|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC in Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fishdmax

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/08 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been driving to Mexico the past ten years. I started with a Ford Explorer and a TT, then a 2002 GMC and FW, one year in a Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, and the last two years in my 2007 GMC and Hallmark Ute LTD.
[image]

The FW was great, pulled it to the Yucatan in 2002. The VW was a good size to be able to explore more of the counrty, but lacked a few too many comforts. The pop up TC enables me to cover more ground and go places I would not attempt pulling a trailer. A lot of the people with bigger rigs are envious of my mobility. I am starting to see a few more TCs on my travels in Mexico.
This is my first attempt to post a picture, hope it works. It was taken on last years trip in Huatabampito, near Navojoa, Sonora.

[image]

This year in Teacapan, Sinaloa.

[image]
Sunset on the Pacific.

I love my TC, a great setup for traveling Mexico.
Left Colorado in snow at the end of February, returned to snow first week of April. 3800 miles

* This post was last edited 04/15/08 10:19pm by fishdmax *   View edit history

2007 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4
2002 Hallmark Ute Ltd

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/08 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're more adventurous than I. Nice campsite, though, and thanks for sharing.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/08 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't made it to mainland Mexico yet but have been to Baja a couple of times and loved it.

Here is a campsite we found by taking a dirt road off of Baja Hwy 1 just south of El Rosario.
[image]

This is Baja Hwy 5 south of Puertecitos. They supposedly have plans to eventually pave this all the way to where it connects back into Baja Hwy 1.
[image]

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 04:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice photo report on Mexico!

Good to finally see a Mexico report.

Everyone:

However, don't be shy to post more pics and write-ups; the Mexico reports, I believe, will prove to be extremely popular.

I'll post it to 'Trip Reports' this weekend.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

F350OilBurner

Central MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it safe to travel in Mexico these days? What if any special precautions do you take for safety? I've heard stories about how bad the Frito Banditos are becoming down there with blatant robberies and crimes committed on unsuspecting travelers. Or is that being overplayed based on a few incidents?

2006 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW
6.0 PSD w/TorqShift 4x4 4.10LSD
Airlift Airbags/SureSet Controller - Timbrens

2007 Lance 1181 - All the Options
Torklift Superhitch/Tiedowns/Fastguns

fishdmax

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have spent over 300 days RVing in Mexico in the past ten years without any major problems. There is a wealth of information in the "RVing in Mexico and South America" section of this forum. The first trip can be a little intimidating and going with a veteran traveler is very helpful. I've been traveling solo the past five years and feel comfortable in Mexico. The reason for my original post is to share how much more of the country I can explore in my TC compared to the other rigs I have taken down there. My Hallmark has preformed flawlessly the past two years. Diesel was a little over $2 a gallon this year and on the toll roads I pay the same tolls as a passenger car. On the way back between Lordsburg and Santa Fe NM I got 16.8 mpg with the cruise set at 65mph. The TC is an inexpensive way to enjoy Mexico. Feel free to PM me if you cannot find the answers to your questions in the Mexico section of this forum.

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fishdmax wrote:

I've been driving to Mexico the past ten years. I started with a Ford Explorer and a TT, then a 2002 GMC and FW, one year in a Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, and the last two years in my 2007 GMC and Hallmark Ute LTD.
[image]

The FW was great, pulled it to the Yucatan in 2002. The VW was a good size to be able to explore more of the counrty, but lacked a few too many comforts. The pop up TC enables me to cover more ground and go places I would not attempt pulling a trailer. A lot of the people with bigger rigs are envious of my mobility. I am starting to see a few more TCs on my travels in Mexico.
This is my first attempt to post a picture, hope it works. It was taken on last years trip in Huatabampito, near Navojoa, Sonora.

[image]

This year in Teacapan, Sinaloa.

[image]
Sunset on the Pacific.

I love my TC, a great setup for traveling Mexico.
Left Colorado in snow at the end of February, returned to snow first week of April. 3800 miles

Great Photos of a Hallmark Camper [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.