RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Flexing receiver on '07 Suburban?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Flexing receiver on '07 Suburban?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
xycarp

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/07 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my weights. I posted them in the thread where I had the original setup question:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/19884187/gotomsg/19984746.cfm#19984746

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/07 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Wow, if this is a crack, then the new GM receiver is also a POS !!!!

Since the dealer replaced this one, is the second one also cracked?

Why not believe that this receiver is not doing it's job and is
bending/flexing????

Which is consuming the WD bar forces, so the TV won't have enough weight
transferred (distributed...aka...WD hitch system).

This contributes to the 'bouncing' you talk/complain about.

Can you take a better picture of that crack, if there is another crack
on the 2nd OEM receiver.

I'd also suggest looking at the rest of the receiver to inspect for
other cracks. Mainly the same spot on the other side and on the upper
side of both drivers and passenger sides.

A bunch of new questions on this new receiver.

Most welds are stronger than the base metals they fuse together, so
why did the weld crack? Usually wrong alloy, temp of the mating parts
too cold, too much heat wicked away too fast to over harden, etc, etc.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/07 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-

havedreamwilltravel

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/07 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK -

The pic you have is a pic from the first receiver, not the 2nd. new one. Just an FYI.

2007 GMC Yukon Denali - 6.2L 380hp/417ft-lbs,0-60 in 6.2 seconds
2007 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Control
Our Truck and Trailer
Easy Trailer Mods-NEW pics added 4/10/08

Visited a lot of states, haven't camped in many...yet. ">

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/07 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like you do not have enough weight on the tongue. 10% is bare minimum. 12% is better. 15-18% should be too much. If your ball is to high and the trailer and tow vehicle are level and in line, you can experience sway also. Especially if you are forcing that height with the torsion bars. If you are having to really bend the torsion bars a lot to make the combo level, then your ball height need changing also. Still, I would get your weights for tow vehicle, front axle, rear axle, and TT total axle. Then go back without the TT and weigh the front axle and the rear axle of the tow vehicle. 5 numbers. Compare the numbers and it will give some ideas. Also check where the water tank is if you fill it before you leave home. It can be a big part of the problem if it is behind the TT axles. Can be used to add weight to the tongue if it's ahead of the TT axles.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

UsualSuspect

Saugus, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/07 12:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read in the thread about the 2007 hitches being different. My Dad's 2007 Suburban 2500 and my 2500HD Classic D/A have the same tubular hitch. His did crack at the welds to the tube and he replaced it before it failed completely. If I were to tow with mine, I would replace it first also. Maybe some of the 07's have something different, but some of them have the old tube style, both the 2500HD's and Suburbans.. The Hitch shop that replaced my Dad's had 7 others there just like it. The owner of the shop is keeping all of the failed ones just in case someone needs it.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD ">)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/07 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale_S wrote:

I read in the thread about the 2007 hitches being different. My Dad's 2007 Suburban 2500 and my 2500HD Classic D/A have the same tubular hitch. ... Maybe some of the 07's have something different, but some of them have the old tube style, both the 2500HD's and Suburbans.

Could you please post pictures of the tubular hitch on the 2007 Suburban? I would like to see how this fits through the plastic bumper cover.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

havedreamwilltravel

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/07 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Dale_S wrote:

I read in the thread about the 2007 hitches being different. My Dad's 2007 Suburban 2500 and my 2500HD Classic D/A have the same tubular hitch. ... Maybe some of the 07's have something different, but some of them have the old tube style, both the 2500HD's and Suburbans.

Could you please post pictures of the tubular hitch on the 2007 Suburban? I would like to see how this fits through the plastic bumper cover.

The HD and 2500 trucks still have the old-style hitch. ALL 1/2 tons have a new re-designed hitch. The two ¾ ton Suburban’s I looked at had the same NEW bumper integrated hitch as the ½ tons. Just an FYI

No aftermarket hitch available for the bumper integrated style. The pick-ups, however, it isn't an integrated bumper style so those are easily replaceable.

UsualSuspect

Saugus, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/07 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to look at what they did at the hitch shop when it was there. I remember crawling underneath it to look at it when he mentioned it. I do remember it was difficult to inspect due to the plastic bumper, it wasn't square stock up underneath, it was round, that I do remember. I will have to run up there this weekend and look at it. I wonder if they fabricated something to make it work.

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/07 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL the GM factory hitches are slightly different for the new (GMT900) models.

Many of them look the same, and for those the design is the same (round tube design, underslung pin box with diagonal brace and flanged U brace to bumper), but ALL are in fact different than their predecessors.

A couple of the not so obvious differences are in cross tube diameter and in the material thickness.

The trucks, and the Ultimate Utility (AKA Avalanche) have the subtly redesigned round tube hitches. There continue to be differences between the 1/2 ton and HD designs. The most obvious is the oversized (2.5") pinbox in the HDs, to compete with what Ford has been offering.

On the sport utilities, the hitch is obviously different, and obviously integrated into the bumper. If you decide to mount an aftermarket hitch below the frame, I would not remove this bumper, as the frame rail flanges where the aftermarket hitch would conceivably bolt (similar bolt pattern as GMT800) will be weakened (without the integrated bumper frame bracket inserts bolted in place).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Flexing receiver on '07 Suburban?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.