|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Chaco Canyon, NM Trip Report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Surely that washboard road would have been worse without your smooth riding IFS front end.

[emoticon]

Joyce:

Its too bad you had gotten ill while at Chaco. I'm sure you will visit again, and spend more time there !

Cheers,
Silver

*I have to mention that the text was written by my better half, here in RV.net known as Silverdunes! I was responsible for packaging and editing only [emoticon]

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A wonderful report!

Lynn

....thanks Lynn! Gotta love that New Mexico; nothing like it on Earth [emoticon]

crofter

MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report! I was there two years ago - remember that washboard road leading in very well. I tried coming in from the south, on a road that my GPS showed, but it was so bad, I circled a hundred miles around and came in the other way. And the climb to the rim, scrambling over boulders - but the view was worth it all. I hope to get back there next spring. A question - are you a Tony Hillerman fan? Some of his books deal with the Anasazi ruins, and he seems to be a local industry there, with his books sold everywhere.
The other reason I'd like to get back to the area is to go to the rug auction - Navajo weavers bring their rugs once a month and they are auctioned at the Crownpoint school - woderful rugs and great bargains.

Crofter

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You and the better half did a great write up. It really excites me to think within the next year, I will retire and have the opportunity to see places such as Chaco.

I will probably tow my Zuke. Do you think it will be advantages for site seeing?

Thanks for the post.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Harleybullet

Holbrook, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report...loved the pictures. What is the closest town or highway to the ruins.... where do you check in before you go if any?

Keep traveling and reporting........Dave

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful write-up. We too enjoyed Chaco. We think it is the best of all of them. Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelle, Aztec Ruins etc.
The hike around the rim is about 4-5 miles but is a must do if you go there.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

jmcgsd

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report. We hosted at Chaco for several years and I still maintaind a website that you should check out. It's
dont-pave-chaco.com
This unique heritage is being threatened by interests that want to pave the road from US 550 to Chaco. If and when that happens, Chaco will turn into another Mesa Verde, and visitors will be limited to Ranger guided tours and a much more structured experience.

'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report and photos - I see you use the "ole marker tent " trick as well [emoticon]

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver, my thanks to your better half for a great report on one of my new favorite areas. We had a chance to visit Mesa Verde and Four Corners while we were in Moab running the White Rim this year. Great camping, terrific scenery and (with clear skies)...lots of stars. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Damdifino

Comfort, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmcgsd wrote:

This unique heritage is being threatened by interests that want to pave the road from US 550 to Chaco. If and when that happens, Chaco will turn into another Mesa Verde, and visitors will be limited to Ranger guided tours and a much more structured experience.

Amen to that. Just as Chaco appears to have been a crossroads of ancient civilizations, my path almost always takes me through there when I'm in the Four Corners area. Chaco is an experience that can't be described--only experienced. I consider it to be one of the most spiritually infused places on the continent. If they pave the roads in, the ambience will be destroyed forever. Go there now, before it's destroyed.

2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Chaco Canyon, NM Trip Report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.