he more sedate this time. Thanks for any replies.

Dave

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Shortbed 4.7L 4x2 3:92 Rear GCWR 12500# Curb weight 5021# Tow rating 7350#
2004 Jayco Jayflight 27BH UVW 5084# GVWR 7500#
Tekonsha Voyager
Husky by Valley Industries W/D Hitch
Me
My wife
My handsome redheaded 7 year old boy

MY TRAILER AND TRUCK

HD Riders

Southwest OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's another thread running below called "its thundering" that is discussing the same topic so you might check there for help as well.

* This post was edited 07/28/06 01:49pm by HD Riders *

HD Riders (me, 1965 model, DH 1964 model)
Kids...yup..we got 'em!
Toys..
34' Gulf Stream Sun Vista
HD Superglide
HD Sportster
Critters...
Hailey our spoiled boxer princess
Max our 4-legged garbage disposal
Brutus our awesome NEW boxer rescue!

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I give my "terrified of thunderstorms golden retriever" benadryl. I have learned from watching Dog Whisperer that the best thing to do is be "totally calm" around the terrified dog and do not coddle them - ignore their "terrors and shaking" - you just reinforce their behavior - especially if you pat them or talk soothing to them during the storm. I've tried it the last two times we had storms and she's getting much better at not "reacting" - she has torn stuff up in the past - she now is "self-soothing" by sitting in the corner of the room - doing much less panting, etc.

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

Kfancii

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Ted doesn't like storms either and he will go hide in my bedroom closet, or in the bathtub if I'm not there. If I am home he thinks all 65lbs of him need to be on top of me. He has always had run of the house and is very spoiled to sleeping on the couch or at the foot of my bed. Lately he has been pulling all the covers off the bed while I'm gone so I closed the bedroom door to keep him out of there. Big mistake - he couldn't get to the closet or the bathtub and we had a storm and he wanted in so badly that he decided to chew up the doorframe trim in an effort to get to his safe place. He hasn't chewed anything he wasn't supposed to since he was a pup, so I know the thunder had him very spooked.

I am guilty of coddling him and trying to reassure him so I'm happy to learn that I shouldn't be doing that anymore. Thanks Snowhawkwoman!

Now...can someone please tell me how to keep him from sitting on me while I'm trying to sleep at night when we have a storm?? [emoticon] LOL

* This post was edited 07/28/06 01:58pm by Kfancii *

Kelly
Wally - 9 Yr. Rescued Aussie/Newfie/Lab Mix
Cooper - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Aussie Mix
Jack - 5 Yr. Old Rescued Golden/Chow Mix
Lucy- 2 Yr. Old Rescued Border Collie Mix

28ft. Work&Play 5'er

tomhole

Loveland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That works better for our dog as well. Trying to sooth her makes it twice as bad. Just being in the same room and letting her do her shaking seems to work best. No calming remarks, no soothing pats, just an occasional glance. Seems cruel, but she actually will lie down and go to sleep this way. Before, when we coddled her, we thought she might die from the shaking and panting.

Tom

Wife, 2 girls 14 & 11, 2 mini schnauzers, 2 cats, a pig and a fish
2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4, DC, SR5, 5.7L, 6 spd, 4.30 rear
2005 Toyota Sienna XLE
2008 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2701SS
F/A-18 Hornet 0-175 mph in 2 seconds

beakybec

Gridley, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowhawkwoman wrote:

I give my "terrified of thunderstorms golden retriever" benadryl. I have learned from watching Dog Whisperer that the best thing to do is be "totally calm" around the terrified dog and do not coddle them - ignore their "terrors and shaking" - you just reinforce their behavior - especially if you pat them or talk soothing to them during the storm. I've tried it the last two times we had storms and she's getting much better at not "reacting" - she has torn stuff up in the past - she now is "self-soothing" by sitting in the corner of the room - doing much less panting, etc.

While hard, the "tough love" thing works. My dog, a min pin, used to be very scared of thunder. It was so bad that she would associate any flashing light, like a camera flash or lights on the television, with being scared. She used to sit and shake until she was panting too. And of course we were sitting there petting her and saying "it's OK", which made it worse. Finally I decided to send her away if she acted like that. I would send her to her kennel. (Kennel is kept open all the time and when we tell her to go there she does and lays down. We rarely close the gate on it). Eventually, she learned that if she wanted to be next to us when she was scared, she had to be calm. Last night, we had a storm and she came and sat next to me. She was on edge but was not tense or shaking. She eventually went to sleep next to me. It took a few years and alot of broken hearts, but it worked. Good luck, hope you find something that works.

1976 Coachmen Deluxe TT with Jayco interior">

May the road be free of potholes,
and the headwinds be not strong.
May the fuel be not on empty,
and the road to camp not long.
-RV Blessing

Da Mudd, Miss Kitty & Raven

HD Riders

Southwest OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kfancii wrote:

Now...can someone please tell me how to keep him from sitting on me while I'm trying to sleep at night when we have a storm?? [emoticon] LOL

If you figure this out, please let me know. Hailey tries to get as close to me as possible but no matter how close she gets it's never close enough so she ends up laying on me!

Kfancii

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/06 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HD Riders wrote:

Kfancii wrote:

If you figure this out, please let me know. Hailey tries to get as close to me as possible but no matter how close she gets it's never close enough so she ends up laying on me!

So far the only answer I have come up with is to get out of bed and move to the couch! [emoticon]

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/06 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there is something you can try.

Our last furchild (passed away now, sob) was real uncertain about thunder and wanted reassurance. This was a nuscence, so I tried the following, which seemed to cure his fears completely. I put on a bathing suit and we went and walked and ran and played in the rain with the thunder booming all around. When it went boom I laughed and cheered. We both got wet, and some muddy, but after that he had no problem with thunder at all. He was a very smart German Shepherd, so don't know if it would work with all breeds.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Don Don

Pleasant Grove, AL {Suburb of Birmingham}

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/06 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing is to leave them alone and let them deal with it. You will do nothing but upset them more. I had a Boston that was the same way. Do not give them anything to calm them. The storm will be over by the time anything takes effect.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Nervous dog in thunderstorms
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.