|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 7-Gallon Water Jug With Pump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/06 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

[image]

I’m sure someone else has done this before me, but I thought I would posts some photos anyway. We sometimes camp at places that don’t have water, so we carry along some extra water jugs. Some other places we camp have water, but no way to hook up a hose to refill the supply tank on our truck camper.

I got tired of standing with a 7-gallon water jug on my head trying to refill or supply tank, so I added a $17 12 volt bilge pump to the water jug cap. Both have a 3/4” pipe thread fittings and just screw together. I can now empty the 7-gallon water jug into the supply tank in under 2 minutes.

It is also useful for putting RV antifreeze into the supply tank for the annual winterization. I just pour all the pink stuff into the 7-gallon jug and pump it in.

The jug and pump are available at Walmart.

Brad

* This post was edited 11/19/06 11:04am by BradW *

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/06 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry almost the same thing but use a Harbor Freight Marine pump. I like your set up.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

MillsDaddy

Avon Park, FL,USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/06 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just sit the jug next to the RV pump and use the winterization siphon hose on the pump. If yours is so equipped.

Currently RVless

RVN'S 4 US

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/06 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do something similar with diesel fuel. I bought a $9 "D" battery powered siphon pump sold at Lowe's etc to use with kerosene heaters. It's not quite as neat looking as your set-up. You just stick it in the top of each can and flip the on switch. I can now pump the extra diesel from the extra cans I carry without having to take the cans out of the TV bed toolbox. Takes a little over two minutes per 5 gallon can.

Plan for tomorrow. Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/06 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got in on a close out of the kerosene pumps at Wally World about three years ago, they were on sale for $2 per pump, bought all of them on the shelve, (4) and they use 'D' cell batteries. Work very well, I was the envy of the hunting camp that year, everyone wanted to use them.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/06 03:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta make me one of those!

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/06 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good part is that the jug, pump and flexible hose are all available at Walmart in the sporting goods / boating section. Also, since the jug cap has a female 3/4" npt fitting and the bilge pump has a male 3/4" npt fitting, they just thread right together without any modification.

Brad

Ibeme

Surrey, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/06 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brilliant! I've been thinking of making something similar for some time now. This makes it a no brainer. Thanks for sharing. One thing though....and I'm not sure its a concern but is the hose and pump food safe? The reason I ask is that the water out of an ordinary garden hose tastes funny which is the reason we have those food safe hoses to fill your TC. Your setup has a far shorter run than my 50 foot fill hose so probably this is not a concern maybe? Just asking. I myself just love to use off the shelf parts for unintended uses![emoticon]

merlin

P.S. I think you should put this in the project section.

Merlin, Dianne & Chimo
2001 F150 SCSB 4x4 etc.
Palomino 1250SB
Islander, Concours

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/06 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ibeme wrote:

is the hose and pump food safe?

Don’t know, but I abruptly quit posting here, you might assume that it wasn’t. [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Brad - (Past President of the International Lawn Dart Association) [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

jdtrotter

Big Pine

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/06 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish they still made the Aqua Tainers the old way. We have two old 7-gallon ones we use and the air vent on top has a screw top---no leaking. We bought some new smaller ones, and they all have the push in plug for the air vent and they leak too easisly. We returned them.

Can't find one with the screw top over the air vent.

Nice pump idea.

Diane

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 7-Gallon Water Jug With Pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS