RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Anyone using camper supports?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone using camper supports?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
doc.herb

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is anyone using camper supports under their camper when off-loaded? I have just taken notice of a product offered by Torklift, through dealers, called 'Camp'r Pack'r', which are essentially saw horses. Torklift sells the hardware and recommends 2x6 lumber for construction, which they say will be support up to 3,000# per horse, or 6,000# total load capacity. Would like to get my camper off the jacks when off-loaded. Any thoughts? See the link:

http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=campr_packr

Fulltiming since 09/06. Me and her.
'06 Chevy 3500 D/A, Crew, LB, DRW, 4x4, AirSprings, Double-leaf SuperSprings, Rancho 9000X, Hellwig Anti-Sway, XM Radio
'06 OKanagan 116 TC (2 slides), solar, satellite, Direct TV, Onan genset, Laptop w/ AirCard

18seeds

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CLickable Link

I use metal sawhorses that the previous owner gave me.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo DIESEL

Bill, KE7FSV

Taylorsville(Salt Lake City area), UT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/06 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the past 11 years I have used homemade wooden stands. They are getting pretty weather beaten and I am having steel stands made.
Unfortunately, my unit has to stay outside year round.

2007 Tango 2660RKS FW, 2006 Chevy 3500 D/A with service body.

BiGG

MI - WI - FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those saw horses are nearly worthless unless you are parked on perfectly level ground. If one side of the saw horse is elevated even slightly above the other the “low” side is going to be getting most of the weight instead of evenly distributing the weight like it should be. Not only that, they are big and cumbersome.

[image]

I use and highly recommend Aluminum Stacker Jacks (with a small piece of wood placed on top) as they are light in weight, can be adjusted for any variance in the terrain and are easily transported.

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those saw horses are nearly worthless unless you are parked on perfectly level ground. If one side of the saw horse is elevated even slightly above the other the “low” side is going to be getting most of the weight instead of evenly distributing the weight like it should be. Not only that, they are big and cumbersome.

I agree, I use 4 jack stands, with a hardwood 3X3 across in pairs.

Bob

Bob & Jan

HJJ

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought some aluminum jacks to support my TC. They looked as though could have been too light. The disclaimers on the box they came in made me uncomfortable also. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying some cinder blocks. It was probably overkill but it put my mind at ease. I considered saw horses but my owner's manual said to store the TC as low to the ground as possible and I didn't trust myself enough to build them. The last thing I want to do is worry about how solid my TC is being supported. If it fell, I would never hear the end of it.....

01 Lance 1010 96 Ford F250 XLT 460ci air lift, drawtite front receiver hitch,Tow Beast rear hitch, front and rear sway bars, Happijacks

CTD

Stockton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using the triangular automotive support stands as they are rated at 4000# each minimum with a 4X4 across the floor area. I shim the cradle of the stand to insure level but the aluminum jackstands would be easier to use. I am not familiar with their load capacity. I leave the legs of the camper jacks just touching the ground in the event something should happen figuring it's cheap insurance.

2012 Roadtrek Agile

davedye

New Columbia, Pa. 17856

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/06 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Lance 845 Lite which states, "do not use sawhorses, cinderblocks etc. to support the camper in the off truck position".

Dave
2006 Dodge Ram Dually, 3500 Quad Cab 4X4, 4.10 Gears, Cummins Diesel
2008 Lance 981 Max, Torklifts, Class V Reese Tow Beast with 24" extension, Torklift Stable Loads
2005 Triton DV 176 DV w/150hp Mercury Optimax

BiGG

MI - WI - FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/06 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davedye wrote:

I have a Lance 845 Lite which states, "do not use sawhorses, cinderblocks etc. to support the camper in the off truck position".

Only assuming here but I imagine they are talking about only using ”sawhorses, cinderblocks etc” like setting the camper on blocks and not using the jacks in conjunction with the sawhorses, cinderblocks etc. I highly doubt Lance is talking about using them in addition to the jacks like most of us do to add stability the jacks alone don’t provide. I don’t like my slide-in being “wiggly” at all and the only way to prevent that is supplement the jacks with additional support.

davedye

New Columbia, Pa. 17856

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/06 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what ever reason, mine is different. I haven't had it long, however, over the weekend we spent two days in it, off the truck, simply on the jacks, lowered to the ground, it doesn't wiggle or move with us in it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone using camper supports?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS