RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: TT or 5er??? Pros and Cons???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT or 5er??? Pros and Cons???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JCWWBT

Fayetteville, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/07 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of your wonderful help my husband and I have decided to go with the tt or 5er route... now for your opinions on pros and cons here.
we went to Sagon RV today to look at some options and found a very impressive tt.
http://www.sagonrv.com/new-rv-for-sale.aspx?typeid=4&makeid=1704
The boys absolutely loved the ladder to the bunk area.

So what are your pros and cons. Have you had both?? We will have to get something to pull either way. Dh is talking passenger van....we will see. It would be nice for each of the kids to have their own row.
What would your recommend pulling a tt with? Which is the best truck for a fifth wheel?

What company is the best quality? Are tt really that much harder to tow than fifth wheels? How is set up? What about a week with no hookups? Is that possible in either?
Feel free to give us any and all that you have to offer. Ya'll have already been so helpful!!!
Thanks!!!!

2010 Passport 290BH
2005 Chevy Suburban 5.3L V8, 3.73 ratio
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer sway control hitch
Jason
Charlotte
Warren 6
Wyatt 5
Bailey 2
">

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/07 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few companies make top quality trailers. Many companies make poor quality trailers. A few companies make truly junky trailers. You may get what you pay for if the cost is in quality instead of glitz.

No, the tt is not harder to tow than a 5er. The 5er is inherently more stable, but a tt is equally stable if used with either a Pullrite or Hensley hitch. The 5er puts about twice the weight on the truck, so more truck is needed just for that reason. Because the 5er is taller than a tt, it'll cause the tow vehicle to consume more fuel to fight that windage.

Set up with either is not a deal breaker. The week with no hookups is tough. A generator will keep the battery charged, but you'll run out of water and waste tank capacity unless you're very frugal with both.

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/07 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't had a 5er yet, but have looked at a lot of them. We have a smaller trailer at present. 5th wheels have the advantage of the hitch being about at the driver's eye level, as well as the pivot point being over the truck's back axle, which gives the rig a better turning radius than a TT will. 5ers have the edge in room too, especially storage, and in a more homelike feel, IMO, but they require a big honkin' truck to pull them; a "1/2 ton" just will not do. Because of pin weight, which is much heavier than tongue weight of trailers, any pickup chosen to pull a 5th wheel needs to have a large payload capacity, and virtually no 1/2 tons (i.e. Ford F150, Chevy 1500, Toyota Tundra, etc.) will fit the bill. And of course, as you know, a van or SUV will definitely not! Depending on the size of the trailer, though, you may still need a larger truck as well.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/07 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCWWBT wrote:

Dh is talking passenger van....we will see. It would be nice for each of the kids to have their own row.
What would your recommend pulling a tt with? Thanks!!!!

Lots of questions and lots to think about... it can get confusing.

The trailer you are looking at (if I am reading the specs. correctly) is 33 ft. long and almost 10,000 lbs GVWR. It also has a dry hitch weight of over 1,100 lbs.

This is a fairly large trailer and it will require a full sized truck to adequately tow it... especially with the weight of your family and some gear loaded in the truck.

My opinion is that you are looking at least at a 3/4 ton truck with either a diesel or big block V8 gas motor.

There may be some vans that could handle a rig like this (E350) but I am not well enough versed on them to give you solid advice.

Good luck. You are doing the right thing by doing lots of research.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/07 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No 5er for us, WAY too many stairs.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/07 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are very close (days) from upgrading from an HTT to a TT, We looked at a couple of VERY nice 5'rs, but DW has a bad knee and the stairs to the bedroom area were difficult for her. Additionally, we like to carry a couple of 'yaks for when we can use them. The 5'er eliminates any simple way of carrying the 'yaks, a canoe, a small rowboat, or anything else that you would put on the TV roof.

This is the primary reason that we are going to a TT rather than the 5'er.

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel with Automated Safety Hitch
2016 Jayco 377RLBH
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

Jsanner

Havelock, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/07 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BT Cruiser is the way to go - no hook-ups and you can use it while driving!

2008 5291 BT Cruiser

HarryWM

Wherever we are parked this time.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/07 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the fact that the 5er/truck combination is some 6 ft shorter than truck and TT of the same length. The point made above about stairs in the 5er is very valid also and certainly favors the TT

Harry
With wife Carole 13 yrs fulltiming
Retired U.S. Army
2002 Carriage LS 37' 5er; 2006 Lance 1181truck camper
2008 F-450 King Ranch 4x4 fully loaded 5,000 lb air springs
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
SKP # 54751
Geocacher "DosTortugas"
Harry & Carole's BLOG

windriderjr

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/07 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you decide on, be sure to properly match the TV to the RV. I made the mistake of believing the dealer and have the very poor combination in my signature until I pick up my new monster truck (Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax Diesel, Allison Tranny).

I've seen a few vans pulling TTs but they are not really designed for towing. Look at 3/4 ton pickups, that way you can tow either a TT or 5er.

DW and I in our Gulfstream Amerilite 21MB
Chevy Silverado 2500 HD - Duramax Diesel 6.6L - Allison Tranny

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area." - Major Mike Shearer - British Army - Basra, Iraq

forty4san

Full Time, Some Place

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/07 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own the truck to pull either a 5er or a TT .. we opted for a TT .. our McKenzie Starwood has enough headroom that my husband, who is 6'4" wearing his cowboy hat still has plenty of headroom. We have a Hensley and a single floorplan .. My knees could never hold up to the up and down required. Remember every time you have to go potty you have to go up and down the stairs, unless of course your in bed.

A 5er has a ton of space and it takes longer to heat and cool all that space.

Susan I
2008 McKenzie Starwood 32 FKD TT
Hensley & Prodigy Brake Controller
03 Dodge 3500 Quad HO Diesel DRW 4:10 ">
Fulltiming, On the road somewhere. ">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT or 5er??? Pros and Cons???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS