RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/07 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.K., here’s a little story….
It really is about truck campers, but it is also a travelogue, so please bear with me. The outfit I work for is planning a new Jeep tour, and last week we took a trip to scope out the route. It basically travels along the old Overland Trail from Williams, Arizona to Jerome, a really interesting (cool, neat, fun) old mining town clinging to the slopes of Mingus Mountain in the north central part of the state. It is very close to the red rock areas of Sedona, and offers sweeping, panoramic views of the Verde Valley. Anyway, I took lots of pictures along the way, which you can see here if you are interested.

Jerome was a mining town of the boom and bust variety, with copper ore being the largest mineral body, along with significant quantities of gold and silver. The United Verde mine closed for good in 1953, and the population (over 12,000 during the glory years) eventually dwindled to about 50. Thanks in part to artists and other folks seeking alternative lifestyles in the 70’s and 80’s, Jerome has undergone a resurgence of sorts, and today is alive and well, thanks to the many visitors who come to visit shops and galleries located in the historic district. Anyone visiting Arizona wanting to see a classic western mining town should definitely plan on stopping in.

Now our destination was a quick stop in Jerome, but more importantly we went to see the old Gold King Mine, which defies easy descriptions. Located at the site of a played out gold mine, the proprietor, a fellow named Don, has amassed a collection of old machinery, cars, trucks, heck you name it. We spent about an hour wandering through the property, and I can tell you it would have been just as easy to stay for the day. There is no rhyme or reason to what he has, although it seems he likes old Dodge trucks, heavy equipment, and machinery built to last. I won’t even try to describe the man himself – better if you just visit and get to know him in person.

Anyway, I promised this post would be about truck campers (or something like a truck camper), and at the mine I came across these interesting specimens:

[image]

I guess this is a class C, although I never heard of using a VW bus as the chassis

[image]

[image]

This truck camper is a DRW, almost a hybrid class C, but I never saw one with a sliding glass door!

[image]

[image]

This fuel tanker truck is really interesting, and what qualifies it for the TC forum is the unique sleeper compartment located in the rear – No smoking in bed, please!

So, the bottom line is next time you visit Arizona, make plans to spend some time poking around the scenic areas of Sedona and Jerome. You’ll be glad you did!

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/07 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one of the chassis mount campers just like (sliding glass door and all) that here locally. Or at least we did, since the last time I saw it there was a for sale sign on it.

Lots of fun stuff to find when you explore off the beaten path.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/07 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe after going up the hill to Jerome, they thought the safest thing to do was just leave them up there. The skinny switchbacks going back down are enough to make a guy drink! But then, the skinny roads THROUGH town aren't much better.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/07 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So did big bertha really run? Or was that just a remanent from another time?

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/07 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So did big bertha really run? Or was that just a remanent from another time?

Does she ever! For a modest fee ($10.00) Don will get 'er going....

First, he starts up the old tractor, which uses the PTO to run a compressor to build up enough air pressure to get the big pistons going - The flywheel weighs 13,000 lbs! Then he introduces propane into the cylinders, and the ignition sequence begins. There is a platform where you can stand and watch the valves going up and down - each one is bigger than the largest piston on your truck engine. The fun begins when he starts messing with the timing.... each of the 3 exhaust ports has a straight pipe, and the backfire is the LOUDEST I have ever been priveleged to hear. Don says it is the reason he never has to worry about development encroaching into his little slice of heaven [emoticon]

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/07 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you stop at The Spirit Room while in Jerome?

Neverhappy

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/07 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Europe , I saw a one hour TV program with Don & Bertha, most interesting, thanks for sharing the pics.

Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.