|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold Fridge Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
FreshAir

Utah / Salome AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/07 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the 12 cu. ft 4 door Norcold Fridge have a feature that allows it to operate in cold temps. below 30F like the Dometics "LAC, low ambient feature" does? If it does, where is the control switch that activates it? Is it automatic? Asking for a friend and don't remember the model. It's in an 03/04 Dolphin, Norcold 12 cf 4 door.
Thank's, Pat

gmachine

Marion,IN & Chuluota,FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/07 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Service manual avail. here. Helped us a lot.
http://www.bryantrv.com/docs.html
Good Luck, Jim

Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

Amberbunny

newport news

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/07 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I never really thought much about possibility of a fridge not working in cold weather. Read about spoiling food in the midwest where the power is out. Then I thought to myself . . .hello, its cold outside. Move the food to the porch. Yes I know lettuce won't freeze all that well but most food will do just fine and hopefully it won't attract bears, which is possible. But I never realized a fridge wouldn't work if it were too cold outside. I guessed if it was 50 odd degrees in the RV all was fine. Learn something new everyday.

\Documents and Settings\stephen.kunich\Desktop

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norcolds (last 10 years) do not have that feature. But, that LAC is not meant just for cold weather operation. What it does, is, it leaves the interior lite on all the time and that heat from the bulb keeps items like lettuce and produce from icing or freezing up IF the interior gets to about 32 degrees. Obviously this happens in colder outside ambient temps, but the solution is to turn down the T stat. If you have an Auto T stat Dometic, then the LAC is used. Norcold does NOT build a Auto Tstat model and all the Norcolds have adjustable Tstats for RV's. The outside temp (less than 40 degrees) means that the refer does not have to overcome the problem of Hot ambient causing it to work harder, hence items will get colder easier and faster. Doug

FreshAir

Utah / Salome AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Norcold does NOT build a Auto Tstat model and all the Norcolds have adjustable Tstats for RV's. The outside temp (less than 40 degrees) means that the refer does not have to overcome the problem of Hot ambient causing it to work harder, hence items will get colder easier and faster. Doug

Doug, my friend with the Norcold said his fridge quit keeping items cold when the outside temps started really geting cold. Are you saying there is nothing he needs to do as the Norcold is fully automatic regardless of the outside ambient temps? If so, he may have a problem.

Thank's everyone.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, he has a problem. Outside ambient should have no affect on the cooling and operation of the refer. If he is on LP and he is having a LP regulator problem in low temps, then it would be affected on LP, but on 110, he should have no problem.Doug

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree, Doug. If it's very cold out, the lower portion of the refrigerator will maintain 35-40° without the cooling unit running, because on that model the only temperature sensing is in the fresh food compartment.
Because the cooling unit isn't running, the freezer temperature will rise.
About the only cure is to either run it very cold (which will cause the fresh food to freeze), or add heat to the lower compartment, which is what Dometic does on their models with the LAT switch.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

I disagree, Doug. If it's very cold out, the lower portion of the refrigerator will maintain 35-40° without the cooling unit running, because on that model the only temperature sensing is in the fresh food compartment.
Because the cooling unit isn't running, the freezer temperature will rise.
About the only cure is to either run it very cold (which will cause the fresh food to freeze), or add heat to the lower compartment, which is what Dometic does on their models with the LAT switch.

Well Chris, HOW cold does it have to be???? I doubt you could continue in sub 0 to 20 degree weather without the RV freezing up regardless of precautions. BUT, I HAVE used motorhomes in Colorado and New Mexico in 10 to 20 degree weather (Ski trips) and a LOT of my customers do also and I have never had a complaint of the freezer not cooling and the refer getting too cold even in my RV. WHY would the refer maintain a colder temp in VERY cold weather, but the freezer would not??? The box is insulated and the contents are not really affected by the outside temp. Please list your reasons for your answer. Doug

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree that the box is not affected by the outside temperature- even though it is insulated. The insulation in these boxes is far from perfect. There are a bunch of variables here- added insulation around the box, location of heating vents, etc.
I explained the why in the post above- this is a fairly common occurrence- I've heard of it often, which is why Dometic put the LAT switch in on their high end models (not the auto temp models, but the fully adjustable ones, the 3X series and NDR series).
We used to block off the outside vent in very cold weather to keep from freezing the fresh food while keeping the freezer at zero.

I really don't want to get in to a p*****g match here, I just want to point out that it does happen, and from my experience, the unit is not bad, and will work fine once the weather warms up.

* This post was edited 12/13/07 03:53pm by Chris Bryant *

Troubleshooter

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/07 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I won't try to go into the theory of why it happens, I personally know of a case where it has happened.
While moving from one abode to another, we put our freezer full of food in a unheated outside storage shed. Winter set in, and I didn't give it a second thought about the cold weather. About a week or so later the DW wanted me to get something out of the freezer, and when I opened it, you don't want to know what odors I was hit with. The temperature of the shed was about 10°F, whereas the internal temperature of the freezer was about 45°F.
Yes, it was plugged in, and there had been no power failure.
A lot of spoiled food disposed of, along with a freezer that we could never get the odor removed.
On our RV refer, when we are using it in sub-freezing weather, I always put a 40 watt bulb in the rear compartment, and partially block the air intake in order to insure that the refrigerant is circulated through the system.

Only One Old Fellow's Opinion

Bill
2002 Discovery 3126E CAT
2004 Saturn VUE
Mountain Master Tow Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold Fridge Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS