Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: senior discount card

Posted By: gohogs34 on 10/17/06 04:14pm

I am asking this for my father whom is 68 and camps some. I ran across a senior man while camping this last week and he told me about a discount card that is for seniors for $10.00 and you get to stay at Corp of Engineers. This was in Heber Springs, Arkansas that you get 50% off each nite of camping. My question is, what do you know about these cards and where can he get one in the Tennessee area or can you get it on line? Thanks

Posted By: MommaJo on 10/17/06 04:18pm

It sounds like the Golden Access Passport that you get from the Federal park system. Some state parks honor it also. Just about any federal park that has a gate with a person manning it, has an application, and some even have the cards handy also.

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Posted By: cm on 10/17/06 04:21pm

It is called the Golden Age Passport. It can be used at federal government run facilities like National Parks, U.S. Forest Service campgrounds, and Corp of Engineer facilities, etc.

You can not get it on line. But you can get it at most federal facilities. Entrances at a National Park, a Forest Service office, etc. Cash or check, no credit cards. The person getting the card must be there because they will check for an I.D. like a drivers license to prove your age. You must be at least 62 years old.

Posted By: HarryWM on 10/17/06 04:54pm

Re the 2 previous posts. Golden Access is for handicapped and is free and not dependant on age. Golden Age costs $10 and is for 62 years old and older. Either way, a great deal.

Harry
With wife Carole 13 yrs fulltiming
Retired U.S. Army
2002 Carriage LS 37' 5er; 2006 Lance 1181truck camper
2008 F-450 King Ranch 4x4 fully loaded 5,000 lb air springs
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
SKP # 54751
Geocacher "DosTortugas"
Harry & Carole's BLOG

Posted By: sumerduck8 on 10/17/06 04:55pm

The best deal in town!!!!! It's nice to be old sometimes...

Posted By: Chuck&Gail on 10/17/06 05:00pm

Yes, but we'd rather pay the $10 than be handicapped!

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Posted By: bill h on 10/17/06 07:13pm

Other than the $10, is there a difference between the Golden Age and Golden Access?

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

Posted By: crazyoldcoot on 10/17/06 07:23pm

gohogs34 wrote:

Another question is, sometimes I drive his MH to the campground before he is able to get off work and set things up. If he makes reservations on reserveusa, can I get into the CG that way? Thanks

Each card has a number! They might possibly accept an explanation and number to let you set up and then confirm when he arrives. Won't hurt to ask!

Posted By: 1mtnman on 10/17/06 07:27pm

Wisconsin State Parks accept the Golden Age card for entry into their parks unlike Minnesota that charges $7.00 in 2006 going to $5.00 in 2007.

Posted By: WTTCS on 10/17/06 07:35pm

Yes, you can go set up his unit for him even if the reservation is in his name. Just check it and tell them what you are doing. If they refuse, you sure dont need your father in that park. I do it for others all the time, never been refused. If you are in Millington, do they have a fed park there in Memphis on the river? If so he could get it there or any Fed Park or facility that deals in tourism. A lot of state parks reconize the Golden Age and Access passes, I think La does as does some in Tex.

And there is no difference in the passes, except the ages of the holders, as some may have them and be disabled at an early age, such as someones son or dau, they both do the same.

Posted By: gohogs34 on 10/17/06 05:10pm

Another question is, sometimes I drive his MH to the campground before he is able to get off work and set things up. If he makes reservations on reserveusa, can I get into the CG that way? Thanks

Posted By: Retiredblade on 10/17/06 05:20pm

gohogs34 wrote:

I doubt it, they look at you and see if your a senior and half the time they check my driver's license.

Posted By: skipnchar on 10/17/06 05:21pm

gohogs34 wrote:

Most likely but he'd be required to pay for the campsite in his own name and would need to show up and occupy the site for as long as it's located there. You would most likely be required to register as a "visitor" to set up the RV.

Just a little more about the card. It not only gets half price for camping in federal areas, it also provides free admission to any federal recreation area including national monuments, national parks etc. It is also good for free entrance to any attraction within the recreation areas. One of the last great deals out there.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: Sulphur on 10/17/06 06:33pm

Golden Age Passport for age 62 and above. One time fee of $10. Priceless.

