RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: RV battery solenoid installation instructions and schematic.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RV battery solenoid installation instructions and schematic.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
BCSierra

Victoria BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/06 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello.

This post is in response to the question that gets asked on a regular basis which is how do I install a second battery and connect it so I don't discharge my starting battery.

For me, the automatic charge and disconnect action of the solenoid is important as I don't want to have to remember to move a switch of some sort for charging or starting. Guaranteed I'd forget at the worst time.

Basic schematic of my configuration.
[image]

My RV battery is mounted under the hood but could just as easily be in the camper. The heavy wires are the ones shown in the schematic. The light ones are the feed to the camper fuseblock.

[image]

My solenoid is mounted to the engine block and therefore if it was a three terminal type, wouldn't require a separate grounding wire as shown in the schematic.
The leftmost large connection leads to the RV battery positive terminal. The left small connector goes to the fusebox and is connected to a feed that is on only when the key is on. The right small connector has a wire going to the engine block. The right large connector goes to the alternator positive wire. Note that I've connected this wire to an existing junction in the alternator supply wire instead of connecting directly to the alternator as shown in the schematic. This was just more convenient for me.
[image]

The wires from my RV battery run under the vehicle and up to this plug in the side of the box. Note that only two of the four connectors are used. This wiring is not shown in the schematic.
[image]

This connector goes from the camper to the plug in the box. This wiring is not shown in the schematic.
[image]

2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE Short Box 4 door Extra Cab
6.0 Vortec, 4L80E Auto Trans, 3.73 rear. 4X4. Timbrens, Rancho 9000's. Hidden Hitch front and Happijac rear tie downs. 1985 Frontier Camper.
Member/Editor of Victoria Motorcycle Club and ASHRAE

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/06 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added to the TC Help Sticky Thread.

Thanks,
Brad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RV battery solenoid installation instructions and schematic.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.