RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Camping and Salmon Fishing in Michigan- PICS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping and Salmon Fishing in Michigan- PICS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Steelheadbuck

Ann Arbor, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/07 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishing Salmon on the Pere Marquette River Near Baldwin, MI October 9-11, 2007
I knew this would be my last outing targeting salmon so I tied up just enough olive wooly buggers and egg flies for one more trip. After a spotty season due to seemingly endless days of July weather in October I knew I would not be finding the mother lode of salmon. Still, the weather had cooled down into the thirties at night and, finally, rain was predicted. As it turned out the rain was welcome but not strong enough to spike the action into high gear. I was still excited to be driving through the Michigan scrub oaks feeling the softness of the sandy ground as the diesel growled along and me on the lookout for deer and turkeys.
It was getting twilight by the time I unloaded my firewood, started the propane hot water and refrigerator. I was surprised to find myself the sole camper and only two cars in the river access. I eagerly made the hike to my spot and landed four fish before hunger got the best of me. I was surprised by the number of dead fish strewn around, but also pleased to find so many fresh fish that had been recent runners. I liked beaching or tailing the fish and two gave me quite a shower. I made a quick trip to the camper and turned the lights on. I couldn't get the fire going fast enough because the steak had had planned for dinner- my new staple- was even more appealing. At about midnight the rain drove me back inside. I was pleased to hear rain coming in waves through the woods.
It's nice not having to go to a motel or eat out. Just crack open the beer, heat the potatoes in the fire and broil the steak
[image]
I read some good articles in the NYT's magazine that I had fallen behind on. Next morning I drank coffee and enjoyed running over by Gleason's Landing. The soft two tracks are easy on my my legs and you get a chance to sneak up on wildlife coming over the little rises in that area. I also brought my mountain bike but underestimated how short the days have become. Unbeknownst to me, Scott Smetana had emailed me that he would be in the area. Kary wrote back to him that I was already there. By chance we met up as I was starting out downriver from the steps. He had already haled in some brown trout but had his Spey rod in a case on his Hobie pontoon boat for some later salmon action. It rained as we we spoke. I found out Scott is a pilot and pasts as Ramjet. It was nice to meet him. Although I was there for the salmon I hooked a nice brown trout that must have gone five pounds. He jumped so quick on a downriver run I did not get a chance to practice "bowing to the king" and he spit the eztaz egg. The drag was also set to..... well, you know- too heavy.
A nice fish landed at night
[image]
Nice one
[image]
This little guy from the rapids put on a great fight and I had to walk in the current downstream to tail him with my landing glove
[image]
I followed my pleasant ritual on Thursday but planned to fish easy and really didn't do anything until two spots in the rapids got me excited. I landed three in an hour and was pleased with ending the season with some scrappy fish. I had a good salmon season. I never tried to put in big numbers and broke up the efforts to keep it exciting. Adding running and biking to the outings and taking time to camp made it pleasant. I don't think that will be an attainable Zen attitude during steelhead season where I want fish badly, the effort borders on the obsessive, and getting skunked is deep and personal.
Fishing Salmon on the Pere Marquette River Near Baldwin, MI October 2-4, 2007
My wife, Kary, and I spent two nights camping on the Pere Marquette River near the Claybanks access. There were new signs posted there limiting the numbers of cars at each site and it has already made a difference in the mindless "salmon camps" that had sprung up. The weather was perfect for what we mostly did- camp, burn firewood, read, run, hike, cook on the good oak coals and talk with our fellow anglers. Since we stayed up very late enjoying barefoot weather in October, I got out after six o'clock and was back by 10:30. I caught about five each night, Not much different than last week when I hauled in more but with a later effort.
I took the photo below last Wednesday night as the near full moon rose over the PM. Since I'm fishing alone it made the night seem friendlier than last Tuesday when, after dark, the humidity produced a soup like fog that even rendered by headlamp useless to see the river well.
Fish jumping and moonrise of the PM
[image]
Late night salmon during the fog
[image]
I like my new black cone headed WB with metallic olive estaz body that took this fish
[image]
The steak was perfect
[image]
Thanks to Mr. Richardson from Northville who took this picture
[image]
Next week should be better week for fishing because plenty of rain is predicted. Not that this week lacked anything. it was a pleasure to be out in the woods with my wife. Many camp sites were open this week so I'm predicting a big drop in angler pressure and great fishing for guys like me. I noticed a lot of people in town but not that many on the river.

Wally and Kary Herrala
2004 Superduty PSD
Lance 835
www.wallyherrala.com

realter

NW

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/07 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say is WOW.

gamingdad

Anchorage Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/07 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

color on them still looks pretty good considering it is late in the season

yankeeflyer

Leesburg

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/07 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhhh Wally,you've done it again!!Nice fish,love your stories!!

2004 Monaco Knight 34pdd Retired July 06 Follow our Rainbow Family and Travel

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/07 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Wally. I always enjoy reading your fishing trip posts. Great pictures, too. The fact that you enjoy all this with the company of your wife is great.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/07 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wally,
Since I to share this innate desire for fishing, the words that keep coming back to me is simply, Thank you!!! For taking me from here to there. I wish you tight lines and singing drags,and the good health to keep on, keeping on.

John H

dms

Walburg, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/07 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wally,

And here I sit, Saturday morning, in my office, taking a break from the grind to read RV.net posts. Envy, I believe, is the right word. Still, it's better to read about your adventure and have hope that someday will be my day. The truth is stranger than fishin'.

Best of luck to you and Kary.

- d

2008 GMC 3500 CC D/A DRW 4WD
2007 Wildcat 27BH
2007 Lance 835

uva uvam vivendo varia fit

FLSTFI Dave

East TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/07 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good pictures and story. I live the Salmon and Stealhead fishing in MI.

I usually head up once a year to go with My dad and Brother. I did not get to go in Sept like I usually do. I am looking at going up around the 20th of this month.

2006 GMC SLT 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4, Duramax/Allison, Loaded
2006 Bryant 219 open bow, 350 MAG MPI
1998 Holiday Rambler Alumilite Travel Trailer, 2 slides
2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/07 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a read, thanks for taking the time to post and write!!!!

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/07 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always a great pleasure, Wally. Keep 'um coming. You really should compile all you adventures into a (best selling) book.
Cal

Cal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping and Salmon Fishing in Michigan- PICS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.