|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Compartment Locks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gillguy

Valdosta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/07 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

DslTex wrote:

Most repair centers (wirh an RV store) have master keys you can buy, less than a dollar.

Ken I think what you are referring to isn't a master key, its just that most of the RV industry uses the same keyed lock for the compartments...

you may also be surprised to know how many doors your door key will work in to...

if I walk 150' in any direction, my front door key will open 1 camper and my back door key will open three more... on the one camper, my FD key opens the BD, and my BD key opens its front door...
obviously security isn't a priority in the industry

Just be careful of my pet snake. It's a Python.

Bobby (USAF Retired)
2007 Chevy 2500 LBZ Duramax C/C, S/B 4X4
2006 Rockwood 8317SS
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16

plusplus

Quebec City

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/07 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone visited a locksmith to change them. They are the most experience people for that job, and I supposed they may also make your keys a alike and for your TT also...

I'm just saying not doing, but will next TT season.

plusplus

From Quebec City
In a Jayco FeatherLight Sport 186
Dodge Dakota 2008 Ext Cab SXT

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/07 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gillguy wrote:

JJBIRISH wrote:

DslTex wrote:

Most repair centers (wirh an RV store) have master keys you can buy, less than a dollar.

Ken I think what you are referring to isn't a master key, its just that most of the RV industry uses the same keyed lock for the compartments...

you may also be surprised to know how many doors your door key will work in to...

if I walk 150' in any direction, my front door key will open 1 camper and my back door key will open three more... on the one camper, my FD key opens the BD, and my BD key opens its front door...
obviously security isn't a priority in the industry

Just be careful of my pet snake. It's a Python.

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon] my youngest son used to raise them and show them... he had a 14 footer (Boa) get loose in the house and couldn't find it... HOW can you loose something that size in a house and not be able to find it???[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]
about two weeks later it reappeared for dinner... it turns out it pocked a hole in the cloth on the bottom of the sofa and made itself at home inside the sofa...[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]
hes married now and no longer has them (not allowed to I suspect)...
he had a mature 15 foot lemonheaded reticulating python worth a ton of money... he also had a couple 5 foot American alligators, but they were nasty and he had to get rid of them... I thought they would make some nice boots, but he wouldn't hear of it...
after getting married, he settled for horses...

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mikhen

oley, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/07 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robbie69 wrote:

i put the combo locks on mine. didn't like the idea every one else in the CG had a key and got tired of looking for my keys every time i wanted inside. also now keep a set of TT and TV keys in one of my compartments just in case.

here

I never saw these before. Will put them on my list.

2005 Sunseeker 3100 QBS
camping Pa...The most FREE camping giveaways in Pa

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/07 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too installed the combo locks like Robbie - here's a picture... While no lock will stop a determined thief,at least these have a possible 999 combinations...

[image]

[image]

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Lt46

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/07 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=LAdams]I too installed the combo locks like Robbie - here's a picture... While no lock will stop a determined thief,at least these have a possible 999 combinations... Les, A couple of questions.... 1.Any particular reason for your combi-lock being installed in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal? Ease of install? Combi numbers easier to read? 2.Once the tumbler dials are set to open, I assume the knob turns. Have you seen any scratching of the hatch/door surface due to this turning action? TIA

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Peter & Dawn
97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW
F53/460 w/ tag axle
96 Prowler 27X SOLD
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

mgbogue1

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/07 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Discovered my "neighbor's" TT in the storage lot opened (both entry door and rear storage compartment sitting wide open). Closed the storage compartment and locked it no problem with my keys. Just for grins, decided to try to lock the entry door, also worked no problem. Why do we even bother locking them at all? [emoticon]

Mike & Susie
S-16
Cat who thinks he owns the place
2000 F250, 7.3L XC SB, Equal-i-zer, Prodigy
2008 Rockwood 8318SS

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/07 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=Lt46][quote=LAdams]I too installed the combo locks like Robbie - here's a picture... While no lock will stop a determined thief,at least these have a possible 999 combinations... Les, A couple of questions.... 1.Any particular reason for your combi-lock being installed in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal? Ease of install? Combi numbers easier to read? 2.Once the tumbler dials are set to open, I assume the knob turns. Have you seen any scratching of the hatch/door surface due to this turning action? TIA[/quote] if your second question is a concern to you you can install this with the lock. [url=http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalog/display.php?product_id=849]click here[/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

wrenchbender

Phx

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/07 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The latch without a key is just what I was looking for.Thanks

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/07 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lt46 wrote:

Les,
A couple of questions....
1.Any particular reason for your combi-lock being installed in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal? Ease of install? Combi numbers easier to read?
2.Once the tumbler dials are set to open, I assume the knob turns. Have you seen any scratching of the hatch/door surface due to this turning action?

TIA

Peter,

#1 answer - no - not really - just my preference as to how I wanted them installed... They are pretty versatile and you can install them either horizontally or vertically...

#2 answer - Correct - you can't turn the number assembly until the correct combination is dialed in... No scratching wahtsoever as there is a base under the the round number part that turns... You can also reset the numbers to any combination you want ( I guess that's pretty obvious or they would be the same as the 751 key} [emoticon]

Les

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Compartment Locks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.