|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Longest lived pet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
lesmore49

canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years I've had lots of pets. Dogs, cats, snakes (Garter, which I caught when very young and my parents insisted I let go), Turtles (some wild-when I was young, see snakes),some domestic born turtles, birds, etc.

I like animals and taking care of them. I believe they enhance our lives.

However, except for our current pet, a Western Ornate Box turtle (who I suspect will out live me) most of our pets have short life spans, compared to humans.

One of my dogs, made it to 15 1/2 years, for example. As other pet owners know it's not easy to lose a pet.

But my question here, is what is the longest (# of years) you have ever had a particular pet?

lesmore49

Kim's Caboose

Brazos Valley Texas USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a minpin, Rusty, who will be 18 in April. He's blind and deaf and sleeps most the time. He's pictured in my signature below.

Kim with DOTL Minpins, Spc. Rusty and Spc. Cappi
2005 Ford F250 Lariat, PSD, FX4, Crew Cab, Reese 16K slider
2004 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T, twin Honda EU2000i
Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/06 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting question...here's a lifespan chart. I've always heard parrots live long time. Several years ago DW had a Blue Front Amazon but at 6yrs age it died of cancer. American Box Turtle lifespan is 123 yrs.

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

sun seekers

arizona and alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/06 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a siamese cat that lived to be 19 we think. We adopted her from the animal shelter and she had already had a litter of kittens but we started her birth date at the time we got her. Our Lhaso Apso lived to be 17 and our Boston Terrier will be 15 next May. She's pretty much blind and can't hear a thing but she doesn't seem to mind and goes all over the house and is still fiesty. My dear husband said that if there is such a thing as reincarnation he wants to come back as my dog, ha. God Bless our little animals.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lost a cat last year at 19 1/2 years. This year, we lost our 17 year old.

Had a horse who lived to 33, and a Bernese mountain dog who lived to 16, which is truly ancient for that breed.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting thread. We have been very lucky with the longevity of our animals.

I learned to ride on a horse that my father rode in his teens and then I rode him in my early teens. Brownie lived to be almost 40!

A Siamese cat that we had when I was growing up lived for many years after I moved out of my parents home... dad kept him and he was almost 23 when his kidneys failed.

I had a mixed breed dog - Jangles (as in Mr Bo Jangles) that I rescued off the street, we spent almost 18 years together. According to my vet he was somewhere between one and two when I found him. He was a dachshund/terrier mix and he was one of the smartest dogs I ever had the pleasure to know. I still miss that dog...... and he's been gone 8 years now.

More recently another mixed breed dog, Gabby lived to be somewhere between 16 and 17... in turn, her son Samson went to the Rainbow Bridge in September and he would have had his 16th birthday on December 20th. That mix of shepherd, collie, bird dog kind of dog must be a sturdy mix. Two very special dogs.

We have a cat that will be 15 soon. She has been diagnosed with kidney disease since she was less then a year old and wasn't supposed to have much hope for a long life. Sandy sure didn't listen to that diagnosis!

[emoticon]

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/06 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy of mine has a cockatiel that just turned 24 last week. Another buddy of mine had to put down his 15 1/2 year old Dalmation recently. My wife is only 69 and I think I'll keep her.

charles weidman

W7SFO

Spanaway WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/06 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an Amazon Parrot that is about 50. I am the third owner. First owner give him to my father, and my father left him to me when he passed in 2000. We lost our oldest cat in November, he was almost 19.

Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

Veronica

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the longest would be Homer, one of our cats. She is almost 15 now. Our dog Tater was probably the oldest dog at 14 when we had to send her to the Rainbow Bridge.

'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle

HJB

Cow Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/06 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a story of a 36 year old cat that's still going strong.

My buddy Harry here is only 8 (we think) and I hope he out lives me. Funny I was never a cat person until he came along, now I can't imagine this house without him.

[image]

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 232 EXP
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
2 sons,
1 in the US NAVY
1 here at home
2 cats

http://www.lyricsforlife.org/

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Longest lived pet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.