|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek AR Wheels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/06 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi John,

I sent you an email but it's probably too late for me.

Do you have any wheel care tips so that others can avoid whatever caused the problem to my wheels?

1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/06 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted previously, the American Racing warranty is 1 year to the first purchaser on the type of wheels supplied on my RT. There is no chance of a claim for me.

H&P replied to my enquiry within a day and even sent me a copy of the warranty. American Racing also responded and the answer was the same.

More recently I’ve been corresponding with John Traill from American Racing. He generously offered to get me the absolute lowest selling price he could on a new set of wheels. That’s pretty nice of him.

Edit: John came through with his offer on a good deal.

* This post was edited 12/20/06 07:29pm by markopolo *

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/06 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a set of used cast spoked aluminum wheels off a 200 on my 190... unknown Chinese brand. They have some 'similar but different' finish problems... fine pits & lines scattered totally at random. But I only paid $172 for them, shipping included... [emoticon]

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I'm wondering if y'all's AR wheels _maybe_ have a flexure issue in that joint. I've no idea of what kind finish AR's have. AIUI, all anodizing is pretty brittle, and clear coats are real dependant on proper formulation and surface prep. If the suface is flexing just a little under a brittle or poorly-adhered finish, that might cause microcracking that would let water and crud get to the base metal. But I'm mostly thinking out loud here.

If I had them, I think I'd be a bit po'ed at AR & RT for making / using a wheel that's apparently not up to GM's 3-yr. 36K warranty standards. AFAIK, GM warrants their wheels for the full period, but they don't make a 'fancy' 3500 wheel, beyond chromed steel.

Time to go out & wash the Tiger...

Jim, "Sado-masochism means never having to say you're sorry."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/06 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good point Jim. I'll run a poll on my site here:

Edit:
I closed the poll. Satisfied owners are unlikely to even find the poll whereas people with complaints will find it and vote so it doesn't create a fair result.

* This post was edited 12/20/06 07:32pm by markopolo *

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/06 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In fairness, I have to say that I'm not absolutely sure that GM warrants 'appearance items' for the full 3/36... It's never come up for me. But I think my comment above has to be qualified with the addition of '...._if_ GM offers full-period warranty coverage on its alloy wheels."

I've no idea of how sensitive AR wheels are to various cleaning or polishing products. I know that it took great care in product selection to avoid messing up the finish on older Porsche Fuchs alloys, and a slip-up could easily result in a costly trip to a professional wheel restorer. AIUI, _not_ covered under warranty.

There's also the question of environmental exposure... it'll be interesting to see how many folks with problems live / drive in the 'snow belt', vs. how many are in sunny, dry areas.

There's the issue of upkeep... I don't know how true is is now, but brake dust off disc brake pads used be a major headache for wheel finishes if allowed to accumulate. If front wheels show more blemishs than rears on models before 4-wheel discs were introduced, that may be the culprit (tho' tire rotation may keep that from showing).

Dog urine can cause problems, too... [emoticon] Mom had an '89 Corolla that Toyota repainted the steel wheels on less than a year from new, under warranty, because of a neighbor's mutt. The paint was really thin, and may have been a new low-VOCO formula.

Just trying to be even-handed here.... [emoticon]

Jim, "Ever seen an ostrich take a dump? It's a darn good thing they can't fly!"

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/06 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

Just trying to be even-handed here.... [emoticon]

Yes. It is important to be fair.

Edit: John came through on his offer to get me the best deal he could.

* This post was edited 12/20/06 07:38pm by markopolo *

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/06 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger & JoeRT04 & everyone who is happy with their American Racing Wheels, one of the poll choices is:

My American Racing Wheels meet or exceed my expectations

Edit: Poll closed

* This post was edited 12/20/06 07:39pm by markopolo *

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/06 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something interesting just came up. Both Peter from H&P and John from American Racing want me to verify that I have American Racing Wheels.

Maybe the other company has a better warranty.

(edited - to clear up a misunderstanding)

* This post was edited 12/15/06 03:09pm by markopolo *

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/06 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the center caps say AR then they are American Racing.

markopolo

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/06 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'd think so Roger but it's not the case.

Peter does know that I have American Racing wheels. When Peter said; "To be truly fair, you should also verify that the wheels are, in fact AR wheels." He was referring to my poll, not my wheels. He's right.

He went on to note that:

On the SE models (Silver/Grey Special Edition) and the 30th Anniversary Edition models we were also using polished aluminum Prime Wheels Model 108 rims but with the American Racing center caps. The only AR rims we used are the brushed aluminum AR-23 model .
So, you should specify that the wheels involved in your question are the brushed, clear coated rims and not the polished rims.

So, if your wheels look like this:

[image]

The poll is not for you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek AR Wheels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.