RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Canada Eh?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Canada Eh?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/07 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canada Eh? We're off again travelling the roads in the Northeast USA and into Canada. In four days we have only seen one other TC on the road but tonight there are three older Coachman TCs here in the campground. Unfortunately my French is "don't speak it" and their English is about the same. We did communicate with hand gestures mostly thumbs down at the big As and Cs. Nice wine sharing though.

Sunday - First camp night was at St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada where we once again visited Kingsbrae Gardens The gardens alone were worth the trip. The RV park is within walking distance of the gardens and is basically a sand pit but inexpensive and right on the water. http://www.kiwanisoceanfrontcamping.com/. Wore a couple of layers off our shoes that day.

[image]

Monday - On to St. John, New Brunswick. This vibrant city packs a vast amount of things to do in a small area. First was a visit to the
Reversing Falls. The ocean tide incoming and the river draining meet and form a waterfall which reverses and creates whirlpools. Again a few more layers off the shoes with walking down the stairways to the river. We watched two kayakers tackle the falls, not very successfully but we didn't watch a drowning at least.

Next on to the New Brunswick Museum as they were hosting an exhibit of early shipbuilding, railroading, and logging. Even though the TC is only 26 feet long, it intimidates most parking lot attendants so we were having problems parking. One man finally told us to go park for free at Harbor Station, the city arena for hockey and concerts. There is an amazing fully enclosed, tiled walkway that goes from the arena uphill over roads, through buildings and up to the older market part of town. Walkway system in Saint John The museum was excellent (free!), fresh fruit at the old market even better. Thankfully the return to the TC was downhill.

From Saint John, we drove on to visit a quilting friend in Sussex. Her son works for the company that bottles Moosehead beer. Eh Canada - you got that one really right. Then onward down small roads to the Fundy Provincial Park. Big wooded sites, hiking trails right out of the campground but these old feet were put up on the picnic table that night. It is amazing how clean the air is in a spruce forest with that sharp pine tang.

[image]

Tuesday - up early to hike down to Pointe Wolfe and see the tides. Pea soup fog so we only made it half way down. No sense in keeping going, could barely see each other. On we traveled through the Fundy Coastal Trail headed for Hopewell Rocks and the 40+ foot tide change. Fog lifted as we drove treating us to scenes of farms, forests, beautiful valleys filled with crops and livestock. The one short cut we tried to take (well it WAS on the Delorme Map) quickly became a turn around. Not fun feeling a 6-1/2 ton vehicle sliding sideways on loose gravel. Four wheel drive got us turned around partially in a cow pasture and back to the main Fundy Coastal Trail.

Dead low tide was at 9:09AM and we got to Hopewell Rocks about 9:30. LONG walk down,down,down to the beach, going through pine forests, wooded walkways and finally a long corkscrew set of iron stairs. Those stairs ended on the "beach" which was comprised of rocky outcrops, deep red mud and gigantic "flower pots" of stone left over from rock eroded away by the ocean. You could literally see the tide coming back in. Lots of deliriously happy children covered in muddy ooze dancing around their equally unhappy parents. Climbed back up - slowly.

[image]

[image]

On through Moncton, Shediac and then a cut over off of Route 15 to PR955 - a mistake even though the views were good out to sea. If anything were ever going to fall apart on the TC, that road would have rattled it loose. Over the Confederation Bridge to PEI - Prince Edward Island and a leisurely drive through small roads to Cavendish. We'll camp out of here for two days, tomorrow probably driving the north loop out to the top of PEI and also trying to find the best seafood place on the island. Have to take my house sitter a couple of pounds of fresh scallops. More when we get Internet access again.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/07 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very cool. Hope to get there before long. Thanks for sharing, and happy camping!

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/07 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. That fog bank picture is just lovely. [emoticon]

amacrae

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/07 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, yes, Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping. Last year, my wife and I took a week along the Canadian Maritimes, stopping for our first night in St. Andrew. (This was pre Road Trek) I have been thinking (dreaming) about an RV for about 15 years. Saw a Road Trek in St. Andrew and had a chance to look at it from the outside. Anyway, spent our first night in Canada at the Tara Mansion, a cozy, family run business we would highly recommend. On to St. John the next two nights and up to Monkton and Hopewell Rocks. While we had two more night's booked in the St. John hotel, we liked St. Andrew so much that we decided to go back to Tara Mansion for our last two nights. Found the KOC campground and said, "wow, that would be great".

So, you have photos nearly identical to ones I took last August, although it appears you had better weather. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen other than Europe. I now have a new Road Trek RS Adventurous and a week from Thursday, I'll be at KOC for a week.

Thanks for giving me something to look forward too again.

* This post was edited 07/17/07 07:53pm by amacrae *

Alan
2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
FMCA F386555
W1ALM

Alschott

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/07 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those rocks look like you went to the South Pacific somehow, glad this trip is going well.
Nice to know that even without a common language, truck campers rule!

Al

COOLCHAS11

Hernando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/07 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post. We are headed to ME and NB next week. Charlie

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/07 02:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwoManiacs, you should be used to some pretty high tides. Up around Lubec, Campobello Island, etc. tides pretty well run 30'.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/07 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s great! Thanks for posting and the commentary on your trip. Sounds like you're having a great time. I've put St John, NB on the list of future destinations. I'm leaving for Coopers Mills Maine tomorrow (parents have a place on Long Pond). I can't wait to say hello to the bass. Dave.

Joyce in NY

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/07 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your trip pictures & commentary. We took a very similar trip last year and you brought back great memories!

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/07 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, You're taking one of my dream trips. We hope to do it next summer. Pics are great. Enjoyed reading about the DeLorme oopsy, remember you could have been in a Class A...what then. Gotta love a TC. We went down a Forest Service road in Idaho once for almost a mile before finding a turn around, all the time thinking "Well I could back out if I had to".

Enjoy
Ted

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Canada Eh?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.