RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Southern Comfort Truck Camper Rally trip report

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Southern Comfort Truck Camper Rally trip report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/08 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Southern Comfort Truck Camper Rally

Petersburg COE – Appling, GA – 4/4/2008 thru 4/6/2008

Participants:
Kim and Dave, Stu and Darlene, Terry and Carole, Boyd and Marsha, Jim and Mary, Billy and Dale

Campground Rating:
5 (out of 5)

Rating reasons / About the campground:
Campsites very clean and neat - most are pull through, large, and flat; large pavilions; bathrooms/shower house clean; boat ramp still usable even with the water down; no camp store (shop n' rob less than 1 mile, Augusta, GA within 15 miles)

Campsite number:

[image]

[image]

[image]

About our trip:
We were originally going to take JC (Ashley's friend) with us but because rain was predicted Friday and Saturday, Christy (JC's mom) offered to watch Ashley for us instead. We left the decision up to the girls and they opted to stay behind. I thought it was a great choice (especially for us!!!). Gets rather cramped in the TC when it’s raining. It rained off and on the drive to the campground. We arrived around 8:00 and amazingly, the rain had stopped. After we removed the camper and took Bandit for a walk, we decided to have a campfire (We brought a 4x8 foot trailer full of wood!). Of course, as soon as the fire was going it started to rain.

Camper loaded and ready to go (trailer full of wood and note the yellow dusting on the hood of the truck):

[image]

After breakfast, we met a few of the other rally members. Got the fire roaring and of course the rain started yet again. Thankfully, we had the foresight to remove the camper from truck on Friday night with the intentions of going to a movie Saturday. We drove down to Augusta (15 miles) and ate lunch then saw “Leatherhead”. It was a cute movie (guys…you know what I mean). When we arrived back at the campsite, Kim started making the Broccoli Salad. I revived the fire and started cooking the pork loin, sweet potatoes, and corn on the cob. We all met up at the pavilion at 6pm and had an incredible potluck supper. Most came back to our site for a wet campfire (do you see the theme of the rally yet?).

Around the campfire:

Kim, Darlene, and Stu.
[image]

Stu, Marsha, and Boyd.
[image]

Me and Terry
[image]

I would like to thank Boyd and Marsha for leaving the campfire Saturday night because as soon as they did it stopped raining!
Sunday morning brought another “potluck” breakfast and even some SUN!!

Breakfast at the pavilion:

[image]

I’d like to thank Jim and Sue for the very tasty venison sausage. That’s something I can never have enough of. I think I ate enough food this weekend to last me a week. Sure was good. After we gorged ourselves, we went out for a ride on Boyd and Marsha’s pontoon boat (A second thank-you is in order). We even tried a little fishing but no luck. Sunday turned out to be nice. In fact, I ended up being sunburned in the 2 hours we spent on the pontoon boat.
One thing that’s nice about Georgia rest areas are the availability of dump stations. From what I’ve heard, all the rest areas on Georgia’s interstates are supposed to have dump stations and I have yet to find one that doesn’t. It was a good thing we were driving past one because the dump station at the campground had a class A and a travel trailer waiting in line when we left.
Overall, a good trip even with the poor weather, we were able to meet some wonderful people, and unfortunately gained a little weight. Until next time, Dave.

P.S. Here’s the recipe for Broccoli Salad.

Broccoli Salad

Ingredients:

16 oz broccoli shaved
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 red apples chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup of any nuts (slivered almonds work well)
1 red onion chopped (optional) (we don't use any)
Dressing (1-cup mayo; 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (to taste); 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar)

Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients and then mix with dressing

Couple more pix:

Terry and Carole's camper on site 21:

[image]

Jim and Sue's camper on 20:

[image]

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/08 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like a good time, not all rainy weekends are bad.
You guys are pretty hardy sitting at the fire with umbrellas.

Thanks for the post.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/08 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like great fun there Dave. Where's that generator? Oh yeah, campground has hookups. Super pix of a good time. Thanks a bunch!
Dave Rogers

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/08 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Looks like great fun there Dave. Where's that generator? Oh yeah, campground has hookups. Super pix of a good time. Thanks a bunch!
Dave Rogers
Sorry, Dave. We can't produce the kind of scenery you're used to[emoticon]. Even with the rain we still had a good time. Dave.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/08 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you kidding me Dave? I love your scenery, superbly beautiful rig, and something you have that I don't, friends in your pix all having a good time regardless of weather. My wife and I miss those green trees and forests with lakes. Believe me, I look forward to more pictures of the same from you. No my friend, I envy you!

Jeepers92

Stockbridge, GA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/08 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a great time to....was nice to share time and food with the group...

[image]

my first time adding photos...hope this works

B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/08 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jeepers, Almost but please try again.

Jeepers92

Stockbridge, GA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/08 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

excuse my persistance...

[image][/img]

Jeepers92

Stockbridge, GA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/08 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one more time..

[image][/img]

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/08 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where do your pix reside, photobucket, webshots? Typically there are several options for linking and you need to click on the "img" to copy the header. Then go to this page (I usually have 2 windows open at the same time) and paste the header. But your pix do need to be on a web site somewhere.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Southern Comfort Truck Camper Rally trip report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.