RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's the most I can tow with a hitch extension?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What's the most I can tow with a hitch extension?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Capt. Caper

CapeCod

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 08 f350 SD Diesel with Lance 820. I'd like to use just a hitch extension on the OEM hitch to tow my 2 place Snowmobile trailer. GVW on trailer is 2900..Sleds weigh around 500lbs. each..trailer ???must be less than 1k..

What's the most GVW would I be able to haul with this setup?

2011 F350 Super Duty,SRW, 6.7 PowerStroke,Crew Cab,Lariet,4x4, 3.55 Locking Diff ,Short Box.Timbrens,Happy Jack's, Gator Guard bed liner, Penda bed mat.
2012 Lance 855S 9K Coleman A/C,Duel Batteries

okeehandyman

south florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Torklift's website. Lots of info there for various lengths of extensions.

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to know the length of the extension to be able to judge this question. I would not go over a 24" extension in a stock receiver myself, and I would de-rate the hitch rating by 50% at that. So you would be good for your trailer at a loaded weight of 2500lbs and 250 lbs tongue weight, no WD hitch. Anything much more than that and I would be looking for a Towbeast or a Superhitch. I chose the Towbeast, I tow up to 8K lbs with WD hitch per their ratings. And I have to say that it really works superbly! My little 2500 Dodge with it's little Hemi moves a 28 ft car hauler and carries an 8' TC, and does it comfortably and with just about zero sway. On my most recent trip I had to run it in cruise control at 70 mph because my right foot kept creeping it up to 80mph to match the traffic passing me! Mind you, fairly flat and no headwind, but still it put a smile on my face!

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow my Jeep Wrangler on a 41 inch hitch extension.
I also tow a 17 foot fibreglas boat on a tandem axle trailer with it.
The extension is braced to the end of the truck frame with chains and turnbuckles, and is bolted to the bumper of the 11 1/2 foot camper.
I have several thousand miles towing the Jeep, and several hundred towing the boat. I have yet to notice any sign of movement or wear which would indicate incipient failure. Yes, I inspect it regularly.
It works.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/07 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe your OEM hitch will handle an extension. You will need to change out the hitch with either a SuperHitch (Torklift) or Tow Beast (Reese). The SuperHitch has the hightest load rating if you want to max your tow capabilities.

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an old reese hitch and the extension is rated for 500lb tongue weight and 5000lb tow at about 4X". I think it was 700 / 7000 with a WD hitch.

'97 C3500 4 door dually with big heavy camper The Camper My Ford EFI Tuning Website

Capt. Caper

CapeCod

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VintageRacer wrote:

You need to know the length of the extension to be able to judge this question. I would not go over a 24" extension in a stock receiver myself, and I would de-rate the hitch rating by 50% at that. So you would be good for your trailer at a loaded weight of 2500lbs and 250 lbs tongue weight, no WD hitch. Anything much more than that and I would be looking for a Towbeast or a Superhitch. I chose the Towbeast, I tow up to 8K lbs with WD hitch per their ratings. And I have to say that it really works superbly! My little 2500 Dodge with it's little Hemi moves a 28 ft car hauler and carries an 8' TC, and does it comfortably and with just about zero sway. On my most recent trip I had to run it in cruise control at 70 mph because my right foot kept creeping it up to 80mph to match the traffic passing me! Mind you, fairly flat and no headwind, but still it put a smile on my face!

Brian

Brian What is the Max rating on a OEM Ford Hitch? I think it's only 3500lbs.Class III isn't it? So if I cut that in half I'd be able to to 1750lbs. GVW. with 175lb.s on the tonque. I don't have the truck yet. But I believe a 24" would be plenty..from measureing the 02 I had a while back.

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford OEM hitch on that year uses the massive 2 1/2" receiver. I was just looking at one at the dealer yesterday oddly enough. Extending it 12 or so inches would be no problem for 2900lbs.

Ford has never put something as whimpy as a class 3 on any of thier F350's. Ever.

If you wanted to gaurantee you're good, Torklift rates thier Superhitch(which I have) at 600lbs tongue, 6,000lbs towing at 48" out, no equalizer.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 2-place (2100#) behind my 9.5' camper on a 18" extension with no worries. It's not enough weight to even notice. Mine's a Chevy but I know my factory hitch is not any better than the Ford one. I can't see spending the $$$ to upgrade the receiver for a 2000# trailer with such a short extension.

Mosandman

SE Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/07 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can also look into the pullrite camper special hitch. 2000 tongue and 20,000 pull.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What's the most I can tow with a hitch extension?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS