|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Coyotes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
otis-agnes

Wrentham, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's an article in the newspaper today about a dog in our town who was attacked by a coyote. It was a 10 yr old deaf lab, doing it's business in it's yard at 8 AM with the owner watching from her deck. The coyote came out of the woods and attacked the dog. Luckily only a small cut - nothing major. The owner screamed, the coyote ran away, only to come back later to watch from the woods. Just a warning that it's coyote mating season, and they are very territorial. We never let Haylie out alone - very scarey! Agnes

Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in rural Minnesota, with our land backing up to a state wildlife refuge. We never let our small dogs our alone. We have not seen the coyotes near the house, but we hear them frequently and I found a leg bone from a deer close to the house a couple of months age.

If it ever thaws out up here, we are going to put in a 6 ft chain link fence with coyote rollers at the top AND we are looking for a large dog to add to the pack to protect the little ones.

Julie

DocInBird

Just Roaming

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haylie, take Agnes into a different room. Stare into her eyes as only you can. Explain to her how you can make coyotes run in terror just by looking at them. Demonstrate this with a big Whoof. If this doesn't work then call Orson. You still have his phone number from the last secret meeting, right?

Shhh. Don't tell anyone about the secret meetings. If these humans figure this out, we are in deep stuff.

--doc
I feel like I have an extra hundred pounds on my feet. Wait, I do and he snores.

ODA238

Rio Grande Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otis-agnes wrote:

There's an article in the newspaper today about a dog in our town who was attacked by a coyote. Agnes

Where do you live since you didn't say?

Dennis & Judy
1994 40' Monaco Signature Series Crown Royale
2005 Jeep Liberty Wrangler Toad
You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.

jackandh2o

Golden Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/07 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We know that feeling. We about 2 miles off the pavement in western Arizona and we never let the hounds out with at least one of us with them. When we see the rabbits hightailing it by the house it usually means one or more coyotes are near by.

Needs Sleep

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ODA238 wrote:

otis-agnes wrote:

There's an article in the newspaper today about a dog in our town who was attacked by a coyote. Agnes

Where do you live since you didn't say?

They possibly live near....

otis-agnes
Wrentham, MA
View Profile

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/07 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DocInBird wrote:

Haylie, take Agnes into a different room. Stare into her eyes as only you can. Explain to her how you can make coyotes run in terror just by looking at them. Demonstrate this with a big Whoof. If this doesn't work then call Orson. You still have his phone number from the last secret meeting, right?

Shhh. Don't tell anyone about the secret meetings. If these humans figure this out, we are in deep stuff.
Doc, you crack me up as usual![emoticon] I wish someday we could meet and discuss how crazy each other is.[emoticon]

We have plenty of coyote around here, but Gen. Gretchen doesn't pay them much mind unless there is the clear and present danger of Darkness and Evil afoot! The coyote are our allies at those times.

Where is Orson's picture??!! We will be needing him very soon!!!

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 9 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

RedRamMan

Northeast Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/07 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Live out side a small town. Not reall rural. I have never heard or seen them but know they are there. The neighbor lady. heard her dogs making a racket, looked out the window, saw 3 coyotes carring off a litter of kittens. she went out but they were gone. We have lots of rabbits and deer around also. The deer ate all the gardens last year. Was first time this had happened. Love the wildlife.

2004 Red Ram SLT QC 3500 Auto CTD HO SB
2001 Cedar Creek 25RLMS 5er

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/07 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO a 6 foot fence will not even slow a coyote down. I suggest 8 foot, unless the rollers you mentioned are an additional 2 feet tall. Coyotes do not bother our German Shepherds. I worry more about bears and mountain lions, both of which we see around here, but we've been here over 16 years and no problems yet. Our outside run for night time potty breaks has an 8 foot fence.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Starfire5

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/07 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck, you're right about the fence. My daughter lives in Colorado and she has coyotes come right over her 6 foot wood fence to try to get at her dogs. She has to be very careful when she lets them out.

Catmom to our 3 camping cats: Helen the orange kitty, tiger Suzy (both rescues, too) and our new gorgeous girl, Samantha.
Doggie Grandma to one gorgeous golden puppy named Jameson

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Coyotes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.