|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Little All-Around Cleaner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/02 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this stuff contains bleach you want to keep it away from more than just the EPDM rubber roof. Keep it away from all rubber, vinyl, and many plastics. Bleach can rot all these and can void warranties on them. Bleach is a great cleaner by itself and quite cheap, but it also harms many things so be careful using it and flush or rinse it with plenty of fresh water.

*This Message was edited on 15-Apr-02 09:30 AM by richmondmj*

Mike
2001 Lazy Daze 26.5MB

LMickey

NorthEast Texas, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/02 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best cleaner to get the rust-colored stains left from the oak tree pollen(?)? I have tried everything but a fiberglass cleaner/polisher.(I haven't gone to the store yet). I had cleaned off the fiberglass roof of my RV several weeks ago of the black residue fallout from air pollution. (I am mostly down-wind from the DFW area). We had a storm this past weekend that knocked the oak pollen off the trees and onto the top of my MH. I guess waiting a day to get up there and wash it off was too long. I need something to easily get it off.

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/02 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if it'll work on that but I used Finish First polish on my kitchen counter in my motorhome were there was a blue stain from some kind of dye. It took the stain out and the polish is the best thing I've ever used to polish or wax anything. Give Liqui-Tech a call or send an email from their website to see what they say. They have a few cleaners that work great also and don't contain anything harmful to any surfaces.

http://www.liqui-tech.com
Phone# 1-800-637-4527

You can buy it there or at many places including:
http://www.finishfirstpolish.com

Nothing will stick to the surface well after you use this polish. Tree sap including pine, bugs, tar, road film, your pollution problem, etc will normally just wash off leaving the finish still slick and shiney. I've never used a polish that I liked until I tried this stuff! Can't thank my friend enoough.

cchetlan

Crestline,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,
Re:finish first.
Did you use their precleaner
Did you remove your previous polish first
Is it really better than a polish like Meguires or finish 2000?(isnt a polymer product pretty much the same?)
Does it protect against UV?
Finally,can you use other polish over or under it.
Guess what Im trying to say is what was your procedure in using it?
I know a lot of questions but please elaborate,trying to see if its worth the trouble to remove all the polish ive put on so far,about 6 coats on my new car.
Thanks Mike,
Carl

*This Message was edited on 16-Apr-02 06:11 AM by cchetlan*

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carl,
Answers to your questions Re:finish first.
Did you use their precleaner?
Yes I used it, but only on some tough stains or spots. I had a year old pinesap spot on the stripping of my Lazy Daze that was completely hard and yellow. I didn't want to use a solvent based product fearing it would weaken the adhesive backing since like pinstripes on cars it's basically tape. Polishing compound would have harmed it also so I didn't want to use it and because the stripes are gold/bronze colored it really blended in and was only visible close up if you knew where it was. It took it off with only light rubbing for a few minutes. I also had a smearing of sealant, again only I knew it was there, that I had tried solvents on to no avail. It got that off also with much less rubbing. They pre-cleaner is just full strength polish so you only need it on tough spots or very oxidized surfaces. There were a couple other similar tough stains or imperfections that it work on where other products failed.

Did you remove your previous polish first?
NO

Is it really better than a polish like Meguires or finish 2000?
Yes

(isnt a polymer product pretty much the same?)
No, they are all different. There are thousands of types of polymers and many don't bond with paint or other surfaces, they just lay on the surface.
Does it protect against UV?
Yes.
Finally,can you use other polish over or under it?
I doubt you'll want to use anything over it once you try it! It can be used over other waxes or polishes, it will clean them off also.

It also did take the swirl marks out of the fake cabover windows on my LD. They look like front windows but are only raised areas painted black to give the look of real windows. LD feels otherwise it looks like a truck not a motorhome and front cabover windows on Class Cs will always end up leaking at some point so they discontinued using them. They have a lifetime warranty on the frame of the coach to the original owner and don't want problems like that.

I bought a detailing kit from them just before Christmas on a "special" that included free shipping. It had everything in the 9 piece kit plus a bucket, chamois, wash mitt, terry covered sponge applicator, and 100% lint free cotton cloth for the price of the 7 piece kit now. Even at the current 9 piece kit price it's cheaper than a comparable kit from Meguiars.

Hope that sufficiently answers your questions.

SledDriver

Kenosha, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is to EDucator, and all, about the contents of GVAPC: I read through the label before coming to work today, and saw no mention of bleach. When I get home this evening, I will post the entire text of both labels (front and back).

I will say that I have never smelled bleach in any GVAPC that I've used, nor have I ever seen it damage any fabrics or carpeting that any overspray may have gotten on...although this doesn't, in itself, mean that there's no bleach present.

Like I said, I'll post the label's text a little later, and let it speak for itself.

Tom & Sherry
Kenosha, WI
2002 Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS
3 Sons
1 Yellow Lab

cchetlan

Crestline,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,
Im going to give it a shot.The part i like is the tree sap removal,we are covered with pines and that is TOUGH stuff to remove.Didnt know about the LD windows,they sure make a quality rig,hardly ever see a used one for sale.
Many thanks for reply,
Carl

DaveR

The dynasties. UK Wildcats and NYC Yankees

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad news on the Wal Mart cleaner - per the manager here.

1. Bleach was added so the product would compete with the Clorox line of cleaners.

2. It should NOT be used where it will come in contact with rubber moldings, etc.

3. It is no longer available (at least here) without bleach - something he regrets, as it was apparently being used on boats, RVs, etc., in its pre-bleach configuration.

Dave

SledDriver

Kenosha, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here's the text from the label on the bottles I had:

Front: Great Value...All Purpose Cleaner...cuts grease...contains no phosphate...contains biodegradable active ingredients...Caution: keep out of reach of children...see back panel for additional precautionary statements

Back: Cleans...deodorizes...when used as directed, this product will clean and deodorize surfaces behind and under sinks and counters, garbage cans and garbage storage areas. It may be used in washable hard non-porous surfaces including countertops, tables, chairs, washable walls, tiles, and porcelain...general cleaning: spray soiled area then wipe clean, repeat for heavily soiled areas...to deodorize: pre-clean first; spray until thoroughly wet; let stand 10 minutes then wipe...caution: causes eye and skin irritation; do not get in eyes, on skin, or clothing; wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling...first aid: for eye contact, flush eyes with water for 15 minutes; if irritation occurs, contact physician immediately...storage and disposal: store only in tightly closed, original container in a secure area inaccessible to children and away from food or feed; do not reuse empty container; rinse thoroughly before discarding in trash...marketed by Wal*Mart stores inc.; bentonville, AR, 72716...(c) 1999...made in U.S.A.

Well, as you can see by the copyright date, I have the "old" formula. I'll admit to not buying it in a while, and had no knowledge of any formula change. If the previous post is correct, and I believe it is, then I RETRACT MY RECOMMENDATION OF THIS CLEANER FOR GENERAL STREAK REMOVAL, and apologize to those who bought some for that purpose.

EDucator

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/02 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that settles it then. I'll just give my new bottle to someone I haven't got along with for a long time and use it to rekindle a friendship!!!!!![emoticon]

ED

I'm the lucky one; my wife is the one who married the idiot!! ">

2002 Ram 2500HD Quadcab 4x4 - 8L V-10 - Fisher MM plow - Tekonsha Prodigy
2001 28' Hornet Reese Dual Cam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Little All-Around Cleaner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.