|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My Lance rot problems- my discovery

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/07 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all the posts I have read so far NONE have said anything about using the new synthetic/plastic lumber that replaces WOOD for outdoor use. If the stuff is good enough to use as bump stops and for outdoor patio decks, wouldn't it also be great to use on corners and places where water damage is likely to occur in TCs? It is supposed to be much better than wood for rot resistance and the ability to hold screws.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/07 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sirdrakejr wrote:

In all the posts I have read so far NONE have said anything about using the new synthetic/plastic lumber that replaces WOOD for outdoor use. If the stuff is good enough to use as bump stops and for outdoor patio decks, wouldn't it also be great to use on corners and places where water damage is likely to occur in TCs? It is supposed to be much better than wood for rot resistance and the ability to hold screws.
Frank

Check the history of the outdoor plastic before buying. It ani't all the same. The John Wayne(yes that John Wayne) Marina in Sequim Washington just replaced lots of plastic pilings that were supposed to last forever. Also many outdoor plastic benches and picnic tables have sag problems. Plastic is good but unproven in some applications.
If anyone uses it please post if problems arise. May take several years of use.

On Edit:
Mine own experience with a plastic platform to hold weather instruments was poor. Plain plywood would have lasted longer.

* This post was edited 06/01/07 06:23pm by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

jegssr

eustis, fl

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/07 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sirdrakejr wrote:

Frank
... and it's heavy...

saved and blessed:) One gorgeous wife since '67, '69 son, '71 daughter '03 Cummins 4WD, '03 AF 1150, Generac, solar, [b]'93 Lance 900, Onan TEMPORARILY! truck, trailer, motorhome and sailboat camping since 1967.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/07 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a truck camper but was reading through this thread and wonder if the marine product King Starboard would be good for this repair?

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

dj700mm

denver co

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/07 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its not that bad of a job, I just did mine on the right side of my 97 squire
I took off the trim pieces off, removed the jack and moulding at the rear corner, then removed compartment door and removed the alum siding carefully to get to the bad area, I then took a razor knife on the back side and scored the old luan, I then remove all the rotted wood frame from the compartment down and replaced with 3/4 plywood, I attach the plywood with some sheet metal and waterproof glue, on both sides with a rubber sheet to keep the water out reassembe the moldings with 1" caukling and everthing back together took me about weekend to do it, looks like it never had a problem after it was back together.

2001 Ford CC F350 with a little mods
97 Lance 880 Squire,
Winter toys:06 Summit800/02 Mountain Max 700
ATV's when no snow

HarryBB

Nisswa Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/07 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitions as given me by only Lance dealer in MN:

Skirts - the areas on the vertical sides that hang down below the levl of the wings in the rear. Many Lances have rot there - as does my 2003 1121 right now. The issue on mine was a design flaw in the seam between skirt and sidewall. Lance is picking up parts costs to do the seam retrofit and skirt replacement even though I'm not original owner and out of warranty.

Wings - The horizontal surfaces that extend beyound the sides of the truck bed. That's a bigger issue because of structural and support issues.

I was corrected several times by dealer when talking about "replacing my wings". I'm actuall replacing my skirts.... (no smart remarks) which is the situation that started this thread.

'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

jerryb4

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/07 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 99 Lance with a soft right "skirt" (Thanks HarryBB for the clarification) my camper has the fiberglass shell and I haven,t seen anyone mention skirt problems with the fiberglass, is mine a fluke? if not, what have those of you with the fiberglass shell done as a fix?

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/07 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey LTG,

E-mail me your photos and I'll post them.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

tcwizkid

alva, florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/07 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear of your problem. I've repaired many of the rear rot problems. I now spray a black ruberized undercoating down there and a light grey rustolium to return it to factory color.befor they leave the lot. So far so good. My average charge to repair that problem has been about $400.00. But I"m in Alva, Florida so that won't do you any good

Lance Noob

Minneapolis, Minn

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/07 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tcwizkid wrote:

Sorry to hear of your problem. I've repaired many of the rear rot problems. I now spray a black ruberized undercoating down there and a light grey rustolium to return it to factory color.befor they leave the lot. So far so good. My average charge to repair that problem has been about $400.00. But I"m in Alva, Florida so that won't do you any good

$400.00 per side???

Hmm.....

I haven't been to Florida in my TC yet.....
[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My Lance rot problems- my discovery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.