|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Spare tire blew on back end of trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Raptormom02

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this?

Below is a picture of our spare tire on the back of our trailer. We store it on the side of our house with plastic over it to keep the sprinkler water off the trailer. One day last week I came out and the plastic had a tear in it, the tire looked like this, and the tire cover was lying on the ground.

First we thought someone jumped the fence and slit it with a knife. But no other damage to the trailer inside or out. After looking more, we thought maybe it just exploded by itself. Is that possible?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I know this is a TT but this is the forum we use the most due to we love to ride. And we value your opions. Thanks.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 03/20/07 02:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Raptormom02

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry it took a little, but finally got the pictures to work.

mww

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only thought is the plastic keeps moisture in and caused some dry rot. Then it probably heated up excessively (plastic works like a green house) and then BOOM!

yankeeflyer

Fruitland Park,Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/07 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is possible! I was sitting behind a camper one evening enjoying a cold one,when their spare tire blew....I lost a few years on that one! It was caused by being in the sun and having too much pressure in it.

2004 Monaco Knight 34pdd Retired July 06 Follow our Rainbow Family and Travel

Raptormom02

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have only had the plastic on it for about 2 weeks or so. And it had a tire cover on it also.

So it looks like a blow? or more like vandalism?

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/07 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you see any obvious signs of a deliberate puncture in the tire? Where are the CSI guys when you need 'em?

You'll have to take it to a tire shop for replacement. Get the opinion on the cause. Is it still under warranty?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mww

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a blow out to me from the pictures. If vandalism the cuts in the tread would not be so jagged. If you look closely you should be able to easily tell the difference between a natural blow and cuts caused by a knife. Knife cuts will be smooth and all the way through at a single point. Also, would be unusual for a vandal to tear up all the tread. They would more like just stick it a couple of time.

Raptormom02

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, no warranty on it. The funny thing is we were just about to replace all the tires on the trailer anyway due to it being 5 years. This just makes us do it a little sooner.

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/07 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've adjusted thousands of dead tires...don't think I've ever seen one come apart quite like that---but then most of them come apart on the road and that often adds to difficulty in determining a positive cause...Hard to tell from the camera angle whether there are any obvious cuts to the exposed casing, or just where those long, straight breaks are in the tread pattern....but that plastic sheet sure looks like it could have been cut....and the even though heat of the sun may have caused it to finally let go, there are a lot of straight edges on the broken tread...from the looks of the side view, the tire wasn't "hurting" otherwise....what kind of damage to the tire cover? That was between the tire and the plastic, right? Unless your insurance is zero-deductible for comp, I'd chalk it up to the Gods...and be thankful in happened in the yard...or, if you're concerned about your neighbourhood, run it by a tire shop and have 'em take a look-see----I'm sure they've seen vandalism up close and personal...
Jack

goingnorth

Petersburg, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/07 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the greenhouse effect, clear plastic is probably worse on your trailer than nothing at all, it magnifies the sun! Most farmers use clear plastic on there greenhouses, I have been in some with 30 def f. temps outside and 80 deg. f. inside on a sunny day without heat being on. Change your cover!!!

13 F250 6.2L XLT CCSB 4x4 4.30 gears

09 Keystone Passport 290BH UF elec jack,30"scissor jacks+Eliminator Strut Stabilizer,PD9160+wizard,custom bumper hitch,added 18.5gal FW tank,dualcam HP 1200# WD,Fantastic Fan,Axle Flip,Lexan screen door covers.
My Mods.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Spare tire blew on back end of trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS