|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Springs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smh1040us wrote:

I am trying to do some research on adding additional springs to my 2006 GMC 2500 CC deisel.

What, if anything, is the difference between "supersprings" and "overload springs"?

Is there a recommended place to buy the springs? How easy or difficult to install?

What other add-on are recommended to beef up the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Supersprings are supposed to give you a smooth ride when unloaded and proportionally (increasing spring rate)pick up the load when you put weight on (as opposed to helpers or timbrens that have a gap with no action, then they pick up at their spring rate for the whole travel). They go for about $400 (you will need the SA15 springs and a mounting kit as your springs are above the axle). SuperSprings are a breeze to install, most anyone can do it; so are Timbrens. Helpers vary by manufacturer in ease of install. Putting on a 3500 spring pack or upgrading yours by adding a leaf is a much tougher job. Air bags give you infinite options for varying loads, but you have to adjust air pressure - I like the on board air compressor approach. There is also the consideration that the air bags could get a flat. The other approaches mostly don't have that issue. SuperSprings and Air Bags is touted as the hot setup as the air bags can be used to trim the adjustment, level at the camp site, etc. and the effect of a possible air bag flat is mitigated.

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

doc.herb

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/06 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vanbiekhorse wrote:

"Supersprings are supposed to give you a smooth ride when unloaded and proportionally (increasing spring rate)pick up the load when you put weight on (as opposed to helpers or timbrens that have a gap with no action, then they pick up at their spring rate for the whole travel). They go for about $400 (you will need the SA15 springs and a mounting kit as your springs are above the axle). SuperSprings are a breeze to install, most anyone can do it; so are Timbrens."

Regarding the Supersprings, you have a GMC. A SuperSprings dealer will advise the A10 kit for your truck, as you will also find on the SuperSprings web site (http://www.supersprings.com/) (sits on top of your overload spring, if your truck came with the camper package, making the overload spring active all the time). However, I can say with some recent personal experience that the single leaf A10s were a help but not as much help as I needed with a 5000# camper (loaded and wet) on a new '06 Chevy 3500. So, after asking a few questions I found that SuperSprings makes a two leaf setup, the A15s, which is the same length as the A10s. I like this setup much better, but the drawback is that they recommend a three hole shackle fore and aft with the A15 kit as opposed to the two hole shackle on the A10s, which when mounted on my truck in the third or lowest hole allowed for so much play that I was experiencing a banging noise when unloaded (SuperSprings are supposed to 'self-adjust' which requires that there be some play). Still not sure what was hitting what. But the third hole is supposed to give you about the same unloaded ride as before the installation. I had to go to the second hole to stop the banging, but I found the the second hole gives a rough unloaded ride but much improved loaded ride. I personally accept the tradeoff. I bought mine from 'Steve' at LoadandTow.com. He has been very helpful and I give him top marks for customer service. Good luck.

Fulltiming since 09/06. Me and her.
'06 Chevy 3500 D/A, Crew, LB, DRW, 4x4, AirSprings, Double-leaf SuperSprings, Rancho 9000X, Hellwig Anti-Sway, XM Radio
'06 OKanagan 116 TC (2 slides), solar, satellite, Direct TV, Onan genset, Laptop w/ AirCard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.