RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Gas grill hookup question?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Gas grill hookup question?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hot Stuff

Republic, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/06 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, thanks in advance. I have a Coleman grill that uses the little disposable bottles, and was wondering if there is a way to hook it up to the Quik-disco gas line for the RVQ grill on the side of my camper, or if it will even work? I have this grill thats almost new, and really didn't want to buy a RVQ grill,(something about grilling that close to my camper). Has anybody come up with any ideas or have you tried this? Thanks

Adam

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/06 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick lesson on propane presures and connections.
There are three basic propane pressures:

tank preesure, which is what you get fom any propane cylinder/tank which can be several hundred PSI depending on the temperature.

high pressure, which is apx 13 PSI, and is used on most "outdoor" propane equipment.

low pressure, which is less than 1 PSI or 11 column inches of water pressure. This is the pressure by law that MUST be used on any prepane connection that is in an enclosed habitable volume...ie inside your trailer.

Some RV's come with a connection on the outside of the trailer for attaching usually a stove or BBQ.
If the connection has screw threads it is designed to be operated on high pressure.
If the connection had a push/pull quick disconnect then it is low pressure. Another way of checking is if the outside line is simply tapped off the interior line (which has to be low pressure) or is run from either the first stage of a two stage regulator (high pressure), or a seperate regulator which would also be high pressure.

So now on to the appliances. Any stove, BBQ, lantern, etc that uses a one pound or 14 oz cylinder has an internal regulator. This regulator MAY be EITHER low or high pressure depending on the manufacturer.
IF it is low pressure, and Camp Chef, and IIRC the Weber BabyQ are, you can use an adapter in the appliance and a hose with a fitting to your trailer connection no matter what the pressure is in the line.
If the appliance has a high pressure internal regulator it can be used with a high pressure line, but not a low prresure line. A low pressure line just won't flow enough.

Most Coleman stoves have a high pressure internal regulator, so unless you have a FLeetwood trailer with the high pressure connection your options are, to continue to use the one pounders or add a line before the existing regualtor on the tanks to provide tank pressure for the stove. Products such as the XtendaT are available at even wally worlds. They amount to a T fitting that screws into the tank and the regulator and has a line off the T for what ever you want to supply propane to.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

fairfaxjim

Fairfax, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/06 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To simplify what Mike said even more - nope. The Coleman grills won't work on the RVQ connection, I've tried it. They will work on the outdoor only stoves like on the Coleman PUP's with two regulators and a line tee'd between the high and low pressure regulators.

Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

BobJoh

Whitestown, IN 46075

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/06 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i bring along the home BBQ LP tank and bought at Wallys the five foot long high pressure hose and hook standart BBQ tank direct to my camp stove or dual mantle lantern... Otherwise it is almost a small tank for lights and one for meals each day. Now I carry that BBQ tank in the Camp Trailer... which I thing should be carried on tongue outside. But I am also carrying 8-10 little bottles inside but maybe they are safer than the BBq one???/ How/where do you throw away those little ones when empty???? Now I can use stove on camp table way away from camper and also hang lantern up in a tree.

BobJoh

Biznaga

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/06 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that answers a question I was wondering about as far as the Coleman is concerned.

Now where can I get an extension cord for the low pressure quick connect so I can cook away from the popup side....or will an extension lose too much presure to be useful?

TV: 2004 Explorer Sport Trac

Home away from home: 2003 Jayco Eagle 10UD

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the hell out of the pig.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/06 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I can tell you not to make one up using air quick disconnect fittings. The main difference in cost between air and propane quickk disconnect fittings is the testing cost. No body cares if an air fitting leaks a bit now and then. The propane fitting has to work 100% of the time.
No to mention that air line material can be affected by propane. I've seen that happen.
Most Good RV dealers that sell a line of RV's with the fittings on their RV's will sell propane rated quick disconnect fittings and extension hoses you can add the quick disconnect fittings to.
And no, unless you're talking several hundred feet, you won't get a pressure or feed problem.

A common problem we've run into is dealer ignorance. When asked if they sold quick disconnect extension hoses most said no. When asked if they sold replacement quick disconnect fittings they siad yes, and when asked if they sold extension hoses they also said yes...LOL

Hot Stuff

Republic, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/06 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Thanks guys, That's kinda what I thought, but wasn't real sure. Guess this confirms my thoughts. I think I'll probly just put a Tee on the tank and go that route. I really appreciate the info. This is on an '05 Starcraft. This is my first camper. Just bought it this week. I grew up camping, (motorhome, tent, trailer, you name it) so the experience is not new, just having my own camper is! Thanks again guys!

fairfaxjim

Fairfax, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/06 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your Starcraft is set up for the RVQ, then you have a hose w/female quick connect w/valve inside a small hatch. I purchased another female/valve quick connect, and the matching male piece from my Starcraft dealer. They had them in stock. I don't remember for sure, I think it was $18 for the female/valve piece and $4 for the male. I used them to make my inside stove removable. If you want to make up an extension hose for the low pressure, you can get propane hose w/1/4" pipe fittings (the same as the quick disconnects) from any one who has a pretty good Mr. Heater parts stock. Then all you will need is a 1/4" coupling to attach the male plug, as the female/valve coupler has 1/4" female threads. If you plan on teeing to your propane cylinders, make sure the hose and fittings you use is rated for the pressure, as a lot is for medium or low pressure use only.

WaltinColo

Colorado Springs, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/06 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our outside RVQ connection is a low pressure connection...

--------------
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab CTD.
'05 Jayco 1207
'07 22ft SunTracker Regency pontoon

Me, the wife, and the little guy....
...oh, and 2 loving, ready to go camping anytime, Black Lab's ">

DAYS CAMPED SINCE PUP PURCHASE: 372
BEERS DRANK: 9846 ">

Hot Stuff

Republic, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/06 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I think I'll probly just tee off the tank. Theres a Jayco dealer about 20 min. from me, and they have the LP extention hoses and everything in stock. I was mainly wondering if there was a way to use my coleman with that quick disco. on the side of my camper. Doesn't sound like it, so I'll just go the tee on the tank route instead.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Gas grill hookup question?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.