|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> 10 tips to posting in the RV.Net/Forums

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/06 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 tips to posting in the RV.Net/Forums

1. Since posting the same message in more than one forum is not allowed, you can check for the single most correct forum before posting at the link Open Roads Forum which you will find near the top left of all pages of this website. There are 33 separate forums covering all types of rv's as well as campgrounds, tow vehicles and technical topics to name just a few. Each one has a description of what it covers.
The description for Forum Technical Support there for example is "Post forum related questions, test posts and requests for assistance here - signatures, profile, search & pictures."

2. Before posting a new topic, check the first few pages of the chosen forum to see if the same subject is already under discussion. You might also make use of the Advanced Search feature by entering a keyword and let it check all forums. That is a link to it and if you need help using it, Tom (pulsar) the other moderator of this forum has written an excellent tutorial and there is a link to it at the top of the search window.

3. Do not, repeat NOT type your entire message in all capital letters. Regardless of the reason you wish to do so, it is considered shouting in all forums! A common reason some do this is because they have trouble reading the screen.
This is easily remedied by clicking on one of the [image][image][image] at the bottom right of all pages in this website to increase the font size.

4. Do not, repeat NOT type your entire message in bold text. Like using all capital letters, it is also considered shouting.

5. If your message contains links, know how to make them clickable. See Giving a link to a website, photo album, topic or reply within this forum

6. If your message contains pictures, understand the size limitations of some monitors that the user must scroll sideways to see a picture that is over 640 pixels in width. Not only that, an oversize picture forces the width of every post on that page. For an explanation, please see Screen resolution for pictures in text.

7. Watch your language. There is an automatic program that will convert "bad" words to asterisks. Some moderators will let those pass while others will delete all reference to what you are trying to say.

8. Know the Forum Rules and that is a link to it for a refresher course. Two of the most common deleted posts are those where a member is trying to buy or sell something or advertising a service, both of which are strictly prohibited.

9. You have up to five minutes to edit your post after which there will be a line at the bottom of your post such as this:* This post was last edited mm/dd/yyyy 11:52pm by membername *

10. Whenever a moderator edits a post, there will be the line at the bottom indicating it such as this:* This post was edited mm/dd/yyyy 09:15am by an administrator/moderator *
If you are in doubt as to the reason it was edited, click on Notify Moderator on the right in the links bar above each post. That sends an e-mail to the moderator(s) of that forum who other than Admin, is/are the only person(s) able to edit a post in that forum. That sends a link to the post in question and if you would like an explanation, please be polite.....

I hope these tips help and if I have omitted any, feel free to add your own.

....RVSnowbird

mt350

Northern Ireland

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/06 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3. Do not, repeat NOT type your entire message in all capital letters. Regardless of the reason you wish to do so, it is considered shouting in all forums! A common reason some do this is because they have trouble reading the screen.
This is easily remedied by clicking on one of the at the bottom right of all pages in this website to increase the font size.
Thanks for the advice on the tripple A I didnt know what these was for, thank you

Dshultz50

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/06 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool[emoticon]

I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

LMickey

NorthEast Texas, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/06 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should make this a sticky. And add: "Please read before posting." to the Subject line. I would also add "Forum Technical Support is not for technical assistance on your RV, toad, or Tow Vehicle." to the description of Forum Technical Support.

I thought this might do the job and prevent having to move so many threads from Forum Technical Support but it looks like some people would do it anyway. I noticed of the two threads that were moved after this thread was started, one poster had already had one thread moved and the other poster was on his fifth.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/06 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you LMickey but making it a sticky is not up to me but the change of subject line is well worth considering.

You have been a member longer than most, back when this website was fairly new so you have seen it grow over the years. Put yourself in the position of a newcomer and this is the logical place to post a new topic. Yes, we will move it but we also send a private message explaining why. This gives us contact with many of the new members to "get them off on the right foot" so to speak.

It all works out in the end.....

....RVSnowbird

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> 10 tips to posting in the RV.Net/Forums
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS