|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance skirt dry rot

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wsdepa

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/07 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wings on my lance do not contain any wood. They appear to be foam board sandwiched between plastic held together with an aluminum edging. Thie is the same construction as all of the hatches and the door. The compartment underneath containing the batteries and dump controls and shore power and the generator compartment on the other side is all plastic and aluminum. Maybe they have learned from their mistakes.

2006 F-350 S/C 6.0 DRW 4x4 3.73, 2005 Lance Max 981, most options. Camped 49 states and all Canadian Provences(cept Labrador). 100,000 miles and 500 plus nights of TCing.
http://truckntravels.blogspot.com/

hotvet67

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/07 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the same rot I had on my 2004 845 , not sealed at rear of the inside mld. by the factory both sides. If I had to charge for a repair like this it would be $1000.00 + parts per side , no dealer will take the time to do it right .

[image]

[image]

[image]

2004 Lance 845
2006 F350 PSD 4X4 SWB 20" Fact. Wheels
1967 corvette drag car

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/08 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same issue on the right side of our '94 990. The cause was a very small breach in the sealant at the very far, lower right corner just above the bumper. That and some inattention is all that is required. When you discover such a thing the first reaction is to tear it open and fix it so you probably won't be able to tell where it initiated itself since you have taken it all apart and destroyed the forensic evidence. I was able to detect my breach because it was at the rear away from where the damage manifested itself. In the end it wasn't really a big deal. I replaced the OBS with a 1x6 board cut to fit and used some epoxy repair stuff from Home Depot.

The only other problem I've ever had was the 1x2 strip at the bottom of the door. Same thing, water got in at the corner because the weather stripping had migrated upwards and created a small breach. That was a pretty easy fix as well.

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/07 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wasatch Lance wrote:

I am curious what you did in the repair phase to prevent a reoccurrence of the rotted skirts. Did you use different materials, caulks or trims?

I used Pro-flex RV sealant quite liberally. I did not replace the strip sealant that was originally used. There is no possibility of a water channel existing underneath the white trim piece. Furthermore, all the wood was sealed with the Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer just in case it ever does get wet.

The down side of using so much Pro-Flex is it is a real sticky PITA to work with. It gets all over everything. It can be cleaned up and made to look nice, but it is very labor intensive.

I was able to re-use all the hardware with the exception of the screws & staples. The problem had not progressed to the point where I needed to replace the aluminum siding. I did implement stainless steel screws. In place of the long staples, I used small nails.

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/07 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had some bad rot on one side of my old '91 camper in the same area. It was mostly just the very bottom piece of wood. I pumped in a bunch of polyurethane glue into all the screw holes and between the fiberglass and the bottom metal strip. I pushed in the screws that had no bite after coating all of them with the glue too. Its plenty strong now, but is nonstructural so who cares anyway. I sealed the snot out of it as well on both sides.

'97 C3500 4 door dually with big heavy camper The Camper My Ford EFI Tuning Website

97Ford97Lance

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/08 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 97 11'3" Squire, I think its the 9500. I too have rot in the same areas. Thanks for the information.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/08 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 8scs and I found rot on the bottom of both wings. I am waiting for a call from the dealer as it was still under warranty.

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/08 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post, thank for the update and taking the time to spell everything out.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/09 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link to F350mule's Lance dry rot problems.

gsbuick65

Southaven Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/09 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

found this old topic, just noticed I have the same problem, I also just found a soft spot above the front window about the size of a serving plate. how do you go about fixing this problem? is this a insurance claim deal?

mike
1988 Pace Arrow 28' sold
2002 Lance 1130 sold
2008 v-lite 30lrs sol
2014 Sunset trail reserve 30re
2005 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 CTD
Southaven Ms.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance skirt dry rot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.