|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Norcold Refridgerator Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GaDawgFan

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/07 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I have posted earlier, I am new to this so bear with me. I was having proplems keeping my refridgerator running on propane, it would light but go out within a few minutes. I took it to the local dealership where they told me I needed to replace the "panel" and then very graciously relieved me of aproximately $400.00. So now I get it home this weekend and now I cannot get the fridge to light on propane at all. The thing works fine on Automatic mode with the generator running but will not light at all otherwise. Obviously I am taking it back to the dealership, but I was interested if anyone had any suggestions of what to look for and how to handle the folks at the dealership. After two experiences with them it is obvious that there is no quality in the work they offer. Fortunaltely someone on this forum has recommended an independent RV service provider that I will try next.

2000 Itasca Horizon
300 Cat Diesel Pusher
2007 GMC Acadia

newlee

Ca USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check to make sure you are getting gas to the refer.

Dan & Pat Newhall
Central California
2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3353
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
1995 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 Toad
1995 Jeep Wrangler Toad (KISA RCK}

fredbon

Pacific Northwest or SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant has a troubleshooting section on the link I sent earlier.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Johnny Hurryup

Tafton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the exact same thing happen to my Norcold refrigerator in my old travel trailer...I was told that it was either the ign/sens wire ( the thing that provides the spark,it also senses the flame) or the problem was in the circuit board (what was supposedly replaced by your mechanic) Because if the unit doesn't "Sense" a flame ,it shuts the gas off.

ReadytoRide

Stafford, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found in my experience that anytime I turn the LP supply off, I have to purge out the air in the line before the reefer will light off. I usually do this by lighting the burners on the stove. Before I figured this out, I would spend sometimes 30 minutes to an hour trying to get the reefer to light off. I needed it to run on LP since I was letting it cool down before use.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Cummins ISL 400/Allison 6-spd
FMCA F354960, Good Sam, WIT
2005 Saturn VUE (FWD V6) Toad
with Blue Ox Aventa II and ToadStopQi with ProPort Control braking system

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should also check the burner for rust flakes. As the fridge ages while being used, rust flakes off the chimney. These rust flakes fall down and get into the burner tube. Removing and cleaning out the burner tube can cure your problem keeping the darn thing lite.

If cleaning the burner tube doesn't work, there may be other problems.

Every spring I clean the burner tube. Sometimes the burner tube must be cleaned several times during the camping season.

Good luck.

Joeycockerspaniel

Cumming, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/07 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dawg Fan,

First, pull the outside cover off and check the 12V fuses on the new circuit board. If they installed the board without turning off the power, the fuses could have been blown.

Second, have someone try to start the fridge on gas from control panel on the inside. While they do that, you look to see what happens on the outside. You should hear (or even see) a spark igniter try to start the flame. You should also hear a click as the the gas shutoff opens up to allow gas through to the igniter. (I have even tried lighting the gas with a match before to see if gas is coming through.) If the gas flame ignites but then exinguishes it could be a bad thermocouple (that device the flame burns on to).

Third, look for loose connections, stray wires in the area under the exterior panel. Tech's are bad about leaving things incomplete.

As far as dealing with the dealer, good luck. You will be better off learning how to fix things yourself than being dependant upon RV dealer technicians. JMHO.

Good luck,

Tech Fan

Hank & Winde
Cumming, GA.
2006 Forest River Charleston
CAT C7

MartyAndPeg

North Florida for the Winter

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing I would ask them is why isn't a systems test included in that $400. I would think that they would have shown you that it was now working before they sent you on your way.

Marty & Peg & 2 cats
2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH/350HP Cat/MH3000
2009 Ford F150 4x4/Brake Buddy
2011 Harley Softail Heritage/Rampage Motorcycle Lift
Full-Timing-10 years and counting!

Looking for a purpose in life, try Habitat for Humanity RV-Care-A-Vanners!

BillyP

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the frig starts burning on LP but goes out in 20 seconds or so - the problem is most likely the ignitor/sensor probe is too far from the burner, or not positioned in the flame. Look at the probe, it should be about an 1/8" gap and in the flame. A piece of rust on the burner, under the sensor, could keep the flame from hitting the probe.

05 Jayco Seneca 35GS/22k Kodiak/6.6 Duramax
04 Jeep Rubicon Automatic
SMI Silent Partner/BlueOx Aladdin
Billy & Sharon's RV Adventures

Flashnet

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/07 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've also got a Norcold with problems. On mine I can start it and it will run on propane while I hold the primer switch in. The light will stay lite up until I release the primer. This happens every time.

Anyone got a clue whats wrong with it? I checked the vent and removed the pilot assembly and cleaned it and reinstalled it with same results.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Norcold Refridgerator Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS