RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: African American and other minority groups camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> African American and other minority groups camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2Rovers

First Star to the Right.........

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/07 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmanatl wrote:

Nothing like a mess of fry bread cooked over an open fire!

You are soooooo right!!!!!

I think sometimes we forget that the freedoms we have are freedoms not because of celebrities. The freedoms are because of ordinary people who did extraordinary things, who loved this country more than life itself.

gmanatl

Hiram, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/07 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a Cherokee Indian and have a Winnebago Chieftain DP ironic yes! I have seen black families at campgrounds but it has been a rare experience. Nothing like a mess of fry bread cooked over an open fire!

Dev_null

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/07 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my two cents,
we are a black family who enjoys camping with a RV. Since we live near Disney World Ft Wilderness is our favorite spot. The kids just love it there and it's always great to see other minorities camping. I remember years ago when we would go scuba diving and the stares we would get. We live in Florida and love all that it has to offer other than the hurricanes. We are still looking to purchase a RV and until we do it's rentals all the way. I would prefer a motor home and the wifey wants a travel trailer oh well maybe I will win.

Family 1st

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/07 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phwang20 wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of feeling un-welcomed. Being Korean and immigrating to America when I was 4, we didn't do much camping.

WOW! I truly thought that I was the only Korean/Asian RV'er! Well now we make 2!

Quote:

At the same time, I have a lot of friends (family included) that poke fun at me for being a RV'er... hehe. I enjoy it, what can I say?

Agreed. But at least you don't drive a GMC 3500 Crew Cab Long Box. Being a 5' 7" asian man, not only do I get harassed for owning a 5th wheel but I also take flack for driving such a monsterous truck. I may not be the only Korean RV'er anymore but I feel pretty safe with my statement of being the only Korean driving a GMC.

P.S. And no, I don't use a phone book as a booster seat...

2007 GMC 3500HD 4x4/Crew Cab/Long Box
2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 35L4QB

djncas

Waynesboro Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/07 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a African American country boy who has always love the outdoors. One of the most relaxing things for me to do is to "Hook and Go"! And my favorite camping area to go is Amish country, in Lancaster Pa.Its the most relaxing area we go. And with the topic of this post you are all correct about the very light amount of none Caucasion people camping. I love the outdoors and hate the citys. We are contemplating going full time in a couple of years,and getting a perm site next year.Would not have it any other way!!!!!!! Not to be selfish,but as far as the rest of the ethnic people who don't camp Its their lost

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky tire.

Carl and "D"
Handson Harlee, 7mth old Saint Bernard(Service Dog)

In memory of Drago Rotty Service Dog
05/12/98 11/05/08

2007 4x4 Q Cab Hemi Ram 08 Keystone Hornet 26 RBS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/07 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see all racial groups when I camp. However they all just seem like people to me and I just don't get why so many people need to have these categories to keep track of. I try to smile and say hi and greet everyone as a potential friend. And the categories are absurd at best anyway. I am American with mostly German ancestry, I am not from caucasia or the county, continent or any place known as white even if I do have fair skin. I always mark "other" because German is never listed. That is my rant for the month, you can all go back to the normal discussion now. [emoticon]

ezrider6298

Conyers, Ga. Rockdale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/07 03:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have noticed this also, but one of the nicest pair of campground hosts that I have encountered was an older black couple. Really nice people.

boomer038

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/07 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am African-American, my family and I have been Rv'ing for 6 years now we love it. It's a great time to bond with family and friends. Plus you usually meet like minded people out to have a good time. Hope to see ya out there.

2008 Coachman Freedom Express FX31SS
Our second RV
Now looking for a good Toad & Satellite TV

phwang20

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/07 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family 1st wrote:

Agreed. But at least you don't drive a GMC 3500 Crew Cab Long Box. Being a 5' 7" asian man, not only do I get harassed for owning a 5th wheel but I also take flack for driving such a monsterous truck. I may not be the only Korean RV'er anymore but I feel pretty safe with my statement of being the only Korean driving a GMC.

P.S. And no, I don't use a phone book as a booster seat...

Hey what's up man, welcome to the forum. Not only were you wrong about you being only Korean/Asian (although I COMPLETELY understand the feeling - I have yet to run into another Korean family while we were camping), you're also wrong about the GMC. My wife drives a Yukon Denali!! Haha! I admit, it's not the same as a full size, but I live on 2.5 acres, I'm on a septic system, have deer occasionally in my yard, we RV, &&&& we own a GMC. Man, I'm getting pretty "rural", eh?

Take care!

2011 Heartland Bighorn Ti-32 37' 5th Wheel
Bought a RV to enjoy God's country

Family 1st

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/07 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am probably the only Korean, or asian for that matter who RV's. I am 32, wifey is 28 and have we have 3 beautiful children 8/5/2. Been camping since I was 15. I believe it's how you grew up that has alot to do with why there are not too many minorities camping, not because minorities do not like the outdoors, financial situations, etc... I never went camping with my parents, much less went on vacation because they were too busy working 2 jobs 6-7 days a week. It wasn't until high school that I had my first camping experience with friends and loved it. Been camping ever since. Some of my best memories are from camping and although my version of camping now is MUCH different than camping as a kid [emoticon] I want nothing more than to provide thousands of happy memories for my children and I truly believe that RV'ing brings our family closer, the quality of time spent is better, and it teaches my children to appreciate the outdoors. In 5 years I plan to full time it for a year or so and take the family across the US to see the Country the way it was supposed to be seen...

* This post was edited 08/31/07 11:03pm by Family 1st *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> African American and other minority groups camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.