RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The Gulf Coast: Where to Catch Live Blues in MS, AL & LA?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> The Gulf Coast: Where to Catch Live Blues in MS, AL & LA?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LiveWorkDream.com

Fulltimers

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/08 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a few weeks we'll be heading from Florida to Texas, via the Gulf Coast route. We'll take 2 weeks to get there, taking some backroads and doing some Interstate travel too.

Along the way I'd love to see some live blues shows and eat some real cajun and southern food. Does anyone know of some great places to eat and check out live music along the way?

Thanks so much!

rscraig

Denton, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/08 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are so many, but no trip to the cajun country is complete without a trip to Mulate's Restaurant in Breaux Bridge. Great food and there is live music and dancing almost every night. Just Google it. They also have a restaurant in New Orleans but it is way too touristy. [emoticon]

Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

ccxnola

Wherever the rig is - I'm there too!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/08 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rscraig KNOWS what is good!!! Oh, and while you are in the area, be sure to visit Avery Island - Home of TABASCO!! Great tours available.

1997 Rexhall Rolls Air-mid-entry DP w/cummins c8.3
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!! Best view of our rig-That's ME!
Going Away!!

Bruce3404

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/08 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would disagree with the food quality at Mulate's (check out the Chowhound reviews if you'd like), but the atmosphere is great and they occasionally bring in some name bands. As far as blues goes, New Orleans will be your best bet (www.pollstar.com); try the listings for Tipitina's, Rock 'n Bowl, House of Blues and there are many little clubs with local artists of great talent. I'm afraid the blues scenes of MS and AL are rooted in the past, but who knows which club might have an up and coming star to be? Not sure what your budget is for food. Just had the best meal of my life at Stella! in NO, but it also cost $180 and we were scrimping to bring it in that low. For more moderately priced food, I'd highly recommend Prejean's in Lafayette, Central Grocery in the French Quarter for a muffaletta in NO and you could also hit Mother's on Poydras for a great Po Boy. Another great Po Boy stop is Old Tyme Grocery in Lafayette and the best boudin in the state can be had at Best Stop Grocery in Scott, LA (it's only a couple miles N of I-10). Poche's in Breaux Bridge is also very popular for Cajun. I think you'll find your food dollar will go a lot further in Acadiana than it will in NO. As far as backroads go, do try to take Hwy 82 from Cajun Country to Port Arthur, TX....a fantastic drive and soooo far away from the truck madness of I-10; when you get to Port Arthur, you can take in the Janis Joplin exhibits at the Gulf Coast museum and they also have a little self-guided driving tour past some of Janis' old schools and houses. PM me if you'd like more info as I spend a lot of time down there and just left NO two days ago for my current location in FL.

Crodad

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/08 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce3404 wrote:

I would disagree with the food quality at Mulate's (check out the Chowhound reviews if you'd like), but the atmosphere is great and they occasionally bring in some name bands. As far as blues goes, New Orleans will be your best bet (www.pollstar.com); try the listings for Tipitina's, Rock 'n Bowl, House of Blues and there are many little clubs with local artists of great talent. I'm afraid the blues scenes of MS and AL are rooted in the past, but who knows which club might have an up and coming star to be? Not sure what your budget is for food. Just had the best meal of my life at Stella! in NO, but it also cost $180 and we were scrimping to bring it in that low. For more moderately priced food, I'd highly recommend Prejean's in Lafayette, Central Grocery in the French Quarter for a muffaletta in NO and you could also hit Mother's on Poydras for a great Po Boy. Another great Po Boy stop is Old Tyme Grocery in Lafayette and the best boudin in the state can be had at Best Stop Grocery in Scott, LA (it's only a couple miles N of I-10). Poche's in Breaux Bridge is also very popular for Cajun. I think you'll find your food dollar will go a lot further in Acadiana than it will in NO. As far as backroads go, do try to take Hwy 82 from Cajun Country to Port Arthur, TX....a fantastic drive and soooo far away from the truck madness of I-10; when you get to Port Arthur, you can take in the Janis Joplin exhibits at the Gulf Coast museum and they also have a little self-guided driving tour past some of Janis' old schools and houses. PM me if you'd like more info as I spend a lot of time down there and just left NO two days ago for my current location in FL.

I have lived my whole life in Lafayette(50 years) and you have it exactly right. I am amazed that someone from Oregon knows about Poche Bridge and the Ole Tyme Grocery.

2008 F-250 PSD 4x2 Lariat
2016 Silverback 31RK

Bruce3404

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/08 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hehehe...well, the world is a small place now with food forums and forums such as this one. You've got such great food in the Lafayette area and I ask a lot of questions and talk to as many people as I can to find the best places. It doesn't hurt that I've been down there a dozen times over the past 20 years. But while the food itself certainly justifies coming back again and again, it's the great people of Cajun country that I really enjoy most. You're living in paradise!

saltriver

phoenix, az.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/08 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd take Prejeans over Mulate's any day. I made a special side trip last march to eat at Mulate's and was disappointed, although I am still trying to figure out how that building survived the last 3 hurricanes to hit the area.

Bob & Sue (Driverman & SignLady)
2004 Allegro Bay 34xb
2008 Jeep Liberty

Crodad

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/08 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saltriver wrote:

although I am still trying to figure out how that building survived the last 3 hurricanes to hit the area.

Actually we missed Katrina and Rita, We were right in between their paths. We hardly had any wind for Katrina and about 30 mph winds for Rita. We were very very lucky.

I will also say that the good Cajun restaurants are getting harder and harder to find. National chains that used to not survive in this area are now starting to take over the restaurant business here.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/08 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce3404 is right about the boudin and Mulate's food. Exit 97-about 2 miles north of I-10. Do not confuse it with Don's on the south side at the same exit. I stop about every 6 weeks when going to Orange. I haven't been to N.O. since Katrina but Preservation Hall used to be a good spot for blues. I-10 between Iowa, La. and Lake Charles is under construction and the existing road has continued to degrade and is really bad. If you get to Pt. Arthur, it is also the home town of Jimmy Johnson, former coach of the Dallas Cowboys, be sure to go to Orange. It is only 20 miles. The Presbyterian church is the first commercially air conditioned building in the U.S. and home of the Stark Museum. It contains one of the largest collection of Indian artifacts and Remington bronze in the country. It also has the only set of Steubenville crystal representing the 50 states. Quite impressive and there is no charge for entry. Web site is "Stark Museum.org"

* This post was edited 01/20/08 09:14pm by Charlie D. *

LiveWorkDream.com

Fulltimers

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/08 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful suggestions, thank you so much. I'm notating them on our Google Map. Keep 'em coming!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> The Gulf Coast: Where to Catch Live Blues in MS, AL & LA?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS