RV.Net Open Roads Forum: We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 01:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby, at the mouth of the Columbia River for our first outing this year.
Our trip began with a lot of problems. Had truck and camper loaded and ready to go. I was called to stop at jobsite for a couple hours to resolve issues. Went to start truck to leave and the battery was dead. Got jump from F-250 PSD and started ok. Got up to top of hill and truck died again. Now I'm stranded, blocking traffic and DW is waiting to be picked up at her Tacoma WA office on the way to Cape Disappointment to save time, 40 miles from home without her truck. While I'm stuck blocking traffic, talking to a cop, waiting for a tow, an impatient person felt he had to punch the gas and whip around in a hurry but instead he ended up rearending another car right in front of the cop. Relax pal. Got tow to Ford dealer and they tested the electrical and determined it was a battery that had suddenly failed. Got a new battery and all was well again. Only set us back two hours and $90.00. From there on, it became a great escape weekend. Sunny 75~ degrees on Saturday. Hiked about 7 miles of trails and beach. Went through the Lewis and Clark Visitors Center which has a fantastic view of the river and is a good spot for whale watching. This is a very well maintained state park and the campsites are close to the surf. There is surf fishing on the beach. Astoria Oregon is about a 30-40 minute drive and has a lot of interesting things to see such as their Maritime Museum and the Astoria Tower.
Had a campfire Saturday Night. Made hotdog's and smores then enjoyed the sunset and stargazed. Sunday the rains had returned but that was fine. We slept in and had a relaxed leisurely morning over pancakes, eggs and ham with coffee. We forced ourselves to leave at 2:00. Here are a few pictures. I highly recommend this place to y'all. Make reservations online if possible, it is a very popular (and rightly so) park.

Jeff

The tree canopy road into the camping area.
[image]

The end of the Lewis and Clark Trail.
[image]

Lots of marshland.
[image]

Old Fort Canby. Began as a fort to defend the Columbia River from the Confederate States, later WW-I, WW-II. The newer structure is the Lewis and Clark Visitors Center.
[image]

Samples of clothing worn during the expedition.
[image]

Lighthouse lens from the mid 1800's
[image]

View from the visitor's center looking SE.
[image]

Better looking view.
[image]

View from the visitor's center looking W out to Pacific.
[image]

Beach access near Visitor's Center.
[image]

Lighthouse and Visitor's Center on top of the hill.
[image]

Beach next to campground area. North Lighthouse.
[image]

Just sitting there.
[image]

Charlie found a good cat spot. He's a great camper.
[image]

Near sunset. Getting the campfire ready and Kelli getting sticks ready for hotdog's and smores.
[image]

Another view of the campsite.
[image]

Abandoned lifeboat.
[image]

Kelli on the beach in the sunset.
[image]

Surf fishing.
[image]

END

* This post was edited 04/16/08 01:45am by an administrator/moderator *

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 03:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why two threads?

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 04:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice reportage/photo report!

I'll post it to 'Trip Reports' this weekend.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Michigan Rod

Troy,MI.,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures Jeff. I've got to get back out there someday.

2003Chevy LT3500,crew cab,4x4,Duramax/Allison,Firestone air bags w/in cab controls,Rancho RS 9000X shocks,cabover struts,Happijac tiedowns.Rhino bed liner. ReeseTowBeast.
2004 Lance 1161,generator,sofa,twin beds,rear observation camera,Chet's AirFoil

RevLeonidas

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...great photo essay! Thanks for the preview; my lovely wife and I have reservations for mid-June; by that time we will likely be campin' in the fog and cold [emoticon] but ain't that what makes our home so green?

Looks like the good weather we had here in Portland that weekend came with you to the coast: nice!

Did you get to do any fishin'?

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pics. Those of us stuck back here in the east really ENJOY looking at these pics from your trips out west. Keep 'em coming.[emoticon]. Gary

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

Left_coast*9

Bonney Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Say "Thank you", Joe, don't rain on his parade. I for one, really enjoyed the pics. And perhaps the Moderator fixed the issue, but I only see one thread. Thanks, and Happy Campering!

2006 Dodge CTD, SRW LB 4WD AT, bags, 19.5 Visions and Hankook 265s, Hellwig Rear Swaybar, Ranchos
2007 Eagle Cap 950, EU2000i, dual Trojan 6V T105s, pretty well loaded

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all.

Sorry for the double post. There are a few pictures unique to each post and I consider this to be the better post if one has to be eliminated.
The reason there is a second post is I was having problems with my DSL connection on the provider's side and my internet service was intermitent. I had been working on the first post an hour or so then clicked to post. My DSL connection chose to have one of it's intermitent failures at that same time. All I got on screen was a message of failure on the server, then nothing. I was offline for several hours after that trying to get things restored. The provider routed me to a different DSL server and all is well again. It never occured to me that the first post could have gone through after that event.

There must be a reason to the name "Cape Disappointment". Originally, we were going to go whale watching there in early January. We were all loaded up ready to go and then suddenly the right head gasket on my F-250's 5.4 liter engine failed. I had bubbles in the coolant and a touch of water in the oil. It took me a month of evenings and weekends to disassemble, get machine work done, replace a few other parts and to reassemble the truck. Recall that this second trip almost didn't happen when my battery failed and now that I'm trying to tell the story, my internet failed. The truck runs beautifully now but I'll tell you, everytime I think of going to that park, something bad happens.

Fishing:
I talked to a couple guys that were surf fishing. They were catching Redtail, I think he called them. They were using a good sized disk weight on the end of the line with two small red hooks with clam necks on them higher up. The hooke were spaced about 2' up from the weight with a 1' leader and the second was about 16" above that with another 1' leader. They had caught 15 of the Redtail one morning, then 6 the next, but nothing Sunday as the weather had turned and the surf was rougher. The Redtail feed in the surf, in as close as where the water is as little as 1' deep. He said they are a white fish and quite tasty fried with butter.

We are trying to decide what a good place to go to is in the next couple weeks. All the places I want to go to in the Cascades will be covered in snow for at least another 6-8 weeks due to record snowfall. We have a forcast for mixed snow and rain in Seattle for Saturday. This has been the longest, coldest, snowiest, wettest winter in years. Anyway, there are a couple places we might go to just to go. One out by Port Angeles we have been to during the "Port Angeles Crab and Seafood Festival" and the other North on Whidbey Island we have not been to. Might combine the Whidbey trip with the Tulip Festival making that the first choice. We are trying to get out and do all those things you say I'd like to do that but never seem to get a chance to do.

Jeff

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure do miss the ocean. Hopefully this Fall we will make it.

Gorgeous pics. Thanks

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 100 (so far) watts solar.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/08 02:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Left_coast*9 wrote:

Say "Thank you", Joe, don't rain on his parade. I for one, really enjoyed the pics. And perhaps the Moderator fixed the issue, but I only see one thread. Thanks, and Happy Campering!

Sorry, I was tired and confused and just put up my question without really hashing it out as I should have. The website was being a jacktard that night and I've been on a heavy regiment of antibiotics for a respitory infection, along with codine cough syrup. As I say at work, "I'm a bit adlepaited at the moment."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We went to Cape Disappointment State Park / Fort Canby WA.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.