RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yellowstone in Oct?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
eaw46

Regina Sask. Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/07 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi the DW and I are thinking of taking a last trip in the MH before shutting down for the winter. We are thinking of Yellowstone on our Thanksgiving weekend. That's Oct 06 to about the 12th we are commming down from Regina Canada and think it will be nice to see the trees changing colours and quite quiet and nice that time of yr. Can anyone tell me if the Park is still open and operating and any tips about the best way to travel there and back and where to stay and what to see. We have a 35' Class A with toad. Thanks for your Help Eddy

Eddy from the Great White North

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 39

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/07 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowstone is open til Nov 1. The Grissley RV park in West Yellowstone is nice.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

janmcn

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/07 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park will be fine. We're in Billings, MT and have just been in the park for 3 days and will return for 3 more in mid-Oct. (after you.) HOWEVER...your biggest problem may be getting any campground space! When we were there last week, we just went to Madison CG to see what was what, and good thing...they said they were full the weekend we wanted to arrive (Oct. 13) but had some space that Mon-Th. Call right away! I can't remember when Grizzly closes in West Yellowstone, but that would be an excellent choice instead. Most the campgrounds in the park will be closed by the end of Sept. Gooogle the Yellowstone website and it will show the various closings. You'll have a great time.
Jan

Jan McN, Fulltimer

WhitehouseLV

Cowboy State

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/07 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we went to Yellowstone the last week in September and stayed at Grizzly RV park. There were very few RVs. Most of the campgrounds in the park had lots of open sites. Unless something is drastically different I don't think you will have a problem finding a campground. We saw several bison, elk, wolves, deer, no bears though. I wish we would have spent more time camping inside the park, more opportunity to see wildlife right out your camper.

40' Keystone Toyhauler
F350 6.4L DRW to pull the TH
KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Kawasaki KX 100
Honda CRF 150R
Honda CRF 80F
Honda CRF 110F
Honda CRF 450X
Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail
Polaris 50 Outlaw

janmcn

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/07 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WhitehouseLV...you went the last week of Sept. when the park campgrounds are still open, so I'm not surprised there were sites available. However, this person is saying they will be there in Oct...big diff for campground availability...Only Madison and Mammoth open there, and as I said...Madison is FULL already for most of Oct. (They close also the end of Oct.) Grizzly closes Oct. 20. He'd better have reservations somewhere.

WhitehouseLV

Cowboy State

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/07 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janmcn wrote:

WhitehouseLV...you went the last week of Sept. when the park campgrounds are still open, so I'm not surprised there were sites available. However, this person is saying they will be there in Oct...big diff for campground availability...Only Madison and Mammoth open there, and as I said...Madison is FULL already for most of Oct. (They close also the end of Oct.) Grizzly closes Oct. 20. He'd better have reservations somewhere.

I don't see why Grizzly would be any more crowded on Oct 6 - 12th. If it was empty the last week in Sept wouldn't you figure it would be empty the 2nd week in Oct.

janmcn

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/07 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure they will have room at Grizzly then (Oct.) since Grizzly is large, but it is only one of a handful (or less) of RV parks that is open in the Y'stone area after Sept. 30. The crunch for places tightens then. In late Sept. you still have many campgrounds open so there's less of a crunch. The latest stats show that Yellowstone is showing an increase in visitors of over 10%...almost 12% for August. We were very surprised to find that we had to have reservations for mid-Oct. so I was just passing on the info. Better safe than sorry. We're finding RV parks in the Y'stone-Teton area are pretty much closed after Sept. 30. It's a fabulous time to visit, though.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As most people will tell you it is open but you need to really keep an eye on the weather as it change very quickly.

Now that said this is the best time to go to the Park if you wave the right window with the weather.

A couple years ago we went during the last weeks of October and it was the best trip ever. Not a lot of campgrounds open but it really doesn’t matter as all the services are closed, make sure you are full of Propane, fuel and food as they might not be available while you are in the park.

The reasons to go

Camp grounds

[image]

[image]

River -- fly fishermen

[image]

Buffalo

[image]

Sunset over the River

[image]

Enjoy the trip,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grizzly RV closes for the season on Oct. 20.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

WhitehouseLV

Cowboy State

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for clearing it up janmcn. I agree better safe than sorry.

Busskipper very nice pics! That is a pretty big rig you got there what campground & site # was that ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS