RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Disney World Camping

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Florida Cracker

Titusville FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/02 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridagirl-
Check with Disney and see when they have the special rates for Florida residents. We took the grandkids there a couple of years ago and it was only twenty something a night. You have to ask because they don't volenteer mutch Info.

Bill

(And one spoiled rotten little dog)

FloridaGirl

Gulf Breeze Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/02 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida Cracker thanks for the info. when I call Disney I will be sure and ask if they have any discounts for Fl residents. We are planing to go sometime in Nov.
Thanks again

Kaz

Atlanta, GA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/02 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridagirl -- when our kids were young, we went to Disney World every Thanksgiving (that's the cheap season at Disney), and always stayed at the Fort Wilderness campground. We asked for the 100-200-300 loops, and usually got what we wanted. These are all "preferred sites"; they all seemed good. The spaces can be narrow, but never any problem getting in or out. The public restrooms and showers were fine -- very clean. There's a petting zoo, and for some reason our kids remained fascinated with the goats. There are also several restaurants in the campground itself; just what you would expect from Disney -- shows, movies, Disney characters. The campground can get a little frenetic at times (hey, it's Disney World!) but it settles down at night and it's never bothersome. We always took the ferry boat across the lake to and from Disney World. That was one more benefit of the campgroud: few to no lines getting home at night. I've also stayed at the Turkey Lake campground in Orlando. Nice and cheap, but pretty open. For a trip to Disney, though, I wouldn't pass up Fort Wilderness.

Ozarks_Don

Springfield, Missouri, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/02 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Floridagirl,
We spent 5 days at Ft. Wilderness last August. The preferred loops were full, we stayed in loop 1700 and liked it. The streets and pads are paved, they are just a little tight, but my wife backed our 29 ft Airstream in first try! We had our daughter and 9 yr old grandson and their pom with us. Grandson liked the private "swamp and jungle" at each lot. The bushes and trees do make the lot very private. Just a short walk to the bus stop, then take the boat to Magic Kingdom for bus or monorail connections to other parks. The transportation and convenience was worth the higher price. It did rain every evening so we missed out on some of the free kids stuff at Ft. Wilderness.

'Tis a privilege to live in the Ozarks! ">
If you can read this...thank a Teacher.
Since it is in English...thank a Veteran.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/02 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camped inside and outside Disney property when visiting there. When on property I prefer to drive to the parks instead of the busses because it is much quicker than waiting for busses and sometimes transferring bus lines. Sometimes we take the busses even so - or the boat (that is fun to go over the car traffic on the water bridge).

Whether staying inside or outside the park, we often drive the MH there (rentals in the past), so that we can go out and take a nap mid day or have a meal that is not $400 per person ;-) Having a camper in the lot can actually be faster and more convenient than staying right on the monorail depending on how early you get there to park close in, and which park you are going to - some have parking very convient to entrance.

As for Fort Wilderness - I also recommend a cart though the rental is pricy as it is a big CG. Kids seemed to have as much fun running around the huge area exploring in the cart as half the Disney rides.

-Jim

BG1811

Paducah, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/02 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the Disney web site and attempted to book two nights at Fort Wilderness. We have tickets already. I kept getting an error message that you have to book three nights. Is this correct or was I doing something wrong?

2004 Monaco Diplomat 40DST (Bath and half) - 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid FMCA F288615
AND Our Wonderful Norwegian Forest Cat, Mackenzie

FloridaGirl

Gulf Breeze Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/02 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kaz,
Thanks for all the info on Disney. We are planning a trip in Nov. Hopefully it won't be as crowded at that time of year as it is in the summer months. Campgground sounds really nice and we can't wait to camp there. After camping in the park do you agree that loops 100 thur 700 are the best?. Everyone who has stayed there always mentions those loops.

Tim & Rhonda
1999 jayco eagle 30'
2002 Chev Silverado 2500 HD

Kaz

Atlanta, GA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/02 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to which loops are best, as I mentioned, we always stayed in in the 100-300 loops, but I'm sure those that border those (400, 500, and 700) are just as good. Ft. Wilderness is a pretty big campground, so some of the outer loops might be a bit of a hike, or you'd have to take the little shuttle bus. But, keeping it in perspective, you're probably going to be walking your po-po off anyway ... a little extra distance at the campground probably won't even be noticed. We never rented golf carts (always brought our bicycles) but that sounds like fun too.

johnas

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/02 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay away from loop 2000, or anyother loop with a big field that allows tenting parties. My brother and his family just returned and had a beautiful time there until 5 days of his 8 day trip. Then tenters came with their wild parties till dawn. They drank, were rowdy, cut through sites during the day and the middle of the night. During most of the day the adults were tired of partying and let their kids run amock. Again, crying, screaming and running through sites. True, Disney security did come and straightened the situation out, but that was only temporary. They were also made to park access cars elsewhere. I think Disney shouldn't stand for that, and if they didn't listen should have been expelled from the park. Instead, they just responded to my Brother's calls for three days. Yes they did respond, but not enough was done, because in my opinion he shouldn't have to spend three days calling security. We've stayed there three times and never had those problems, but we always stay where there are only full hook-ups. We really liked it there but switched cc to save some $$$$. Next time my brother's going to try Tropical Palms. That's where we stayed and absolutely loved it, and saved $400.00USD.

Johnas

CajunOnTheMove

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/02 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know some have mentioned a few CGs outside of disney and I am checking on those. However if anyone has any info on CGs close to Disney that have not been discussed please post them. I have called now twice with 3 alternate dates for this summer and Disney says NO VACANCY. Also would it be better to just postpone the trip till there is a spot or is going to and from not that big of a hassle. I want a vacation not a nightmare. Personally I can live without Mickey for a few more months if it saves me a whole lot of frustration however if there is a nice park close saving a few $$$ wouldnt upset me either. Thanks guys/gals for any help. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.