|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magic Chef oven has lost its magic

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cross country

Brentwood Bay, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Symptoms; oven less and less dependable for holding temperature. Operator has had to turn to higher and higher setting until it works no more.
pilot has low flame on pilot however does not increase flame when control temp knob is turned to ignite main burner.

when control knob is rotated quickly from 200 to 500 the heater/pilot tries to increase in size to light burner but dies down to normal pilot condition.

the top burners all work well with no yellow flame and or flame trying to leave the burner....I expect that the regulator is working.

Bottom line.....oven pilot will not light main burner.

Question.....what needs replacing? I would guess the thermostat control is mal functioning, in essence telling the gas heater/pilot to shut down to low pilot?

Lines have been blown out, including control...now rotating the knob will not induce any activity at all.

Thanks very much for any suggestions or confirmed suspicions.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

teb1272

Memphis

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds to me that you are right-the thermostat isn't working right. But before you conclude that, check the lines again. The fact that it now doesn't work after blowing out the lines sounds a lot like you finished plugging up something while trying to blowout the lines.

JFG

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/07 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely suspect is the flame master located on the bottom of the unit near the burner tube. It's about 2x2 inches and is powder gray.The FM controls the amount of gas going to the burner. any RV parts/repair place will have one.

Fred

cross country

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Oven safety valve controls gas flow to the main burner. The valve is operated by a thermal bulb in the heater pilot flame. This bulb is connected to a bellows in the (safety) valve by a capillary tube. When the bulb is heated, the mercury within it expands, in turn expanding the bellows and opening the valve. The opposite occurs when the heater-pilot flame subsides."

Ok, is the Flame Master the safety valve? The safety valve is the only equipment at the back which feeds the main burner.

It seems the problem may be in the weak pilot, which is burning but not enough flame or pressure to reach the thermal bulb more than 1/2 an inch away.(when set on pilot position or high temp) When I use an outside source flame under the bulb, the main burner lights and then goes out if the flame is taken away from the bulb. So I think the pilot should get more gas to heat the thermal bulb when the thermostat control knob is turned past pilot for the desired temperature. Maybe it(the pilot) should always be on full?

I do not know what controls this operation...the thermostat control or the safety valve or none of the above? Is it possible the main regulator at the tank is not up too snuff even though the top burners on the stove are burning correctly? Thanks again.

I cleaned the pilot lines again including the orfice to no avail.

chipper

Nampa,Id

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds pretty obvious your thermostat is done.

gene

cross country

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks chipper and all. Interesting, the thermostat is 149.00 + 13% taxes up here, and 104.00 in the USA. New range in USA; 359.00. Sure makes parts expensive. Think I'll get the part rather than get a new Chinese Magic Chef. I'll save the Chinese for take out.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/07 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The oven in a previous rv would start out holding setpoint real good then it would get to running cooler and cooler til it couldn't finish a baking job. I took the safety valve apart and cleaned the disc and port with alcohol and a soft cloth - it had some sticky oil on it. Then it worked perfect! Craig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magic Chef oven has lost its magic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.