RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 45  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Slo Pok

Grand Prairie TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Licence Plate on a Corvette, started using it back in 1972 when I bought a 69 Corvette for $3100.00! It only cost $5600 new.

05 Chevy DRW Duramax Allison crew cab 4x4 Lance Max 1181

Dixonmatco

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dixon is my name, Tools are my game! (current DM)

Actually the "Dixon" part is a stage name I came up with over 30 years ago when I was a traveling musician playing in a band. Richard is my real name. (I was never a "Rick" and I sure didn't want to be a "Dick")

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

Canadian Camper

Iroquois, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the name implies.

VE3COK
2009 Jayco 30G Greyhawk Class 'C' Motorhome
Wife, 3 Kids ,2 Shelties and 1 Pug

Junket

Klamath Falls Or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a auto salvage yard for a long time one day a female blue healer pup wandered in with a broken leg (had to have it removed)and just stayed the employees called her Try Pod but the customers called her junk yard dog hence female junk dog Junket had her for for 13 years not just a good dog but a great dog.
Ken

2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott is a fine looking dog but, 'Spott', you have way too much time on your hands, buddy!!! (thinking up topics like this)

Okay, ...back when I was a truck camper operator wannabe, I had to come up with a screen name real fast for the RV.net and truck campers made me think of 'turtles' -- having their homes on their backs, so to speak. After having latched onto that idea, I found that "Turtle" was already taken and "Tortue" (French for turtle) was likewise. It was kind of natural for me to jump to latin after that. "Testudo" was _free_.

A lot of people make the connection between my living in 'Maryland' and the University of Maryland mascot (Testudo). I _am_ an alumnus and former member of the faculty and staff of the University of Maryland and I _did_ spend several years within a stone's throw of the bronze Testudo in front of McKeldin Library. But that had nothing to do with picking 'Testudo' -- just coincidence. I would have simply taken 'Turtle' if it had been available.

Incidentally, the great bronze Testudo seems to be gone from McKeldin Library. I guess a virgin finally managed to graduate from the University, so, ...Testudo spread his wings... and flew away (sad).

realter wrote:

Realtor is a trademarked word, and I could get in trouble using it in a forum like this, so I'm told.

I'm _relieved_ to hear this explanation, 'realter'. Every time I would see your posts, I would fret over the spelling! (I'm a _really_ lousy speller, myself!) I always wanted to say something but you seemed to get enough flak, here, without me piling on with one more detail [grin!]. Also, Realty is often the profession of 'last resort' (few people who enter the field are consistently successful). Given the 'wannabe' realtors that I've run into in a professional capacity, I wouldn't be too surprised to find one that went through an entire career spelling it "t-e-r" [grin!]. I'm just glad to hear that _you_ aren't one of those!

ON EDIT: added photo

[image]
Genu-wine Maryland Terrapin (Do not eat!)

* This post was edited 08/31/06 09:39am by Testudo *

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

camp-a-lot

Mass.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted above....Needs No Explanation....

notarockyet

Baltimore, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I enjoy surffishing on Assateague Island. We have not yet caught a rockfish (striper) in the surf, hence the name notarockyet.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost forgot about the 'Princesse Caribou' (my wife)...

By the time we had settled on the OUTFITTER Caribou model, she too became a member of the RV.net. 'Princesse Caribou' was my idea. A take-off on the Phoebe Cates film, "Princess Caraboo".

brain

Muscatine, IA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/06 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote:

It was kind of natural for me to jump to latin after that.

You can have my screen name, then. You deserve it more.

I have enough trouble with English. The only latin I'd know would be on US currency or the motto from the "Red Green Show"

Jim

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/06 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a Firefighter Paramedic so my screen name is representative of the later. In medicine they abbreviate everything. 2ivswo= two IV's wide open. IV= the bag of water they hang and give to you through your veins. If I have to give you two, one in each arm at the same time, it is not a good day.

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 45  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What's behind the name? Screen name that is.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.