|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter sure drags on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/08 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there some reason not to take the camper out? I mean, I grew up in Indiana and I know all about grey skies for 4 months....but it didn't keep me from getting out there.

We just bought our camper in Connecticutt (about January 18th or so) and rather than try to high-tail it back home, we did our best to take advantage of being in the east and seeing some of the beauty some of you seem to be taking for granted.

We headed west into Pennsylvania, then south along the Mountains. Managed to see two national parks that I had never been to. Had some really cold weather; single digits or teens on most of the nights. Pulled into a pay RV park and since no-one ever showed up to collect our money we had to stash it in the electrical box and leave a message on their voice mail. We joked about waking up in a John Denver song (along the Shanandoah River with the Blue Ridge Mountains above us.

I hope a few pictures will spruce up this conversation.

Camping on the Shanandoah River
[image]
[image]

This area was really really nice. being winter, we had the Park to oursleves it seemed.

Shanandoah National Park
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Smokey Mountains National Park
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

My advice on curing the winter blues: get out there and enjoy it!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled blues program.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/08 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ironworker025- just went through your blog and all the photos. What a great trip and if we ever pass on the road, I'd like to know more how you made that map and about your blog. And I thought our 12,000 mile trip was something! Be safe down there and keep the blog going I have it bookmarked!

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I started this "blues" thread, not really what I intended.
Btxgraphix; great rig and wonderful place to be any time of year.
Lately a southern Ohio winter is one rain turning to sleet turning to snow flurries event after another. But we do have winter storm warnings up now, maybe we will get some snow to cover up the mud we have had all winter.
Our camper never gets winterized as we use it all year. As I type its patiently waiting in the heated barn ready for anything.
We are heading to Tygart lake to participate in a reef building volunteer weekend 2-23-08 (search Tygart Lake). Will be sinking leftover pine trees to enhance fishing opportunity's. Any one who comes to help will know where to fish this year! None of the campgrounds are open(who needs them anyway) but I'm sure I will find a place to hide in the woods and roast a chunk of deer leg and maybe fry some fish. I'm just hopping the sun volunteers that weekend!
See ya on the road!

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blues,,,,,,,,yep, I've got em' In the last ten days I've plowed 7 times, pushed the snow back three times with the tractor, and shoveled three roofs.........I'm looking for spring.............TD

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wayward1 wrote:

I guess I started this "blues" thread, not really what I intended.
Btxgraphix; great rig and wonderful place to be any time of year.
Lately a southern Ohio winter is one rain turning to sleet turning to snow flurries event after another. But we do have winter storm warnings up now, maybe we will get some snow to cover up the mud we have had all winter.
Our camper never gets winterized as we use it all year. As I type its patiently waiting in the heated barn ready for anything.
We are heading to Tygart lake to participate in a reef building volunteer weekend 2-23-08 (search Tygart Lake). Will be sinking leftover pine trees to enhance fishing opportunity's. Any one who comes to help will know where to fish this year! None of the campgrounds are open(who needs them anyway) but I'm sure I will find a place to hide in the woods and roast a chunk of deer leg and maybe fry some fish. I'm just hopping the sun volunteers that weekend!
See ya on the road!

Looking back at your original post, you are right.....the title may have led it there, but many the others firmly pushed it in that direction.

Good work on getting out there and doing some good stress relief. And I am jealous of your heated storage...I am sure your TC thanks you. I have to air out my lines every time we go in the winter. We are dieing to go in our new rig....will be going somewhere, maybe even just Chatfield State Park, this weekend. Anywhere to get out. If is snows like crazy we might go to A-Basin. Not sure, but we will be somwhere. [emoticon] I would think with the promise of a smoking deer leg you'd have some extra volunteers for the reef building process.....

Trapperdick....I feel for you. I did start plowing a little bit for cash last year (after those giant storms) but when I go out to plow it is usually sunny by then. I drove my skidsteer around on Saturday in the sun, in my tennis shoes and plowed a couple of driveways and made a little dough. The thing is...pssssst: I have fun doing it! Now, shoveling roofs or sidewalks? No thanks! And don't forget Steve Currett's (sp?) lessons...always tie up!

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now btggraphix, that is a manly camper! Looks like it goes anywhere. Great pix for sure. Enjoyed seeing them.

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you've got me thinking about that smoking deer leg,,,,,,,,,,ummmmmmm yummy....TD

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Now btggraphix, that is a manly camper! Looks like it goes anywhere. Great pix for sure. Enjoyed seeing them.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the pix. I just can't wait to put it to more serious use. I brought it back from Connecticut, took it off the truck for the first time that next weekend, and then took the truck in for a bunch of maintenance and at least one warranty issue (nice that the GM 24 month bumper to bumper warranty is still good until July.) The front hub/differential noise turned out to be a long wait for a pinion bearing to arrive. Now that they got the part and dove in, the whole diff needs work, ring and pinion both need to be replaced and who knows how long it'll take to get those parts. And I'm chuckling a little as the differential spreader they have is not big enough to spread a Dana 70. Doh! So they have to order the TOOL as well! Again, all under warranty so I'm not worried, but it is starting to look like this weekend may not happen, or, sad to say, we might have to take one more trip in the old camper. Nice to have a spare I guess!

I have been planning on doing something of a write-up on it for everyone, but I want to have loading/unloading pictures, pictures of minor issues and neat features etc....but I can't without the truck! Plus I'm also trying to get the other camper ready to sell....So I continue to wait...but I promise to post some sort of review in the near future.

On edit:

whazoo wrote:

I don't think it would have made the White Rim trip you did. I sure enjoyed those pictures of yours and wish the others the best of luck next month. I do think it'll be easy for me to get to some of those kind of places with a giant camper, that I wouldn't be able to with either my old rig or a big camper on a regular 1 ton dually. We shall see....

* This post was edited 02/11/08 06:45pm by btggraphix *

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trapperdick wrote:

Now you've got me thinking about that smoking deer leg,,,,,,,,,,ummmmmmm yummy....TD

Does this help?

[image]

Ooops! That's elk...never mind. [emoticon]

KevinKristie

Evergreen, CO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of getting out and enjoying winter. Those elk steaks look really good, are the shoes going to be saute'ed for an after dinner snack? [emoticon]

Having fun turning money into smoke and noise!
1967 Ford F250 Camper Special
2016 Shasta Airflyte Reissue

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter sure drags on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.