Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Propane tank safety

Posted By: jfdemars on 01/20/08 07:23pm

Does anyone know of a regulation that prohibits mounting a propane tank on the rear bumper of an RV

Posted By: RVSnowbird on 01/20/08 07:26pm

moved from Forum Technical Support to the Tech Issues forum

Welcome to the RV.net Open Roads Forums jfdemars. Please check your Private Messages for important information you need to know including an explanation of this move.

RVSnowbird

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 01/20/08 07:43pm

"Containers located on the rear of a vehicle must be securely fastened and protected by substantial bumpers. The vehicle's minimum normal road clearance under maximum load conditions must never be compromised by the location of a propane container."

"Propane gas containers should not be mounted on the roof or front of a vehicle."

Go check out the DOT website..it gets confusing...look at this too! HERE

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

Posted By: Polishnurse on 01/20/08 07:50pm

I have tried to locate Pamplet #58 that governs the instalation of DOT approved containers but couldn't find anything about your question. I would assume that it might be considered dangerous by most. Seeing that if a vechical runs into the but end of you RV. I would imagine it would be pretty close to a few sticks of TNT. Mounted on the A-frame, there is alot less likly hood of explosion, with the increased crash room. This is just my opion. You should consult a gas service like Subran, or contact proper authority before doing what you are sugguesting. I know I wouldn't want you driving down the road in front of me, at least not with-in a quarter of mile or so. Good luck and happy camping. Bill

Posted By: bananadanna on 01/20/08 08:44pm

I tore some hair out trying to figure out how to carry it per code. Besides the prohibition on a rear bumper it is also illegal to carry it on your roof.

I do carry a 20lb bbq tank inside my van in a propane locker. Plumbers need such a product and sailors often custom build such a box. You need a gasketed door, floor vent and top vent.

Works great for me since most of my cooking is outdoors and I have a diesel furnace for heat. I am a city boy, too, and leave the bbq tank in the back yard so I can use the local tunnels.

It's pretty cool to have the steel cabinet since a safe can come in handy at the trailhead.

Dan
02 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 long tall home brew conversion

Posted By: wa8yxm on 01/20/08 08:35pm

Thank you for asking that question.. I was (Till about a minute ago) considering such a mount.. I'll mount it differently. Don't know just how yet but it will be differently

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: rv2go on 01/20/08 09:16pm

Just a question. How is carrying a propane tank securely fastened to the rear bumper any different that the two 5 gallon gas cans that you see on all the Jeeps and other vehicles running up and down the hiways? Then too, here in the desert you see all these atv's on trailers, trucks etc. going down the hiway with all these red plastic gas cans just sitting there unsecured. Surely, this is not as safe as a securely fastened tank on a rear bumper

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Posted By: gunny357 on 01/21/08 05:43am

Polishnurse wrote:

You should consult a gas service like Subran, or contact proper authority before doing what you are sugguesting. Bill

Past experience for me indicates that Suburban is the last place to go for advice concerning propane. They might sell a lot of it but as far as being experts, NOT!

Consult with DOT and get it right the first time.

Posted By: HubMonkey on 01/21/08 09:12am

rv2go wrote:

Just a question. How is carrying a propane tank securely fastened to the rear bumper any different that the two 5 gallon gas cans that you see on all the Jeeps and other vehicles running up and down the hiways? Then too, here in the desert you see all these atv's on trailers, trucks etc. going down the hiway with all these red plastic gas cans just sitting there unsecured. Surely, this is not as safe as a securely fastened tank on a rear bumper

Gasoline is not under pressure like LPG is. An LPG bottle is a bomb.

Hub

Roosting The Dunes Not Your Mothers ATV Site

Posted By: JFG on 01/21/08 09:28am

The regulation resulted when a family of five died in their mh as a result of a rear end collision. the propane tanks mounted on the back of the coach exploded and all five were consumed in the fire.

Fred

Posted By: Michael Fisher on 01/21/08 10:23am

Igition for propane gas is above 900 degrees; gasoline will ignite at 450 degrees. PL gas very quickly disipates into the air; gasoline fumes will build and linger- making it potentially a more explosive than propane gas.
As far as are there any prohibitions/restrictions on mounting propane tank on rear of a vehicle or RV, I'v search through DOT, TSB, as well as NFPA(National Fire Prevention Association) and can find that the only restriction would be that any cylinder containing 100 lb or more is to be changed from the standard valve to a mulit-port valve( I think that is what is on the horizontal tanks in motorhomes, etc, but not for sure). The only place I can find where any real regulations/restrictions apply is when you get into things like the roofilng company trucks that carry propane tanks used for roofing torch-down appications. On those vehicle usages, there is not to be any re-filled tanks transported. There is potential for gases(from leakage due to corrosion mainly) to come into contact with the hot tar materials. The only other wording applicable to mounting a tank onto the back of an Rv(as far as I'm able to find) is that it is to be securely attached. As to whether is would be safe, I would agree that any gas container would be far more dangerous. I've seen quitea number of camper-vans mdified with propane racks on the back bumper area.

Posted By: MELM on 01/21/08 08:11pm

Many NFPA documents are now available for reading on their website. Two that apply to this discussion:

NFPA 58 National Gas Code.

NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles.

You need to read and follow the instructions for accessing the documents, and they are available for reading - you can't save them to your computer. When you get the document open, you can open the index for it using the right most icon at the bottom of the page.

The second has some very specific information on mounting of lp cylinders and tanks on RV's.

Mel

Posted By: rv2go on 01/21/08 09:55pm

Thanks for this info Mel.

I did a quick read and found this.
NFPA standards, 2005 edition.
Line 5.2.3.4...Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.

Print  |  Close