|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torn Jack Repaired

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
2nakiller

Vegas, Santa Barbara,or Zihua

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/06 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for those of you who saw my original post and were wondering...

Here

I have finished the repairs in time for a quick Labor day run to Southern Utah...

I was able to find a local source for the aluminum skin and they had a piece made up for me in about 4 hours.
in a nutshell I will try to describe the repairs I made.

First the framing was only broken in about 2 places, using Marine Epoxy and long stainless screws and some big clamps I was able to get everything back in it's proper place.

[image]

[image]

I then replaced a section of 2X2 and epoxyed it to good framing along with some angle brackets and flat plates to add support.

[image]

I did some rust removal on the angle brackets that are under the jack mounts and painted them with epoxy paint, then I began replacing the old aluminum siding and all the trim, I removed all the grey goop that is under every piece of trim etc... and replaced it with new grey goop tape.

there is a slight color difference in the new panel but I can live with that.

[image]

[image]

[image]

2000 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 Longbed 7.3 SRW 6 speed
Bilstiens, Bags & Happijac
1996 11'6" Weekender side entry (The Beast)">
2015 Puma 295 Bunkhouse 5er

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/06 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job, sorry you had to do it in the first place. Do you think you found a new trade?

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's at times like this that you have to appreciate the ease of repair (relatively speaking) of the aluminum skinned TC. This would have been a major project that the average owner wouldn't have been able to handle on a camper with a Filon exterior. Good job, 2na.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job, and good pictures.

Bob

Bob & Jan

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did a great looking job and better than that you thought it through... it should be structurally sound.

2nd comment...

Replacing Filon for areas like the skirts shouldn't be much trouble if you could get the material (source anyone).

I took pictures as Lance factory worked on our camper after the guy crashed into us in MS. The small areas ( less than 4'X4' seem to be one man jobs... bigger than that it takes a crew.)

The skirts get all of the road water... they are the first place to fail on most all truck campers. You can feel the damage from outside if it is bad.

They painted all hidden surfaces with thin coating of "black rubber paint" before they put it back together. and used foam board insulation instead of fiberglass... won't hold water

I watched Jim Allens crew take our campers top off, back off, slide out, and repair the skirt... by and large... they impressed me with all of their work... Along with the pictures that I took and the daily inspections I learned a lot.

I just wish GM, Ford, and Dodge made us truck campers with the quality of our trucks. They'd be much more expensive but they'd be pretty much trouble free except for accidents.

* This post was edited 08/30/06 05:52am by sleepy *

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

2nakiller

Vegas, Santa Barbara,or Zihua

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itchey Feet wrote:

Do you think you found a new trade?

Well not really, I've been doing audio/video system fabrication and installation as my trade for the last 25 years, and have spent my share of time around many different jobsites. Before that I worked in the Auto Upholstery and accessory buisness for several years and I'm not afraid to start cutting... I have most of the tools needed and I'm not afraid to buy more, I think that helps me out in the repair area, I was just glad to be able to find the replacement aluminum siding here in Vegas.

The structure of these campers is pretty simple and if you take your time and think each step through, and try to get all your supplies on one trip to the store it goes much smoother.
I would estimate that I spent about 25-30 hours total, and I wouldn't hesitate to tear into it again if need be.

Thanks for all the compliments, and I just hope this helps some others on the board to jump in and do some of their own repairs.

This whole fiasco ended up costing under $200 for materials, Glad I didn't report it to the insurance, I'm pretty sure they are tired of hearing my name lately.

And remember to raise those jacks!

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll echo all of the above, very good job! If this just had to happen and down the road you decided to sell you camper to an individual, you will be able to tell him of the problem and say with honesty it's fixed and fixed right and here is the pictures to prove it! If you can work with tools, 90% of tearing into one of these jobs is the unknown....taking that first step getting started.

John H

30yrtc

Monson,Me

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/06 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job, hope mine turns out as well. Your post gave me some encouragement.

Front Right Jack: Using Steel angle iron to buck up the Framing inside,
Downside, If I hit it again, good bye to the whole right side...

OH, used the Marine epoxy, with Fiberglass between wood bracing, hope it was not a mistake..

FILON< found a RV repair place, got about 4 feet of the stuff, for a 7x18 patch,
if anyone needs any, drop me a line with dimensions.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torn Jack Repaired
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS