|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Keeping pets on leashes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
anthop

Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE was at our regular camp ground, and we had our dog on the leash walking her. We have a brindle boxer, anyway we were walking her and we could not figure out how come there was so many dogs running loose? Are we the only ones here that bide by the rules. Well we were walking her on the beach and this little terrier dog come running at her and trying to attack her(kinda like a motorcycle taking on a semi)well we kept her pulled away from that little dog as much as we could but that damm little rat kept trying to bite her so I gave that little dog a swift kick and sent it yelping. The owners just sat and watched until I kicked their dog then they got mad, Oh well... Was I wrong, I did everything I could to keep that little dog away from my boxer. The owners yelled at me so I just waved and smiled and walked away Why don't people lease there dog I do???

2002 GMC 2500HD 6.0 4:10 2007 JAYFLIGHT 30.5 RLS

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you were wrong, because you should have yelled "get your mutt on a leash before I get you kicked out of here!" and then gone down to the office and complained loudly and persistently to the management until they took action.

Note that in such circumstances you should have your pepper spray handy, not for the dog (foot does work better) but for the idiot humans in case they get belligerent.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, there is a kick to push it away and there ia a viscious (sp?) kick... The owners were wrong, tho - I hate it when my dogs are approached by other dogs not on a leash. I can jerk the 4#er up by her harness but it is much harder to pick up the 20#er - particularly if I have both of them which I usually do. I don't understand people letting their dogs run loose, either. It is dangerous for the loose dog and thoughtless & inconsiderate of everyone else & their pets.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run into this also. Our little fuzz butt golden is a bit aggressive when other dogs come by...total wuss for humans...go figure, The Dog Whisperer could probably solve it in 5 minutes.

I think a 'push it away kick' is fine and the owners had a serious moron-chip problem.

-Kent

* This post was edited 07/29/06 05:56pm by SkiingSixPack *

My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Rick From Sequim

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a heavy walking stick when we walk with our dog on leash. I can't condone kicking the other dog, but I would have done the same thing, or I'd have smacked it with my walking stick. Ignorance of the rules is no defense, so people with off lead dogs that are out of control need to be dealt with on a self defense basis. I am too old and my joints are too far gone to untangle my on leash dog from some disruptive unleashed dog. My dog is friendly and thinks all other dogs are playmates. If he is attacked, I WILL defend him to the best of my ability, as I would my wife or grand children.

It's a real shame there are so many jerks out there that don't control their dogs. It makes it much more difficult for those of us that are responsible pet owners.

Rick ">
& wife Loie & Kodi Dog (blk male std poodle)
2011 GMC Sierra & 2005 25' Bigfoot RQ

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question is does the campground have a leash rule? If not you probably should find a new place. If it does then complain until the manager either asks you to leave or fixes the problem. If course if he asks you to leave you sue the campground. Good luck

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

RVJohn

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the other posters saying complain to the mangement.But thats after the fact right?If a unleached dog ever runs up to me and my dog who is always on a leach and trys to bite him or me.He would be lucky to get by with just a kick.I`am not the bad guy here.Its the owner of the unleached dog thats in the wrong.I will do what ever it takes to protect me and my dog.

tow vehicle-2004.5 Dodge 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-600 Cummins Turbo Diesel-4-speed automatic,48RE,short bed-SRW
Prodigy brake controllar
2001 3280RL Montana
reese 16K slider,roll&lock bed cover
Yahama EF300iSEB
Garmin 7200 GPS
5th Air Borne/sidewinder

Jasiu

this year, the East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, of course you're not wrong. It's a bit naive to suggest a "push-it-away" kick. Such a gesture wouldn't even get the attention of a yapper focused on snarling at your leashed dog. You did what the owners would not--you stopped the potential fight. As I said on another thread, I don't understand these people who own these cutesipoo litttle dogs, thinking their dogs can do no wrong and the rules don't apply to their dogs because they're smaller than the rest.

Horseplay

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did what I would have done in those circumstances. You probably saved that other dog from getting mauled by yours, so a kick is nothing when you look at the scheme of things. Those people were jerks.

corgihauler

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/06 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been fortunate that the loose dogs that come up to us while we're walking Gigi on her leash haven't tried to bite her.

I agree that the owners of the dog should have had their dog leashed in the first place and at the least came after their dog rather than putting your dog, wife, and you at risk. A push with your foot to show the dog not to come closer would be in order if the animal hadn't been aggressive, but since he was, you were right to use a bit of force (not too much but more than just a push) to try and get the animal to back off.
It is dangerous to bend down so you could pick up a dog in a situation like you experienced. Better to risk a leg than your face.

I don't like loose dogs either.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Keeping pets on leashes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.