RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can understand why it doesn't feel much different. Afterall, your SRW is handling everything fine, so there isn't much room for improvement.

If we want to get picky, both of these trucks are less than optimal because they are both Crew Cabs. Also, from what I've read the GVWR difference is only about 800 lbs right? They both look to be about the same year range.

However, if the test was an older truck with worn out shocks and incorrectly aired up tires compared to a new dually with new shocks and correctly aire up tires, there would be a "night and day" difference.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a short box half ton with a stubby camper. I have had a 3/4 ton with a 9 foot camper and self loader. Now I have a 1 ton dually with an 11.5 foot camper and hydraulic jacks and Happijac camper tie downs. I have seen a LOT of posts deriding the daullys, and the Happijac tie downs, and products by this or that RV manufacturer. I, however, am VERY happy with my dually, and with my old Caribou camper (by [shudder] FLEETWOOD!!), and with the Happijac tiedowns. And, y'know, I just don't care what anybody else thinks. No flaming, not trying to be a smart A, just stating my opinion.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Big Rig

Eastern Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/07 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to relate an experience I had a month ago. We had just spent 4 days sightseeing in Death Valley and were on our way to the LA area. We were coming down some mountains on highway 127 when we noticed what we thought was fog or dust in the valley ahead of us. We soon found out it was sand blowing in the wind. For about the next 80 miles we drove in some really nasty crosswinds with intermittent sandstorms. After getting on I-15 we saw a truck blocking traffic in the opposite direction. It had blown over. Further down the road, after a semi had passed us we saw the right rear set of duals lift off the pavement momentarily. Then just before we reached Barstow we encountered a wreck of many vehicles in the opposite direction. There were ambulances, fire trucks, police cars & a heliocopter there. All traffic was stopped in the other direction. We later heard there were 2 fatalities. During this long drive in the high winds I never felt like we were in any danger of blowing over & I felt in control of the truck. I think the extra leverage of that dual wheel out there cannot be imitated by any suspension mods on a SWR.
To each his own. Go with whatever works for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Big Rig

04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the approx. weight of the AF 1190? No doubt a very nice TC, but as I recall a bit heavy for either 3500 truck. Modifications will help of course but from what I've seen, aside from SRW vs DRW, a one ton is really nothing more than a 3/4 ton in drag (e.g. the only difference being the addition of a pair factory installed overload springs & uprated door sticker). If I were to someday get a bigger TC I would consider a DRW just to improve rear tire weight limitations, but some of the TC's built nowdays seem too big even for most one ton's.

2007 Dodge 3500 DRW,4x4,L/bed,Q/cab,6.7 diesel w/exhst brake,6 spd. auto,4:10,Timbrens, 2005 Citation 9-6 T/C, 1 keeper wife,1 son, 1 yellow lab, 2 quad polaris atv's & trailer,extreme lust for freedom & self accountibility, neither low output or income.

CTRAM

CT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/07 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has gotten into yet another discussion about srw vs drw. As previously stated to each their own. I bought my first dually in 1986 because I did not like the way my srw was handling with my tc on and I liked the extra margin of safety if I had a rear tire blow. There is no doubt in my mind that the wide footprint makes a big difference in handling. I have had never looked back from that decision and have logged a great many miles with a tc or fiver since I got my first dually (I now have my 4th). I have sometimes wished that I could get into a carwash or a tight parking place, but I have never regretted having six wheelx under me or a 4x4,either.

The Upsons
Dean, Jeannine
Wyatt, our Golden Retriever
2013 Roadtrek 210 Popular

milo12

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any downsides to using spacers on a SRW truck to widen the rear track in an attempt to gain more stability? It seems that if you have 285 19.5's and space them out 3-4 inches each side you could be very stable. I don't consider DRW an option as they are poor offroad and too prone to flats caused by rocks getting stuck betwen the tires. I have seen that too many times in Baja.

My Outfitter Apex 9.5

Kober

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Too many unknown variables to make a judgment. But I would say this much, if you found the handling "to be similar" between your SRW and the DRW........... something don't sound right. [emoticon]

Brad

Ditto! I hauled my camper on a SRW with the Ranchos and airbags etc. and now on a DRW. The difference is definetly Day and Night. There is simply no comparison.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW CTD 600, Warn Winch etc,
2008 FUZION 362.
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kober, the difference between your trucks was Day and Night. Cool, now define Day and Night. [emoticon] The point being that what you ccnsider to be Day and Night might not be the same for someone else.

Of course, it doesn't really matter.

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience;

Stock 04 F-250 SRW 2X4 Extended cab camper package 8' bed with 05 NL 10-2000CD
Stock 06 F-350 DRW 4X4 Extended cab camper package 8' bed with 05 NL 10-2000CD

I was expecting a big difference based on comments on this forum. We made the same trips, some through the mountains and alot on the flat lands.

No Difference to speak of, other than piece of mind and actually being closer to GVWR.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

DmaxCamper

Brush Prarie, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kober,

Not to change this to a brand war, but we have read many people with stability/sway issues on Dodges with Airbags. Maybe for you the SRW WAS bad enough that a DRW was a night and day difference, just food for thought.

2000 Arctic Fox 1150// '04.5 CHEVROLET 3500 SRW CC LB 4X4 D'MAX/ALLI.
FIRESTONE BAGS w/in cab controller and air fill tank kit
RANCHO 9000's // LANCE brand cab over struts/stabilizers
Happijac tie downs w/guides.
Goodyear 275/65-20's rated at #3750 ea.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS