|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Strange problem with oven

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Glenn the fifth

Silverdale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All, went camping a couple of weeks ago and had a strange problem with the oven. We were attempting to light the oven and could not get it lit. I knew the bottles were full, all the burners on top worked fine. I could not even hear or smell any gas coming out of the oven burner when I turned the knob. I lifted up the top to get a look at the valve area, nothing out of the ordinary there. I noticed that the incoming "main" gas line goes through the oven control valve on the way to the burner control valves. We have only used this oven maybe 5 times in the 6 months we have owned this camper. When turning the knob, it felt a little "rough" but that could have been my imagination looking for something wrong. We bought the camper new, so it is not an age issue. I know it is still under warranty, just thought I would check with the experts here to see if I might be missing something. I know the pilot on all these RV ovens is sometimes a little difficult to get lit, I even tried to turn on the whole burner (have done that in the past if I was having trouble with the pilot with no problems) and did not smell or hear gas. Even the furnace was working fine. Any ideas? -Glenn

Glenn (Retired US Navy Master Chief Submarines)
Wonderful wife and a great 7 year old son
2005 F-350SD-6.0 PSD w/Tow Command, K&N Air Intake
2006 36 foot Montana Mountaineer F/W

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Light all the burners on your stove top to purge the air. After flames settle down, turn off and then look under the burner bar (for lack of a better word) find the pilot lite and using a gas match, light the pilot. All should be OK.

charles weidman

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glenn, you shouldn't hear any gas coming out of the oven burner when you just turn the knob. The pilot lite has to be heat the thermocouple before the main burner valve will open. Depending on what you use to light the pilot it could take up to 45 seconds or so to get it hot enough.

Not to insult you but are you sure you had the burner knob to the "pilot" position and pushed in on the knob to light the pilot?

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

bailiffdeactivated

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some stoves require you to turn to pilot then push in on the knob while you lite the pilot. If the pilot will lite, it will have to burn long enough to heat the thermocouple that allows gas to enter the burner.

Glenn the fifth

Silverdale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the advice. I am sure I had the knob in the pilot position and was pushing in. I had the DW helping me out and double checking. This is my 3rd camper and have never really enjoyed lighting the ovens in these things. Will try again. -Glenn

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is a pain in the neck too, Contact magic chef or the manufacturer. When mine was acting up, I contacted the mfg and they sent a qualified technician to the house to fix it. They even sent replacement parts before hand.

pandcc3

TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glenn,
My oven is extremely finicky to light also. I've found by trial and error, that I have to really heat up the end of the pilot gas tube(where it curves up) with an "Aim a Flame" type lighter before turning on the gas. I let it get hot enough to actually glow. It takes some finesse, especially when you have to sit in the floor to see what you're doing.
A regular match does not usually have enough burn time to get it hot enough. I can usually get it to light the first attempt using this method. By the way, I had replaced all the valves without any change in the ability to light the oven easily. Try using a strong flame, hopefully this will work for you too.

Traveling Texans

College Station, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glenn, Pull the oven knob off and check to see if the back may have twisted on the metal stem that actually operates the assembly. We had a problem with our oven and found that it had twisted and was not in the correct position for the oven to light even though looking at the face of the knob it looked correct. Worth a check.

2012 F350, Diesel,CC,LWB, King Ranch
2012 Cross Roads Cruiser 330SS

wlstroud

Statesville, N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Magic Chef oven is/was also finickly to light. I discovered as Traveling Texans did that the knob to stem was off slightly. When pushing the knob in at the pilot position, it took a slight turn more to actually engage the valve to give the pilot enough gas to stay lit. Once the thermocouple gets hot, the pilot stays lit. Also, use a butane grill lighter to get the pilot and thermocouple started. I don't have enough hands and coordination to use matches for this task while sitting on the floor and holding knobs, etc. LOL. Larry.

Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/07 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the rig before this one, you could just turn the oven to the temp. you wanted and light it. It would then operate correctly and the pilot would remain lit. My present oven requires me to light the pilot first. I liked the way the old one worked better, but doesn't sound too safe. I was told at the PDI on the old trailer that this was the way to light it. On reflection I'm thinking that this was pretty bad.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Strange problem with oven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.