|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter sure drags on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KevinKristie wrote:

I like the idea of getting out and enjoying winter. Those elk steaks look really good, are the shoes going to be saute'ed for an after dinner snack? [emoticon]

[emoticon] As I recall, they were being dried from the day of fishing, and getting a little wet.... Of course, that was a summertime/backpacking adventure, so maybe cheating a little on this winter thread....

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FarcticOx and Leighc:

....yeah right [emoticon] What is winter in the Northeast and central North? Well, i'll tell you:

-gale-force winds, -20F blowing snow, incessant ice storms from December to March, few if any sunny dry cold days;

-the above make for abysmal x-country ski, snowshoeing and down-hill ski conditions;

-the Northeast's excessively-high relative winter humidity is turning the rapidly-aging population here into an eczema and arthritis-ridden legacy that will not be unnoticed by the southern climate taxpayer base, who will have to bear the brunt of institutional medical care costs for tens-of-millions of elderly for the next 20 years;

-the cost to infrastructure is immeasurable, as hundreds of millions of tons of winter road salt decimates every concrete structure in the northern-latitude Americas with metal reinforcement and bridge, threatening to cost trillions$ to Southerners rehabilitate;

-the unfathomable heating bills to keep those tens-of-millions of homes heated is driving up the fuel costs for everyone (this alone is an inexcusable act that no one, southerner or northerner, can afford);

-and much, much more...

From a life-long skier (42 years of skiing and snowshoeing), don't believe anyone who tells you that Northeastern ski and snow conditions are good much beyond a hand-full of dry sunny ski-days a year; they are positively atrocious. If you enjoy skiing on a solid ice base, in freezing rain 10~14 ski weekends a year, and -30F 35-mile-an-hour driving winds, in high-humidity under gray skies 97% of the time, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. If you like to miss 20% of the winter's work days from ice storms, and drive treacherous icy roads from December to March, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. If you want your $40,000 vehicle to degrade to a rusted-out hulk in less than 5 years, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. One of the reasons why I quit entirely skiing the Northeast was for the fabulous skiing of the western sun-filled, powder snow conditions of the western Rockies. Where, for at least a month a year, you can ski in a T-shirt in warm dry air, under a fabulous sun. Then, drive home to a relatively snowless warm neighborhood (ask those in California!), and jump into the hot-tub, in "winter."

IMO: The only reason that people who tout the Northeast in winter are still here, are because they have not the will to go south or southwest during the winter, or to move south/southwest permanently. Or, have sick elderly or family member up here that need care.

We will be leaving the Northeast shortly for southern/southwestern climes for the entire winter period from here on, and only returning well after the Northeast snow is well gone.

Good luck to you Northeasterners who willingly remain here during winter, well knowing what is in store for you [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeez, I thought I was having fun![emoticon]

Ted

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lordy that was truly depressing Silversand. Guess I'd better go check myself for NorthEast health problems! Just got in from the almost daily exercise of snowblowing/shovelling the new 10" of snow we got overnight. Now it is sleeting/raining and sticking on the trees. That will mean power outages later today so I'll be hauling firewood up from the cellar. I just look at winter in the NorthEast as a daily exercise program.

Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

FarcticOx and Leighc:

....yeah right [emoticon] What is winter in the Northeast and central North? Well, i'll tell you:

-gale-force winds, -20F blowing snow, incessant ice storms from December to March, few if any sunny dry cold days;

-the above make for abysmal x-country ski, snowshoeing and down-hill ski conditions;

-the Northeast's excessively-high relative winter humidity is turning the rapidly-aging population here into an eczema and arthritis-ridden legacy that will not be unnoticed by the southern climate taxpayer base, who will have to bear the brunt of institutional medical care costs for tens-of-millions of elderly for the next 20 years;

-the cost to infrastructure is immeasurable, as hundreds of millions of tons of winter road salt decimates every concrete structure in the northern-latitude Americas with metal reinforcement and bridge, threatening to cost trillions$ to Southerners rehabilitate;

-the unfathomable heating bills to keep those tens-of-millions of homes heated is driving up the fuel costs for everyone (this alone is an inexcusable act that no one, southerner or northerner, can afford);

-and much, much more...

From a life-long skier (42 years of skiing and snowshoeing), don't believe anyone who tells you that Northeastern ski and snow conditions are good much beyond a hand-full of dry sunny ski-days a year; they are positively atrocious. If you enjoy skiing on a solid ice base, in freezing rain 10~14 ski weekends a year, and -30F 35-mile-an-hour driving winds, in high-humidity under gray skies 97% of the time, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. If you like to miss 20% of the winter's work days from ice storms, and drive treacherous icy roads from December to March, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. If you want your $40,000 vehicle to degrade to a rusted-out hulk in less than 5 years, come and visit (or, live) in the Northeast winter. One of the reasons why I quit entirely skiing the Northeast was for the fabulous skiing of the western sun-filled, powder snow conditions of the western Rockies. Where, for at least a month a year, you can ski in a T-shirt in warm dry air, under a fabulous sun. Then, drive home to a relatively snowless warm neighborhood (ask those in California!), and jump into the hot-tub, in "winter."

IMO: The only reason that people who tout the Northeast in winter are still here, are because they have not the will to go south or southwest during the winter, or to move south/southwest permanently. Or, have sick elderly or family member up here that need care.

We will be leaving the Northeast shortly for southern/southwestern climes for the entire winter period from here on, and only returning well after the Northeast snow is well gone.

Good luck to you Northeasterners who willingly remain here during winter, well knowing what is in store for you [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

YEAH, what they said!!!

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got 4" last night on top of the ice and 3" of snow from yesterday. I guess I should not complain. I'm just glad we have snow instead of rain and mud. I'm hoping to get out in it this weekend if it last!

Two Maineiacs; I spent about 3 weeks at Moosehead lake canoeing and fishing around 20 years ago, it must be beautifully there with the snow on.

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/08 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I remember why I live in the Northeast,,,,,,,,,,It's less crowded.....oh ! and I enjoy bleeding the rest of the country of their retirement savings to pay for my arthrits-ridden legacy..........TD [emoticon]

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Jeez, I thought I was having fun!

Truly sorry everyone; but this is how I look at it as a 27-year alumnus of the Northeast (the rest of my adult life was spent in the tropics and west coast Khalif-Fornia). You don't have to agree; I know some will, and some won't [emoticon] [emoticon]

As a consolation for those who love the Northeast in winter: I just finished moving, by hand, the last 120-feet of snow that our contractor couldn't reach by tractor. It's just started freezing rain (for the 11th time this winter). Jeez, and this all the way up near Montreal, in February [emoticon]

Cheer up!
Silver-

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/08 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix, that's a great looking rig! How tall is it? Looks like you just made it throught that tunnel! We just got back from some "winter" camping too. Our trip. Highs in the upper 50's and lows in the upper 20's. Not bad at all compared to what I've just finished reading. [emoticon] Dave.

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/08 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll get through it silversand,,,,,,,,we always do. But I do have to admit it's probably pretty nice in Tuson right about now, it's just not in the cards for me...I hope you make to where ever is is you want to go.......Happy Camping.............TD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter sure drags on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.