RV.Net Open Roads Forum: GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NAUTIQUE

SOUTHEASTERN MA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/06 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well hello to all,
Glad to hear how happy everyone seems to be w/ GB. Makes me feel like I've made a good choice.
Looks like we'll be making the trip this Wednesday to pick it up it Tn. and driving home to Ma. thru Sunday.
Looking forward to this adventure. Hope all goes well!

Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! ">

Catdave

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/06 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaveMac wrote:

I made the mistake of replacing my GY 195s at 7 years and 35,000 miles. Lots of tread left and no cracks or blemishes inside and out!

You think replacing tires at 7 years is a mistake?
Would you consider adding me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy? [emoticon]

DaveMac wrote:

Just ignore that talk about the V-10 spitting spark plugs -- it's a darn good engine.

No one's saying the V10 isn't a good engine, but will you be there with checkbook in hand to pay for a new/repaired cylinder head if and when THEIR engine spits a plug?
A search on ANY forum where the V10 is mentioned (RV forums, pickup truck forums, etc.) will reveal that the problem is a very real concern for engines of that vintage. To suggest someone just ignore it because YOU haven't had the problem is really bad advice.
Give the people all of the information and let them make their own determination as to whether to buy the product or not.

2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L

DaveMac

Citrus Heights, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/06 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get real Catdave -- more Workhorse chassis' spit engines when the oil pump failed than all the V-10s with plug problems!

2007 FIESTA LX
TRITON V-10 & JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
3 TIMES RETIRED
CH. 13 "BLACKJACK"

dmpoo1

Warren, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/06 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we have a '98 cruise master 35 ft. on a p-32 chassis. she goes down the road just fine. did wander a bit when we first got it used about a year ago, but I had some bolts tighten up ynderneath that
appearred to be loose from manufacture as the nylon thread locks had never been tightened up. the previous owner had Steer-Safe put on and bilstien shocks. she still went where she wanted to, but not anymore. I can get about 9.5 to 10 mpg towing an s-10 2 WD automatic
pickup. live in Ohio, went to Ca, AZ, N.M. Tex and fla last winter
and just returned from Yellowstone a few weeks ago with no major problems except an Emergancy Park Brake fiasco. You need to understand the workings of the Parking Brake so when it fails you have some isea how to deal with it. My problem turned out to be a corroded fuse in the fuse block. good luck and many happy/safe travels

Dave

2003 NEWMAR Kountry Star
2009 CHEVY HHR LT2 2.4L w/Brake Buddy

Catdave

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaveMac wrote:

Get real Catdave -- more Workhorse chassis' spit engines when the oil pump failed than all the V-10s with plug problems!

I'm not aware of (nor do I care about) any widespread problems with WH chassis' losing engines due to oil pump failure. If you have supporting information please post it as I'm sure all the members with WH engines would be interested.
Regardless, we're discussing Fords here, so Ford vs. Chevy pissin matches aside I'd still advise the OP to AT LEAST do an internet search and read up on the occurrences of spark plug problems with earlier Fords. That way they can make up their own mind.
As I said earlier- good engines, just do your homework. [emoticon]

Dave A

Espanola, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 1998 35' Cruisemaster on a F-53 chassis. It has about 70,000 km on it (50,000 mi). No real issues. I installed a set of Firestone Ride-rite air bags on rear end and made a world of difference. Run Monroe shocks all around. Good luck on your purchase.

Dave

Rog & Nan

Michigan City, IN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/06 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi - We have been the proud owners of a '96 Cruise Master for 10 years. Bought new and ordered things we wanted in it. We have made a lot of changes inside and out. Have put on Bilsteins-Safe-t-Plus and Banks Power. We REALLY love this unit and thought we would eventually trade up but it is just too good to get rid of. It is a P-30 454 Chevy and we have been to Calif. once and out to Colorado a couple of times, down to Florida. We have never had a problem with it. Put new tires on last year. Just last week we had all belts changed and hoses changed radiator flushed tires rotated and transmission flushed and new filter. Also last year took it to factory to have roof recaulked and new skylight in bathroom. Actually it is one of the last true Georgie Boys to come off the line -- Coachman was in the process of acquiring GBM when we ordered. We are going to treat "her" right and maybe she will treat us good and hold up until we are ready to give up our lovely road trips.
We think GBoy's are a great bank for your buck!!

Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

lobshot694

volunteer state

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really like ours. The dump valve area seems to have been designed by an idiot......but I (along with others) modded and it works fine.

Tom and Lynne
Air Force Retired
2005 35' Georgie-Boy Pursuit V-10
The 'Babies' Abby the little black dog
Chelsea the talking cat
and introducing
Uncle Billy the ferel kitten saved from sewer pipe

Lumpman

NE

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got our GB this spring. It was our 2nd coach, and bought it used from the 2nd owner.

The original owner did some nice mods on it. Added new springs and airbags to the front. Also steering stabilizers, new bell crank, and new Bilsteins all around. Wow. Compared to my old 95 Ford Class A with the leaf spring front, boy is it so much easier to drive. Huge, huge difference.

When I picked it up from the 2nd owner, the engine ran strong but it needed some TLC to get it up to par. I put headers and a high flow exhaust on (cat out). High temp racing wires, new plugs, rotor, cap. New engine mounts. Replaced the valve cover gaskets, all the filters, and most of the fluids (work in progress). Replaced the heat soaked starter too. Recaulked/reinstalled the bathroom window, and probably need to do some roof touch up. But over all nothing I wasn't expecting with a 94 coach with 80K miles. I've been really really impressed with this coach and it's quality, and hope to keep it a long, long time.

Lumpman
2008 Forest River Georgetown 373DS VP
Ford V-10

TX Camper

Corpus Christi, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought our first RV which is a 1994 28ft Georgie Boy Swinger (P30 Chasis with FI 454). It is in excellent condition and the previous owner had a JET Air brand air bag suspension and auto leveling system installed. Since it is our first motorhome I really can't compare the air ride suspension to one without it, but the rig rides pretty nicely. It does wander a bit when a good sized cross wind hits, but other than that it drives alot better than I thought a 30ft motorhome would.

I will be watching this Thread closely as I would love to hear some other GBM owners Tips/Mods/Sugestions as well.

Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the GBM family. lol

* This post was edited 08/19/06 10:15am by TX Camper *

One Wife, Two Kids, Two Dogs, & Moi ">

1994 28' Georgie Boy Swinger
P30 & 454
JET Air Ride Suspension w/ Auto Park & Level
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer & Super Steer Bell Crank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.