Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Screen package For Side & Rear Door Roadtrek Sprinter?

Posted By: happyface on 08/29/06 05:58pm

Greetings,
Does anyone order a Screen Package for Side & Rear door opening from Roadtrek for the Sprinter yet?I checked their website and saw it listed as an option.Please let me know if you have the numbers or how to place an order. After 2 months travel in Alaska & Canada I wish I have the Screen so I can enjoyed more outdoor than just shut the doors and being inside the van because the mosquitoes and bugs attacked.
Thanks so much .

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 08/29/06 06:52pm

Looking at the Bug Barrier web site it says only the rear screens are available, but I believe both are now available. I suggest you be sitting down when you get the price quote from your Roadtrek dealer.
"Roadtreks are conversion specific and must be purchased and, installed by a factory dealer".

Posted By: Andy D'Urso on 08/29/06 09:05pm

I made my own screen for my back window. I used the plastic screen and made a pattern with heavy paper held up against the window frame. I used Velcro to attached the screen. The hard plastic velcro was attached against the window frame. The soft fabric velcro was attached to the screen. I used Duct tape on the opposite side of the screen so that the sticky part of the velcro and the sticky side of the tape made contact thru the screen. Screen stays in place all of the time and all we need to do is lift it to place a wedge to keep the window open when we are parked.

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 08/29/06 09:23pm

Happyface is talking about this.

[image]

Posted By: happyface on 08/29/06 09:43pm

Rodger wrote:

Happyface is talking about this.

[image]

Rodger,
Actually the one I am looking for is the Insect Screen.I found one just now at Upscaleauto.com/sprinter Sorry I forgot how to up load the pictures but you can see them at their web site.They want the rear door for$235.00 ,side door for for $159.99 plus tax and shipping & handling .Very expensive I have to give it a very good thought before I invest on these bug screens.Might be next summer...
Thanks so much Rodger.
Kim

* This post was edited 08/29/06 09:57pm by happyface *

Posted By: Suebea on 08/29/06 09:49pm

We have them and love them. They were installed at the factory when our unit was built. We have the screens for both the rear and the side doors.

I'll have to ask my husband to find the price of them since he is kind enough to do all of our filing. We're pretty busy getting our daughter off on Thursday for a year in Spain, and marrying off a grandson on Saturday, so it will be next week before he has a chance to look.

They certainly weren't cheap, though.

Sue

Posted By: ecklein on 08/30/06 03:07pm

Suebea wrote:

We have them and love them. They were installed at the factory when our unit was built. We have the screens for both the rear and the side doors.

I'll have to ask my husband to find the price of them since he is kind enough to do all of our filing. We're pretty busy getting our daughter off on Thursday for a year in Spain, and marrying off a grandson on Saturday, so it will be next week before he has a chance to look.

They certainly weren't cheap, though.

Sue

We ordered them factory installed with our new Adventurous. We ordered the "SC" option (Screens for side & rear cargo door openings). The price was $325 -- like Sue said - not cheap.

Posted By: happyface on 08/30/06 03:36pm

We ordered them factory installed with our new Adventurous. We ordered the "SC" option (Screens for side & rear cargo door openings). The price was $325 -- like Sue said - not cheap.

Hi,
I have the van since last November.Didn't know anything about this option up until now saw it on their web site.You know where I can place an order?It is worth it for $325.00 if it installed by the Roadtrek.Thanks in advance .
Kim

Posted By: ecklein on 08/30/06 03:50pm

Rodger wrote:

Looking at the Bug Barrier web site it says only the rear screens are available, but I believe both are now available. I suggest you be sitting down when you get the price quote from your Roadtrek dealer.
"Roadtreks are conversion specific and must be purchased and, installed by a factory dealer".

The "Bug Barrier" data sheet that came with our factory installed screens says that the rear cargo screen is a standard screen but the side screen is made only for Home & Park Road Trek's for their specific conversion.

Posted By: ecklein on 08/30/06 04:00pm

happyface wrote:

Hi,
I have the van since last November.Didn't know anything about this option up until now saw it on their web site.You know where I can place an order?It is worth it for $325.00 if it installed by the Roadtrek.Thanks in advance .
Kim

I would suggest first giving your dealer a call to see if they can get and install them for you or call RT (1-888-762-3873) and ask them if they will sell directly to you. If you are handy, you could probably install them yourself, but I would advise looking at a van with factory installed screens first to see just where the velco should be placed and how the fixed portion of the rear screen gets installed _under_ the RT provided trim strips (which would have to be removed temporarly to install the screen).

Posted By: happyface on 09/05/06 01:13pm

Just got a quote for a dealer $675 no istallation.I thought it was so expensive compare to you only $325.00 .I was just wonder the back screen is standard .If you dont mind can you post a pictures so I can see if I can order through "Bug Barrie".I dont know why my dealer charging much more than yours??Thank you .
Kim

Posted By: Aikensbest on 09/05/06 04:35pm

I would suggest a call to Bug Barrier screens in Medina, Oh. they have a toll free number and will be able to assist in all screens for all vans.

Aikensbest
2001 GreatWestClassic

Posted By: ecklein on 09/05/06 05:15pm

happyface wrote:

Just got a quote for a dealer $675 no istallation.I thought it was so expensive compare to you only $325.00 .I was just wonder the back screen is standard .If you dont mind can you post a pictures so I can see if I can order through "Bug Barrie".I dont know why my dealer charging much more than yours??Thank you .
Kim

Ouch!

My price was for factory installed. Dealers always charge an arm and a leg, but that seems a bit much.. Have you called RT direct to see if they can help you?

Bug Barrier _will_ sell the rear cargo screen to you _but_ as they say on their web site:

"We do some retail from the factory for custom screening or earlier models. For current models, our prices would be higher than most dealers or converters."

According to their price list, the direct to you price to you for the Sprinter cargo door screen alone is $379 (also ouch!).

The wife and I are heading out for a two week outing tomorrow so I don't think I can get any pictures before getting back, however the picture Rodger posted is what it looks like. What you can't see from the picture is that there is a fixed part, about 3 or 4 inched wide that is permanently attached to the sides and ceiling (under the trim on the sides and wood on the top) with a zipper sewn to the edges of those pieces. The removable screen than attaches, with the zippers to the fixed part and zips up the left and right sides to the middle of the top.

The zippers are the kind with double controls like a tent, i.e. when you zip it up from the bottom one control goes to the top and one stays at the bottom. You can then either unzip from the top down or the bottom up (to get to the storage under the rear seat) - very handy.

Hope that description makes some sense.

Rodger posted the link to the Bug Barrier site (http://www.bugbarrierscreen.com/sprinter.htm) so you might want to look around there.

Good luck,

Ernie

Print  |  Close