|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend dry camping on the Maine coast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A most excellent, if cold, adventure this past long weekend. TC friends Cathie and Mikeeee T with Miss Della the Basset Hound from near Boston, MA and Toni and Ron from Cape Cod came up Friday night. We celebrated an early Thanksgiving and had a big dinner with a "bit" of wine and spirits. Fortunately our house power breakers and extension cords held for the two TCs in the yard and all slept warm in their own TC beds.

[image]

Next morning we had a yard full of TCs, two Lance and a Host. Packed up and hit the road. Stopped at a big craft show in Augusta, had lunch at a boat launch along the Kennebec River, and then stopped a bit in Bath, ME. Our destination was Recompence Campground at Wolfe's Neck Farm in Freeport, ME.

Even though the campground is officially closed, campers can stay at $25 a night with no facilities except a very cold outhouse. We lined up along the point of West Bay after driving through Wolfe's Neck Farm and being the center of attraction for herds of cattle who probably hadn't seen a TC convoy before.

[image]

We had two absolutely perfect days of camping. Days were in the high 30s, low 40s for temps, not a drop of rain, bright blue skies but a healthy wind that reminded you it was November, not July. Big flocks of seagulls and small flocks of geese and ducks were in front of the campsites all the time. Incredibly relaxing to sit by a fire and watch the tide come and go, gradually revealing the rock ledges and seaweed beds right at your feet.

[image]

We've got to thank Mike again for his help with learning how to properly use the Honda eu2000i generator. This was our first ever dry camp and it was occurring when the night temps were in the 20s. First night I just about froze because I didn't know that the furnace wouldn't drain the batteries overnight so was too conservative on setting the temperature. The extra insulation in the form of Dow Insulation board and space blanket under the bed helped some but there was still what felt like a draft between the mattress and cabinets. That space got stuffed with bath towels around 3AM! The other campers are snoozing away because they have their temps set higher and also have 12volt bed heaters. Guess what we are going to order?

[image]

Sunday we trucked over to LL Bean to see the new hunt/fish store and poke around a bit. Freeport can be a mob scene on a sunny holiday weekend so we didn't stay long. We did go down to Gritty McDuff's Pub and enjoyed pub food along with locally brewed Christmas Ale, some of which found its way back to the TCs. Maine is blessed with a lot of small micro breweries and this is one of the best.

[image]

We returned to Recompence for a much warmer evening. We are thoroughly enjoying the new Host Rainier especially for the floor space. Each evening we hosted (no pun intended) the meal, fitting six adults, a spare small table and extra chairs in for dinner. I'm still learning the convection/microwave unit so heating up food was a bit of a trick on my part.

Only downer so far is that we aren't able to run the generator with the propane furnace going and then start the convection oven. The oven draws 13 amps and will only run for 6-7 seconds and then kick off if the furnace is running. Pretty easy to just turn off the heat for a bit while dinner is cooking. Dometic refrigerator worked perfectly off of propane.

Good company well enjoyed, lots learned about the Host and dry camping. Both the other rigs had full water with hot water heaters going even though the Lances did not have heated basements. Here we are with a heated basement but no water other than Coleman water carriers. We'd already winterized and chose not to drain out the antifreeze, purify and re-antifreeze for a weekend. Worked well but with all we learned, next time we will not hesitate to use the camper in cold weather like it is designed for.

The Host is now unpacked, off the Ford and covered up with the ADCO cover. When we ordered the cover, it was for the 11'6" Lance. The Host is 9'6" so we've had to take a few tucks here and there. We'll watch it in high winds to see how it does.
[image] We'll keep the area around it snowblown this winter. Never know if we'll get an overwhelming urge to take off travelling but spring isn't that far away. Right???

Anne and Joe
http://otrafrommaine.blogspot.com

* This post was edited 11/13/07 11:18am by TwoMaineiacs *

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

rjweiss

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great to read about truck camper get togethers, I wish I was there.

Nice to see everyone enjoying themselves, sometimes those short weekend trips are the best, especially when you have a new camper!

My camper is cleaned up and ready to go again after our cross country trip, might just head down Edisto Beach State park for this weekend.

Ron W.

2003 Dodge 2500 SLT Auto HO Diesel CC SB
Keystone Cougar 245 RKS 5th Wheel
Rancho 9000
Firestone airbags
Quickair 2
Suzuki DRZ400SM
Suzuki DL650

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see you're enjoying the new camper. Can't imagine 6 people having dinner in our Northern Lite!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How great it tisssss". Been all around the area when I was stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station.....3 lovely years.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great trip. My parents have a place on Long Pond just east of Augusta (based in Foxboro - GO PATS!!). Every time I drive through there (usually once a year) at lunchtime I have to stop in at Damon's on Western Ave for a sub. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new Host. Dave.

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwoMaineiacs wrote:

A most excellent, if cold, adventure this past long weekend. Anne and Joe
On the Road Again

Would you two please move over here so we can start a group campout in my neck of the woods??? It looks like tons of fun!!!

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Envy, We should have been there with you but the AF is in the shop for delam repair. Maybe in the spring, New TC looks nice!
Ted

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

capterik

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being born and raised in southern Maine, and having a camp on the Lake in Norway, Maine, I am envious. This is the first year in 45 of them that I was unable to make it back. I always wait until the fall when the amount of people diminishes and unfortunately work cancelled it. All I can say is make sure to hit all of the great food locations as well as the Beer. And when you go to Beans its not too far away from the Delormes store. They have nice maps and navigation software. For food depending on where you go there is Moodies Diner, Flo's Hotdogs, RoadKill Cafe and so many more. Have a wicked good lobstah roll for me if you would. Nice pics!!!!

2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We missed you Farctic but the get together was so spur of the moment, didn't have time to see if anyone else was available. Recompence will always be YOUR campground. Didn't know you had a delam problem. Glad we did the weekend when we did as last night we had pouring rain and might even get snow on Thursday.

Forgot to mention that we did convoy down to DeLorme Map store. Always fun to show guests the world's largest revolving globe. I think all of us that RV love maps and seeing a whole store full is fascinating.

Lobster is currently $8.99 for one pound double claw. We don't eat a lot of lobster as a one pound lobster only has 3 oz of meat in it Nothing beats steak or pork cooked over a wood fire. Moody's in Waldoboro is one of those obligatory stops along Route One. Never been in the Road Kill Cafe up in Greenville right?

Anne

Mike Tassinari

Peabody Mass..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone...

Kuddos goes to Ann and Joe for showing Us their neck of the woods..And I do mean Woods---LOL---Gezz to have to drive 10/12 mins to get a cup a cup of Dunkin DD Coffee when I can walk down the street!!!You can guess correctly I am a city guy---LOL

I am really amazed at the amount of room in that Host...And its not even a 11&1/2 footer...With that Aux.30"x30" table in the center of the isle we could have easily fit 2 more persons...Ok OK Ann & Joe---You definitely have the dance floor....

Ann and Joe were real troopers dry camping out in the cold..If I could read their minds I bet they would have been just as happy to stay at their beautiful house and snuggle up around the fireplace...But Oll Mikee insisted "This is Fun"....

Thank you Ann and Joe for a great weekend,and remember to mark your calendar for "New Years" down on the Cape...That only 6/7 weeks away and you get to unwrapp that brandy new Host and use it again..

Mikee

2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weekend dry camping on the Maine coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.