|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold Fridge Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Good Samaritan

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/07 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOU are right and kind of wrong The service manual DOES state that when you go into BOM, it is a "Ajustable" cooling cycle. BUT, it does NOT explain what and how this is done. Norcold tech service explained that the adjustable is determined by the 1-9 temp setting like you described. According to Norcold, each number is the time it stays on. IE- set on 4, then it will run 40 minutes, set on 7 it will run 70 minutes and so on. I did not ask the shut off wait time before it comes back on. Do you know that time? But, do you think this will even work in temps below 20 degrees, since when the unit is NOT on, will the outside temp cause a problem with the coolant mixture? Doug

Doug,
The back up operating mode works like this:I have verified this operation on my Norcold refrigerator in my trailer.Ok, some days are more boring than others!

The BOM is activated anytime the refrigerator control senses the thermistor as electrically open or shorted. The BOM operation is dictated by the temperature setting. For the model refrigerator we are talking about,there are 9 temperature settings. Norcold set up the BOM on a 1 hour time period. So,doing the math one can calculate the duty cycle on and off times.

Temp.set on 9: 60*.10 60 = 100% (on all the time)
Temp.set on 8: 60*.9 54 = 90% (on 54min.off 6min.)
Temp.set on 7: 60*.8 48 = 80% (on 48min.off 12min.)
Temp.set on 6: 60*.7 42 = 70% (on 42min.off 18min.)
Temp.set on 5: 60*.6 36 = 60% (on 36min.off 24min.)
Temp.set on 4: 60*.5 30 = 50% (on 30min.off 30min.)
Temp.set on 3: 60*.4 24 = 40% (on 24min.off 36min.)
Temp.set on 2: 60*.3 18 = 30% (on 18min.off 42min.)
Temp.set on 1: 60*.2 12 = 20% (on 12min.off 48min.)
If you get bored, try this and you will see it is fairly accurate.

Now, the reason I suggested the thermistor be unplugged:

Going with the assumption the cooling unit is working ok to start with and then falls on its face as the temperatures drop lower and lower - my experience tells me that the off time (that is when the burner is off or the AC heater is off)is typically when the cooling units amonia solution can begin to freeze (water in the amonia solution freezes).

If the thermistor is unplugged, the heat output to the cooling unit will be on according to the duty cycle. With the temperature setting set to 9 the heat source will be on all the time. This heat source should retard the possiblity of the cooling unit to freeze.Notice I said retard not eliminate.All I am trying to say is by allowing heat to be present at the cooling unit 100% of the time the likelyhood of it freezing up would be lessoned as this is what I suspect has caused the refrigerator to quit cooling in the first place. Again, gas absorption refrigerators don't like heat and they don't like cold. If they get too hot they quit working. If they get too cold they quit working.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/07 01:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just read this thread entirely because it gets into exactly what just happened to me in the last 24 hours with my rig sitting outside in the driveway!!

It's a 2 year old rig and the Norcold gas absorption refer normally works just fine. Over the holidays we were trying to use it's freezer compartment for extra capacity because of our entertaining, but with no one staying in the rig so we were keeping the interior just barely warmed with an electric heater on a very low setting, Outside temps were sitting in the 30-40 degree range.

I really think Chris Bryant nailed what is going on above ... " If it's very cold out, the lower portion of the refrigerator will maintain 35-40° without the cooling unit running, because on that model the only temperature sensing is in the fresh food compartment. Because the cooling unit isn't running, the freezer temperature will rise."

He describes EXACTLY our situation. My gut tells me it has less to do with what the outside temp may be and a way lot more to do with how warm it is inside your coach. That's why folks say they have no problem camping in the winter with low outside temps when using their gas absorption refers - their INSIDE temps most likely are not anywhere near as low as 35-40 degrees while they are living inside.

This morning I went out and the freezer and refrigurator are both sitting at around 38 degrees! Not good for the overflow stuff we had in the freezer. I turned it up to a higher cold setting to drive the freezer down below freezing but this then moved the refrigerator section below freezing too.

Neither the Winnebago or Norcold manuals said anything about this situation. It seems like they could at least clue you in about not operating the refrig while your rig is perhaps too cold inside during storage.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold Fridge Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.