RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heading up north this weekend (11/10/06) (w/photos)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heading up north this weekend (11/10/06) (w/photos)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/06 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going up to Grayling, Oscoda and Tawas MI for the weekend. We hope to check out some new boondocking spots and drive by several rustic state campgrounds and see what they have to offer.

* This post was last edited 11/15/06 05:51pm by Spott *   View edit history

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

oldharleydude

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/06 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Spott... have a good weekend in da North Country. Watch out for the pilgrimage of hunters and watch out even more for their prey!!!! Almost nailed one with the bike last night. They're everywhere!!!!
JOHN

RV'ing since '79
2006 2500HD 6L, 4WD, SRW, Firestone Airbags, HapiJacks
2006 Palomino Maverick 1000SL
1998 Sportster 1200C
2004 Ultra Classic ">
8x12 enclosed CargoMate

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/06 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if id have known id come up for a cold one! if you get near by old orchard park check it out, its pretty nice. drive through and look around. my site will be 93 next season. swing by if your ever around. have fun and be safe!

2002 f250 sd shortbed supercab 4x4 lariat v10 3.73
2009 jayco jayflight g2 32rls
2005 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited sahara
jeep cj, d60's, coilovers, 42's, lots-o-tube

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/06 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldharleydude, Yea I was worried about hittin one but we got lucky.

joejeep, this was pretty much a last minute trip, we would have loved to share it, it was a great time. For future reference does your truck have 4X4?

DSeckt

Cedar Point , Northern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/06 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Joe... pack up and head south... We'll be on the beach in Galveston Tx all next week!!! Gonna have shrimp instead of Turkey...

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/06 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friday night we stayed at Van Etten Lake State Park (Rustic only) Very cold even though the temperature was 36 degrees, Lots of wind coming off the lake and lake Huron is only a few miles away.

[image]

Saturday we went into Tawas to look at a couple of things and saw a small truck with a small TC and a very large boat on the back, it didn’t even occur to me to take a picture but I wish I had.

We than went back to Oscoda and stopped at the Oscoda Beach Park so Spot could have a romp in the water.

[image]

[image]

We headed west on East River Rd to Ambrose lake SP (ok that is where we were trying to go). On the way we stopped at a Rustic SP on Pine Crest Trail, very nice camp the sites are a couple of hundred yards apart from each other and everything is over looking the Au Sable River.

[image]

To register for these sites it said we would have to go to the lumberjack memorial, we didn’t know where that was and weren’t going to stay here tonight anyway so off we went. At some point several miles away we passed the entrance to the Lumberjack Memorial so we went in and said Hi.

[image]

We than stopped in at Old Orchard Park, it is also on the Au Sable River, we looked for JoeJeeps camp site but got confused with the color coding of the site numbers (I confuse easily) we didn’t see a map for the sites anywhere.

We than checked out the Rollway SP, it was rustic but sites were within spitting distance of each other.
On the road again, as Willie Nelson would say, Our GPS said to take Rose City Rd

[image]

To Stoney Ridge Rd

[image]

Than onto Houghton Creek Trail, and this is the trail, the trees appear to only get trimmed by passing vehicles, it got very low and narrow. We loved it.

[image]

When the GPS told us to turn left to enter the camp there was nothing but trees, no road, no trail, no path, I’m not even sure we could have walked through there. We kept driving and came out onto a State paved Road, we agreed to turn around and go back into the woods for the night. As we were going back in a jeep and a truck was coming out, since I was closest to any kind of pull off, I backed up a hundred yards or so. We stopped and talked for a bit and they made a recommendation for a couple of sites up ahead that have been cleared big enough for our rig. This next photo is our drive way and we tucked in to the left so to be out of sight.

[image]

[image]

We went for a nice long hike down some two tracks to see what there was to see, lots and lots of trees.

[image]

[image]

It gets dark here between 5 and 5:30 so we headed back for dinner, I typed on the computer while Kim read and Spot took a nap. We watched the movie “Four rooms” hardly worth it, and went to bed early.

At 1:39am I realized I was awake and that the furnace had just kicked on, so it must be time to determine it cycle times.

It’s 33 degrees outside and the thermostat set on 70, basement stays 43.
I watched for 3 cycles and they were all 8 minutes on and 18 minutes off.

This morning at 11am it’s up to a whopping 34 degrees.

We spent Sunday walking the trails and had a fire that evening, Spot got a bit cold so he got wrapped in a blanket before the fire even took off.

[image]

By the time the fire got going he was inside snoozing.

[image]

Monday morning and it’s time to head home, but I’m not ready to just yet so we cruse down more of these great forest roads and would you believe at the end of a dead end we find Ambrose Lake Campground. (GPS was off just a few miles)

[image]

Here’s another great stretch of road

[image]

At one point we find our selves at the top of this hill and the road was washed out (without the camper I would have tried it)

[image]

[image]

We backed out and took another small road until it came to this clear-cut site.

[image]

On our way out we met a grader head on but he pulled off and let us by (no photo, I know thank goodness)
Than it was off to the highway and head home, unfortunately we were not unscathed. The camper and the truck now have official battle scars (Hopefully most will buff out) and you’ll see I the following photo the TV antenna took one for the team. I always thought that style antenna was bad for forests.

[image]

Budster

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/06 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics and writeup! Thanks Spott, looks like you had a great time! This really shows the abilities of a TC, imagine having a 40' DP and trying that.......... [emoticon]

ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/06 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics spot. Thought there would be alittle more snow on the ground by now in Mich. Wife & I were born there but moved to Oregon in 78.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

Pepperoni

Ypsilanti, Michigan 48198

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/06 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott wrote:

We are going up to Grayling, Oscoda and Tawas MI for the weekend. We hope to check out some new boondocking spots and drive by several rustic state campgrounds and see what they have to offer.

Everywhere will be packed with deer hunters. One of my favorite spots is Harrisville Harbor. There sould be room, since the fishing has peaked. There should be room by Foote Dam for the same reason. There are plenty of places to park, but restaurant seats may have a wait. US23 has seen a building boom in the last decade. Be careful driving. Besides drinking hunters, the deer are stirred up (notice the greasy spots where the treeline is near the road) and seem to cross the road on the curves. Don't get in a hurry. You won't gain 5 minutes on anyone trying to pass on 23. Be safe; run with your light on, allow plenty of following distance and keep a cool head. Someone always forgets and messes things up for the folks around them

xnorp

Spokane Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/06 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and the narration was great thanks for sharing.
xnorp

2000 F-250 SD PS 04 Snowriver 9'6" Rancho 9000X Super Springs Vision 19.5 w/Toyo M608Z

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heading up north this weekend (11/10/06) (w/photos)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.