|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Food allergies & skin problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/06 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please share your stories of food allergies, skin problems, and stinky dog syndrome here. Let's keep in mind we need to stay on topic and do our best not to turn this into a brand bashing or argument... that can be tricky with a food thread but we can do it! [emoticon]

I'll start:

We have a puppy mill rescue dog (Lhasa Apso) that is allergic to corn and corn by products. We found out by eliminating foods from his diet and found that he did best without corn. He used to scratch himself bald in spots, had eye gunk, and get ear infections all the time. He is a much happier and healthier dog now that we feed food without corn. Once in a while he gets the itchies but that is largely due to seasonal allergies. It's nice to see him NOT scratching & licking his paws all the time. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/30/06 09:41pm by an administrator/moderator *

Don Don

Pleasant Grove, AL {Suburb of Birmingham}

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/06 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds about right. Dogs need meat. They are carnivores. Corn and wheat in food is the biggest cause of allergies. It is not that good for them. I asked the vet a long time ago about corn as he said also it is very hard for them to also digest it, just as it is in a human. You need to stay away from them as much as possible and use food with meat content and no corn or wheat.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/06 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree there are a LOT of fillers added to dog food to make it cheaper to produce but they don't do a thing for the health of a dog. Depending on the dog those fillers can cause a myriad of problems.

I forgot to mention how bad a dog can smell that has an ear infection. ICK! Poor things.... even a Lhasa (that never smells "doggy") has a sour smell to them when they have an ear infection or a bad case of skin allergies. [emoticon]

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Don Don

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/06 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Filler is also a very bad problem. Some I have read about are Tomato pomace, and beet pulp. Alot of food have it but the top brands do not. If your food swells a lot when water is added it very well may have a lot of filler in it. Not all do, but most that swell up will have a lot of filler.

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/06 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After much elimination we found out Missy is not allergic to anything food wise. And I mean anything. But we still give her food and treats w/o corn wheat and soy. She has allergies to the outside grasses dirt or whatever. So we have to bath her once a week to wash off the outside. You can always tell when it is time for a bath. She scratches like she has "germs" crawling all over her. LOL. She is at the groomers today so no need for a bath.

Becky

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Sister Shotgun

Ridgecrest, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/06 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Pei-Person is allergic to both corn and wheat, so I did some research and found a puppy food that is wheat and corn free. Within two weeks of switching her food, her eyes no longer had gunk weeping from them, she stopped biting her feet and she no long has a bad smell.

cervri

Who knows

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/06 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading on here and have been very interested in the topic's of feeding pets regular meat than the store bought foods. Since we have a very small pup now, and we have friends who feed there dog "natural" meats and he is healthy, happy and smells nice, I was thinking about doing that with this guy. I am pretty sure he was propley feed cheap food at his birth home. (Uncle said he was in the back yard with several other dogs. He was hiding under a car tire) He Sleeps ALOT ( I figure his young age has to do something with this) and eats dry food (puppy food) with no problem. I am thinking about mixing some real food with dry so he does not get an upset stomach to wean him off the dry puppy chow. I will have to wait until we get to a larger area that has a pet smart to get vitamins for him (any suggestions?) My question is what to start out with "natural" foods on a five week old baby. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese, or chicken, rice and broth?
Dee

2001 Dodge 3500 4x4. 2005 31.5 HH DA Luxury Suite.

See our current location

Don Don

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/06 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Natural is Ok if you know what your doing. Are they getting all the required vitamins, amino acids and things they need? I doubt it. Stick with a good dry or caned dog food. Natural is a fad going around and I know someone is going to come on here and say they having been doing it for years. If they are not getting what they need it's like eating at McDonalds. You can live on it but it will catch up with you in the end. You can bet on that. Leave the nutrition to the experts.

TwilightOwl68

Central IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/06 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our lab/golden/whatever else mix dog has allergies. We are still trying to figure out what's doing it. He's 15 months old, and we've been to the vet with him for this 3 times: late May, mid-July, and September. We've just changed his food to lamb & rice Iams, and have cut way back on treats. He has lamb Iams doggie biscuits.

The vet says they've seen tons of pollen allergies this year. His skin seems to be clearing up better now, but the paw-licking and some scratching is still going on. [emoticon]

Angie

Dh, ds (14), dd (11) and Max the Lab/Golden mix wonderdog
2006 Keystone Hornet 29 FBS
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Don Don

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/06 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dad showed me something that works for itching. Mix some vinegar and water and apply to to where there are itching,It WILL stop it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Food allergies & skin problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.