RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
t/c hobo

RHODE ISLAND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/07 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used mine all the time on the beach could not live with out it

fredderf

lanc pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

t/c hobo wrote:

I used mine all the time on the beach could not live with out it

same here [emoticon]

ford '09 350, 4x4, 5.3, sb, ex cab
'05 lance 845
'go fish....'

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a 4X4 but wish I did. I wouldn't skip on it. A 2WD pickup with a TC is about equal to a 4WD pickup or SUV with a TT. A 4WD pickup with a TC will go places a TT can't go.

I haven't ever been stuck with the camper on. Having 7 of 11 thousand pounds on the rear axle helps, but a 4WD would do better. I probably would be a little more adventerous if I had a 4WD.

hilandfrog

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I choose to go where the good snow is....
I have chains but hate, I mean hate putting them on/ taking them off.
Driving thru passes to ski areas on blizaks and in 4x4 make my trips much more gooder for the bestest times.

VR
Repo

05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

everesttraveler wrote:

...does having a 4x4 help in getting to those out of the way camping spots...

ABSOLUTLY!!

ScottCO wrote:

In Colorado, with a pickup truck it's a necessity.

I agree with this statement.
ScottCO wrote:

... having 4x4 does have a tendancy to get you stuck further back than you should have been in the first place[emoticon]

I disagree with this statement. One has to know ones abilities.

I use 4WD in almost all of my camping and hunting jaunts. But, I have to qualify this: I live in a place where 4WD is a neccesity (with or without a camper) especially in winter. I camp in a select few places that require 4WD to get to. I boondock exclusivly. You have to judge your camping needs. One thing that a TC does is limit where you want to go. I used to camp in a WilderNest Topper. It was a "normal" topper in it's down position, but popped up into a full fledged camper when at destination. I could get into many more places with it than my present pop- up. A pop- up allows for much more back woods destinations, but hard sides will obviously limit this.

For me, 4WD is a requirement and a hard side would not work for me.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my in the desert and in the snow. Another nice feature is I can put my truck in 2W LO via some plumbing changes in the vac lines. Works really well for moving a heavy trailer with no front wheel chatter from 4W LO. Lots more moving parts and things to go wrong but I would get another truck with it.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/07 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had 2wd, made it a requirement on the next truck to have 4x4, have it now, glad I have it, the extra traction is wonderful when needed and I've finally managed to get back to some lakes I knew about as a kid that the roads have deteroriated to. Tried two times with 2wd to get there and failed each time, 4x4, no problems.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 4WD on our new (2006) truck is its most under-utilized feature. (Okay, ...I _did_ use 4WD High _today_ because it was drizzling and I was experiencing a lot of rear wheel skidding). But generally, we are fair weather campers and think twice about getting into places where we might need more than 2WD in the first place.

On our old Ranger, we only had 2WD. We live close enough to the shore to drive on sand now and then but I could _push_ the Ranger so we never seriously considered buying it with 4WD. Incidentally, the 2WD Ranger performed great in every condition -- even deep snow. The downfall of every 2WD vehicle, though, is likely going to be _sand_.

With the F-250 and my propensity to want to get offroad, we decided to bite the bullet and pay for the 4WD. We use it about as much as I expected and I don't have any regrets about seldom needing it. I don't find slogging along at one mile per hour very exciting so if I was faced with a boggy road (that might normally be fine for 2WD), I would probably skip it. Not worth wasting the time nor biting off more than one can chew.

It pays to get 4WD guides to the regions that you are interested in. Besides being interesting reading and assessing the technical difficulty of the route, they provide navigational minutiae to get you to offroad opportunities that you wouldn't stumble across on your own in a million years.

Keep in mind that you don't want to get stuck and then try to go to 4WD. These systems are generally designed so that you have to be moving for them to engage. Most serious four-wheelers (not necessarily me) make it a rule to engage their 4WD as soon as they leave the pavement. If conditions are the least bit suspect, I wouldn't hesitate to engage 4WD or to reassess my route. Getting 'out' when you can't get out on your 'own' is termed a 'recovery'. (Think tracked; armored vehicles that measure their progress in 'gallons to the mile'.) The cost of a single 'recovery' (whether you have 2WD or 4WD) is quite likely enough to pay for the cost of your 4WD from the get-go.

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

robseg

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2WD and was always "that guy" getting stuck out of my group. I will never buy another truck with out it.
Rob

2005 F-350 SRW 6.0L 4X4 Line-X Torq Lifts
2006 Lance 835
2006 Sand Car 1989 Honda Pilot
2005 Honda EU3000is

DoneItAll

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/07 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 4WD a lot around the farm when it's wet/muddy/slippery. I have also used it to negotiate steep, wet gravel leading into campgrounds. I'm not certain I'd have been able to check-in without it.

John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.