Posted By: Cruzette on 10/18/06 04:06pm

There are several different passes you can obtain. Get the real skinny from the source. Read through, there are several different passes you can get.

Passes

Posted By: Cruzette on 10/18/06 04:10pm

I thought it might be easier if I just posted all the info.

Questions about National Parks Passes?
Email: parkspass@nationalparks.org
or call toll free 1-888-GoParks (1-888-467-2757).
or visit:
Passes

Golden Eagle
For an additional $15, a Golden Eagle sticker may be purchased and affixed to a National Parks Pass to cover entrance fees at not only national parks, but also at sites managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. The Golden Eagle stickers are available at National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Land Management fee stations. The Golden Eagle admits the pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle* if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Eagle admits the pass owner, spouse, children and parents. The Golden Eagle is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce use fees such as charges for camping, parking, tours, and concessions. It is valid for entrance fees only. The Golden Eagle hologram is valid until the expiration of the National Parks Pass to which it is affixed.

Golden Age Passport
The Golden Age Passport is a lifetime admission and discount pass for citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are age 62 or older. The pass is valid at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites with admission fees. The Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle* if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner, spouse, and children.

The Golden Age Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where use fees are charged, only the pass owner will be given the 50% price reduction. The Passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

A Golden Age Passport must be obtained in person at a federal area (National Park, Wildlife Refuge, Forest, etc.) where an entrance fee is charged. The cost of the cost of the Golden Age Passport is $10.00. It is available only to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 years of age or older. You must show proof of age and residency, such as a state driver's license, birth certificate, or similar document.

Golden Access Passport
The Golden Access Passport is a free, lifetime admission pass issued to U.S. citizens or persons who permanently reside (are domiciled) in the United States, regardless of age, and who have a medical determination and documentation of blindness or permanent disability. The pass is valid at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites with admission fees.

The Golden Access Passport admits the pass owner and accompanying passengers in a private vehicle*. At parks that charge individual fees, the pass admits the pass owner, spouse, parents, and children. At parks that charge individual fees, the pass admits the pass owner, spouse, parents, and children. The pass also entitles other persons accompanying the owner, such as a care assistant.

The Golden Access Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where use fees are charged, only the pass owner will be given the 50% price reduction. The Passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Golden Access Passports may be obtained only in person and upon proof of eligibility.

Both the Golden Age Passport and Golden Access Passport can only be obtained in person at a federal area (National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites).

If your National Parks Pass, Golden Eagle, Golden Age, or Golden Access passport is lost or stolen there is no mechanism for replacement. A new pass must be obtained.

It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you ">

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Posted By: HarryWM on 10/18/06 12:00pm

bill h - No, no difference between Golden Age and Golden Access other than price and what it takes to qualify. The 3d type of card (Golden Eagle???), an annual card you pay for (still a great deal if you use Fed parks etc with any frequency) gets you into park for free but no discount on camp sites. Something not mentioned so far, if there are ranger led tours (like in Mamouth Caves or Carlsbad), the Access and Age cards get you a 50% discount, the tours are not free. Also, concessionaire services such as boat rentals or concessionaire run campgrounds are not discounted.

Posted By: Sulphur on 10/18/06 12:54pm

If you are at least 62, buying anything other than the Golden Age Passpost would be folly. I mean $10 for life. This is perhaps the world's greatest no-brainer.

Posted By: Bexco Bob on 10/18/06 01:14pm

1mtnman wrote:

Wisconsin State Parks accept the Golden Age card for entry into their parks unlike Minnesota that charges $7.00 in 2006 going to $5.00 in 2007.

So you going to get a discount?...I know a typo

[b]B & G 2002 Ford F-350 4x4 PSD LWB, Reese 16k 04 Prowler Regal 285RLS 5 Kids (Married and Gone..Most of Time) 11 Grandkids 2 Great Grandkids

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Posted By: gohogs34 on 10/17/06 07:49pm

I called out local state park and she told me he could get on at the federal building. Well that works, he is a United States Marshal.

Print  |  Close