RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Canada Eh?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Canada Eh?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/07 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

North Cape Coast, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Wednesday, July 18th found us on the western leg of the North Cape Coastal Drive. From Cavendish we headed westward through beautiful farm country to Malpeque. This islamd could survive easily without any food imports as they grow potatoes, corn, raise beef and dairy cattle and have the sea for fish and shellfish. Almost everyone has what looked like 6-8 cords of wood cut and ready for winter. On to Summerside to find the bag pipe college for my uncle. Missed the morning blowing? of the pipes but enjoyed walking around this small town. It is the closest to a tourist town we found and were glad to pull out.

[image]

Staying on the smallest roads we could find, we headed for the first lighthouse of the day at Cap Egmont. Met a couple in their F-250 without 5th wheel and chatted for a long time. They live about an hour from us in Maine and we traded good places to go. Are all RVers friendly? Found a local seafood wholesaler in Abram Village and talked them into selling us two pounds of scallops and cans of lobster pate. House sitter will be very happy with the bounty though I had a can of pate for supper [emoticon]

[image]

Found a dirt road that led off of the secondary road and found out that red dirt roads in PEI stick to your white vehicle like glue. Lots of the secondary roads were in pitted, bumpy condition; this dirt one was smooth. Ended up in Alaska, PEI at a fish pier. Once again the TC performed admirably without anything shaking loose or falling off over these rough roads.

[image]

Next lighthouse was at Cedar Dunes Provincial Park on the west point of the island. Only meal we ate out was here with a lunch of seafood stew and broiled sole. Very good and obviously fresh. The RV camping area in this park had big sites, were shaded by spruce and were also right on the beach. There were many vacant sites which seemed odd but a local person said the price of gas/diesel was holding down tourism this year.

It was a lot further drive than we had figured from the west point up to the North Cape but interesting ocean and farm views along the way. PEI is experimenting with wind power and had many of the huge windmills along the sea coast. Finally arrived at the North Cape to see maybe 20 wind turbines of various shapes and blade configurations. The University is testing which blade works the best. I had no idea that a windmill was so big. Decided to cut down Route 2 through the center of the point headed back to Cavendish. Of course we had a lot of road construction but I did spot a woolen mill. The MacAusland Woolen Mill still spins yarn for woven blankets and for knitters. Behaved myself and only bought one sweaters worth of yarn.

Tomorrow we head west towards Frederickton, New Brunswick to probably go to Kings Landing, a recreated village of early life in Canada. No camping reservations as usual but we'll find somewhere to park the TC and then head home the next day. Fun trip so far, exhausting with all the walking and sight seeing but worth the diesel and the time. Again today we felt as though we had stepped back into a much gentler, agrarian culture with friendly people and beautiful land. We'd come again.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/07 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1296 miles, 107 gallons of diesel for $375, average price $3.51 per gallon, 12.1 mpg average with TC loaded. Paid $3.72 to $3.99 per gallon for diesel in New Brunswick and PEI, $2.90 in Maine.

Worth it? Absolutely and will return for longer to drive and hike the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Returned in pouring rain so lots of the fine red dirt from PEI is washed away. Good trip and one I'd recommend.

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/07 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome Back,

Got any more pics of the Kingsbrae Gardens? They look worth the trip alone.

Ted

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/07 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ted - Brad would throw me off the TC forum if I posted any more garden photos. [emoticon] Come one over to see us. I've got a lot of photos of the garden plus you can have all the maps, brochures and tour books we picked up for New Brunswick and PEI. You coming over to Recompense to kayak? If you don't have our phone number, private mail me.

Took two hours today to wash the truck and camper and clean the inside of both from all that fine red gritty powder from the PEI roads. All restocked and ready to hit the road again but I bet it is mid August before we can again.

Anne

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/07 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two BIG THINGS you missed.

1) Charlottetown Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. More than food. But go with almost empty fridge and almost empty tummy. Rasberries with Jersey whipped cream (or Guernsey, maybe). Good German cuisine, Indian as in (East) cuisine, ordinary organic veggies, specialty meats.

2) & New Glasgow Lobster Suppers

Good for you in finding MacAuslands. I like them too. Yes, I also use Briggs. Both have a nice range of colours.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/07 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for those photos, very nice.

luv2skyski wrote:

......I've put St John, NB on the list of future destinations.....

It's on my list to....but my question is how big a list can we keep? [emoticon] Do you have to knock some off when you hit that number? I'm afraid my list is so dang big there isn't a bit of chance I'll make it to all of them unless I retired tomorrow and lived to be 100. [emoticon]

But what the heck, I'll keep adding them for now. [emoticon]

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/07 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Anne and Joe,
It sounds like you had a great time in PEI. We went there a few years ago in our TC and stayed at Seal Cove Campground. We loved it, it's on our list to do again....We had to take the boat across as the bridge was just starting to be built. It must be a lot different now. Remember if you ever get close to Bridgton, let me know....... Happy Camping !! [emoticon] TD

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/07 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was one very long, high bridge and we were glad there weren't high winds when we are on it. Not one of my favorite things to do is cross high, long bridges. Maybe getting off it didn't make me as upset as I could have been paying the $40 toll to leave the island. I don't think I'd do great driving down to Key West

Anne

Mike Tassinari

Peabody Mass..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/07 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone...

Hi Ann&Joe,,,

You people are really putting on the miles and making me very jealouse...LOL...Still got a few more years of work before Ol Mikee get to waunder about the countryside...

Got a spare rezzy for Key West next Jan.(08)gonna be there 14 days...Just tuck your rig behind me and we will be there in no time...

Driving to Key West today is a breaze compared to when I first went in 1979..Talk about a white knuckle trip!!! Yikes....

Mike Tassinari

2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Canada Eh?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.