|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The DEFINTIVE Honda EU2000/AC thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, you've all asked for it. Well... A BUNCH of you have. [emoticon]

So here it is. Maybe make this one sticky. Maybe make it part of the FAQ or whichever. But I'll give you first hand account.
Note: This applies to sea level (REALLY sea level, as in, on the beach.)
We just got back from 12 days on Portsmouth Island, NC. We were there with 2 other couples in TCs. I have a EU2000i to supplement my Onan 2500LP. They power my Dometic Brisk Air A/C (13,500). My buddy has an EU2000i to supplement his Onan 2500LP. His rig has a Coleman Polar Cub (7,700). The temps last week easily reached well into the 90's on the beach and with the humidity, it was HOT! I was able to START and RUN my A/C with my EU2000 on full mode. In fact, what I discovered was that I could start my AC, move the thremostat to coldest setting and the unit would not cycle but would stay on. Once the AC had started, I could flip it to ECO mode and the revs would settle some. It would happliy run like this for hours as well as running a small fan. My nightly rountine was to cool my rig down with the Honda on ECO mode for several hours and then just before bed, I would swtich the AC to fan-only mode for the balance of the evening. By accident, I found that the EU2000 would cycle my AC while in eco mode. One evening, while running in my normal mode (ECO on, couple of fans running) my wife woke up and was hot and stuffy and switched the AC back on. I listened to the gen pick up and manage to start the compressor. The only thing I can attribute that to was the fact that, with two fans running, the gen was not at its idle but had enough of an elevated rpm level to make enough power to start the compressor.
My buddy on the other hand had even better luck. He found that he could run his EU2000 in eco mode and the AC would start and cycle thru the night without a problem. It is well documented here that the Polar Cub cools better because it doesn't cycle as much but at night, they would set it on low fan and the warmest thermostat setting so they would be frozen out. In fac, this combination ran SO well, that he ren his AC nearly 24/7 (he has 4 dogs in his rig, one of which is a 14 year old Pom as well as two teens). Both I and his brother (the other couple camping with us) will be replacing our AC units next year with Polar Cubs. We used the extended run tanks from Duration Power (www.durationpower.com I think). These are 6 gallon tanks which feed the Honda. They are worth every penny. We changed the oil on our units twice while out there and they NEVER so much as hiccuped.

Nik
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD "Outdoorsman"
CC, LB 4x4, SRW, 6-spd Auto, 3.73LSD, Timbrens, TorkLifts and HappiJac QwikLoads

2005 Lance 1010

Member - Cape Lookout Mobile Sportfishermen

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posting in Truck Campers?

srmanuel47

Haughton, La.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post. I am considering adding a Polar Cub to the bedroom in my 5er. Glad to hear it worked well. I have two Honda 2000 gensets. They run the 15000 btu ac, but I mainly want to just run the Polar Cub at night and on very hot days.

Steve: Pilot
Kathy: Co-pilot
Chloe: Choc.Lab
2005 Cedar Creek Custom 36RLTS 5er
2005 Ford F-350 Turbodiesel, longbed, SRW.

">">Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

JacintoKid

San Antonio, Texas (formerly sheepdog)

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Posting in Truck Campers?

Yes. This is really a T/C specific thread as a Polar Cub A/C would be too small for most other RV types. It's also a topic that is discussed in this forum often.

2014 Toyota tacoma 4WD
2014 FourWheel Camper Fleet model
OME full suspension swap

Greg B

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive had simmilar experiences with my 13.5K BTU high effeciency A/C. My Honda 2000 will easily run the A/C in econo mode along with everything else in the camper.(TV/DVD player, fridge, lights, inverter, etc... basicly everything but the micro). I dont like the heat so whenever the temps get close to 80, the A/C is running. This has led to some 3-4 day stretches of non-stop generator running, pausing only for refueling.(I could sure use one of those 6 gal. extended run tanks!). Never yet had a mechanical problem with the Honda, or have I tripped the circut breaker on the genset.

Great little generator.

04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

jetsnow

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my eu2000 runs my AC on my artic fox. I believe its a polar cub but not sure what it is. its whatever comes on the 2006 arctic fox 811.

Sean

95 Safari Serengeti 37' 300hp Cummins
2004 Weekend Warrior FB3000 34' triple axle toy hauler

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/06 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"We used the extended run tanks from Duration Power (www.durationpower.com I think). These are 6 gallon tanks which feed the Honda."

Looks like the common setup of a 6 gallon outboard motor tank with a spare gas cap with the hole drilled in the center.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

the trippers

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/06 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Honda 2000 that runs our 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach PS (power saver?) high efficiency AC at 4,500 ft elev, at 100 deg, even on Eco, but not much else, a couple lights and the small TV. On Eco it has tripped the breaker when cycling off and on.

2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

PopBeavers

Coarsegold, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/06 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Honda 2000 works fine at sea level, but will not start the a/c at all at 7,000 feet.

I almost never camp at sea level, mainly because I live at 200 feet. I go away for the weekend.

Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/06 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with "the trippers" my PS seriers 13.5 runs fine with the eu2000 cycling in eco mode. No need to downgrade to 7.7 unit.

PopBeavers . . . how often do you need the a/c at 7,000 feet?

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The DEFINTIVE Honda EU2000/AC thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS